Toyocom OBD1 reader review (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Whatever he has left...he has one less now:cool:

yep, mine is in the mail too. lots of questions get answers on his facebook page.

Can you provide what normal numbers are for these readings? my O2 banks go from rich to lean constantly, my ignition timing has a large range, and I have no idea what's normal since I got this thing to monitor and make sure it stays normal haha..
so what's normal for your rig?

Wish like hell he had it setup for the 3FE. I would’ve made this a priority a long time ago. As it is I would have to run it in universal mode and splice wires into my ecu and live with whatever signals it can read. Not worth it to me at this point but it sure is damn cool.

Wish like hell he had it setup for the 3FE. I would’ve made this a priority a long time ago. As it is I would have to run it in universal mode and splice wires into my ecu and live with whatever signals it can read. Not worth it to me at this point but it sure is damn cool.
Seemed like the 3FE was possibly, maybe, being developed??? Anyone know about the status of that endeavor?

Just ordered one........ Does he ship pretty fast?

Woot woot...... just got an ounce in da maaaaail....

15484630617631930498262.jpg

Ordered mine last night!

I got mine, but since I'm a cart before horse guy, I'm not sure what to use it with. My daily cell is an iPhone, I have a Galaxy s6 active sitting in a drawer, I may use that for a while. It seems like getting a decent 8" Android tablet with 64gb memory minimum isn't cheap. if I grab a tablet, it will be GPS (topo maps and such), and the toyocom.

I got mine, but since I'm a cart before horse guy, I'm not sure what to use it with. My daily cell is an iPhone, I have a Galaxy s6 active sitting in a drawer, I may use that for a while. It seems like getting a decent 8" Android tablet with 64gb memory minimum isn't cheap. if I grab a tablet, it will be GPS (topo maps and such), and the toyocom.

I picked up Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 - SM-T230NU, 8GB, Wi-Fi, 7in used from ebay for 40 $ very high quality added 64 GB micro SD

I rotated it and installed navigation FMS musik amd more

Just order one. 5 more left in this batch.

So just rec'd my Toyocom but am curious, is everyone mounting it in the engine bay OBD1 port as is? I noted that the rectangular plastic housing is not sealed around where the harness passes through and the housing in general doesn't appear to be all that robust considering the engine bay environment. Prolly being overly critical but wondering if I'm missing something. Other than that I'm looking forward to getting this thing fired up!

So just rec'd my Toyocom but am curious, is everyone mounting it in the engine bay OBD1 port as is? I noted that the rectangular plastic housing is not sealed around where the harness passes through and the housing in general doesn't appear to be all that robust considering the engine bay environment. Prolly being overly critical but wondering if I'm missing something. Other than that I'm looking forward to getting this thing fired up!
Yes, mount in engine bay, I just plugged up and zip tied to harness. The first one I had got water in it when I washed the engine bay, stupid on my part for not removing it. I had it a year without issue before that. The second I have had since this thread started and no issues with it at all.

Ordered mine up and a question for the Android crowd. I've never used Android OS and will be looking for a used but reliable Android smart phone for this and maybe Gaia/music/podcasts. Any recommendations? I was talking with a friend about the Samsung Galaxy S5 or the LG Nexus 5x or 6p. Any specific version of the OS the reader requires? I didn't see it on the website. Any help is appreciated. Happy to soon be putting my paperclip diagnostic days behind me.

Ordered mine up and a question for the Android crowd. I've never used Android OS and will be looking for a used but reliable Android smart phone for this and maybe Gaia/music/podcasts. Any recommendations? I was talking with a friend about the Samsung Galaxy S5 or the LG Nexus 5x or 6p. Any specific version of the OS the reader requires? I didn't see it on the website. Any help is appreciated. Happy to soon be putting my paperclip diagnostic days behind me.
Pretty sure the device I am running it on is android 5.1. I have run it on my note 6 and 8 as well so it seems pretty robust in that area. It updates just fine on the 5.1 device as well. I leave wifi and auto update on so when I'm parked in the garage it gets on wifi and updates the app if needed.

if this helps:
I fired up a Galaxy s6 active that I had lying around. It is running android 5.1.1 It paired with the Toyocom obd1 reader just fine for me.
I got it(the phone), up on my house wifi, downloaded the app to the phone, went outside and connected reader to obd port. Started truck, started the app, told the app to look for devices, and boom, connected. I didn't even have to enter the 4 digit code.
I need to do some more messing around though as I thought it would read check engine codes, but I couldn't get that to happen.

if this helps:
I fired up a Galaxy s6 active that I had lying around. It is running android 5.1.1 It paired with the Toyocom obd1 reader just fine for me.
I got it(the phone), up on my house wifi, downloaded the app to the phone, went outside and connected reader to obd port. Started truck, started the app, told the app to look for devices, and boom, connected. I didn't even have to enter the 4 digit code.
I need to do some more messing around though as I thought it would read check engine codes, but I couldn't get that to happen.
It does, you have to check CEL as a display option... Then you can just click it and it runs the code reader. It's pretty slick, will display the code and define it for you. Of course you have to have a code or it will be blank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom