Towing with a 200-series Toyota Land Cruiser (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Artie I got 4 of the 1up racks. I also carry around a step stool to get bikes up there. It's a pain at first, but then you start to figure out tricks the more you use it. Smaller bikes in the middle and as far forward as you can. Then the larger ones on the outside and as far back as you can. When unloading, do the back tire side first, then move the whole bike backward so you have a non-pivoting tire holding the bike up while you open up the front.

Shoutout to @TeCKis300 for recommending the equalizer hitch in another thread (I can't find at the moment). I initially was trying the Andersen no-sway system which I loved because it was silent and weighed so little but still had more sway than I wanted for my new 27ft (30 nose to bumper) trailer. Just got back from a short trip in southern ohio where the new WD hitch worked amazingly. Louder, but soooo much more stable.

Since I use the LC for mainly for towing I decided to put some meatier tires on recently too. Went with the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate in size 275/70r18 with some tundra steelies. Heading to the smokies next week and look forward to the new set up

View attachment 2700937

View attachment 2700938
Can you link the hitch you ended up getting? Currently trying to sift through all the different ones. How do you like the Grand Design? Which model did you get?

Amazon product ASIN B01MAWXHHO
Add the Sway Bracket Jackets to help quiet the WD bars.
Yep @TeCKis300 is right on both. I got that brand with the 14k rating. Overkill yes, but it pulls really well. Here's the jackets he mentioned too https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08QRH6B38?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The 14k doesn't come with a ball so had to get that also.

Lowes carries the 1-7/8" thin wall socket that's needed to install the ball to the hitch. PITA but it works. Have some channel locks to pull the socket out because it will likely get stuck.

Went with the GD transcend xplor 247bh. Love it so far. We didn't want slide outs and this one was available so jumped on it. There's an Imagine that has bunks and is shorter but the queen is a Murphy bed. We wanted a permanent one for less fuss at night with 2 tired kids. So far, no problems at all with the camper or the LC! Great on both sides!

C9E9B3EB-EC6E-41C5-930D-36C1F84BE669.jpeg

Towed this from Naples to Charleston. Tow it around a good bit. LC has no rake when towing. Almost the dreaded Carolina Squat!

4LO - Another don't leave home without it tip. Particularly for larger trailers.

When maneuvering a trailer at low speeds, perhaps to get parked on site or onto levelers - flip that low range switch. It'll enable a level of control and precision that can't be had without it. I find it immensely helpful to place my trailer exactly where I want it. Regardless of grade, berms, bumps. Fractional inch precision to get it onto my Anderson curved levelers. No need to load up the torque converter and allows the engine to idle its way to the goal. Besides, it's good to exercise the mechanism and what better way to leverage it.

There's a nice interaction on the LX with WD bars as well. Switching to low range will automatically put the system in AHC high - which relaxes the WD bars. I'll usually throw it in low range as soon as I get to a campground, and the relaxed WD bars help traverse the often uneven terrain with less strain and hitch groan. Then the WD bar are relaxed and almost ready to be removed if I unhitch.

A grey water tank that "overflows" into the black water tank? That's a pretty clever idea!
Just a thought on all of the above. Replacing the toilet with a composting toilet would mitigate all the issues and leave you with just an easily managed grey water tank. And the composting toilet is really easy to manage.

I was setup across from a rare Terra last week at Bastrop State Park (TX) and it was pretty impressive.

Just a thought on all of the above. Replacing the toilet with a composting toilet would mitigate all the issues and leave you with just an easily managed grey water tank. And the composting toilet is really easy to manage.

I was setup across from a rare Terra last week at Bastrop State Park (TX) and it was pretty impressive.

I went with one of these in our Kimberley Kruiser:

I second the Wrappon toilet. We use one with our Conqueror and it’s easy, clean, and easily stowed. I got a wife and young kids and the regular old fashioned way was a drag for them with #2… now we have the robot toilet and it has been killer.

I'm curious if anyone out there is towing a camp trailer with a rear bumper mounted spare. I haven't pulled a tape on my setup but I'm curious if anyone has found a bumper option out there that has a swing that is short enough to miss the tongue jack (obviously this will depend on each individual setup). I'm itching for a LRA tank and it kills me a little inside to think of settling for the 12.5 gal over the 40 gal as they are the same price.

I'm curious if anyone out there is towing a camp trailer with a rear bumper mounted spare. I haven't pulled a tape on my setup but I'm curious if anyone has found a bumper option out there that has a swing that is short enough to miss the tongue jack (obviously this will depend on each individual setup). I'm itching for a LRA tank and it kills me a little inside to think of settling for the 12.5 gal over the 40 gal as they are the same price.
If I may pile on to the swing out question, I'm also curious about what aftermarket bumpers people are using to tow? Seems like getting "tow rated" would be cost prohibitive, but are there any out there that are rated or use the stock hitch receiver? Would a Dissent or Slee rear bumper lower the amount of weight the 200 could safely tow?

If I may pile on to the swing out question, I'm also curious about what aftermarket bumpers people are using to tow? Seems like getting "tow rated" would be cost prohibitive, but are there any out there that are rated or use the stock hitch receiver? Would a Dissent or Slee rear bumper lower the amount of weight the 200 could safely tow?
They all keep the stock hitch.

The Dissent bumper relocates the 7 pin connector into the bumper. Slee I believe rotates it 90 degrees so the plug faces down. I don't think any other bumper touches them.

Hitch pin access and access to the chains is a wildcard with several bumpers

The 200 receiver is part of the frame, so the bumper does not play a role in tow capacity. Our bumpers have access to the hitch pin and safety chain hookups. As mentioned, we rotate the factory plug 90 degrees in the original location with our swingout bumper. With the non-swingout the plug stays in the factory location.

@sleeoffroad - do you have a rig with the rear bumper at your shop that I could swing by and take some measurements on?

I can’t give you real world comments on this yet. However, you are describing a similar trajectory we followed when we ordered our LC and bumpers. We went with Dissent front and rear, rear with a dual swing out. In talking with Ben at Dissent he told me that he designed his rear bumper so he could tow with it. Of course he couldn’t guarantee me that it wouldn’t have issues with my Conqueror as every trailer is different. Just based on some measurements I gave his CAD guy it looks like I’ll be ok but I won’t know until I get the vehicle. My though it if I need some room for clearance I can go with a longer drawbar, I shouldn’t need much if any at all.

Also, we went with the 40 gallon LRA.

As Artie stated, the Dissent 200 rear was designed with towing in mind. The camera gets relocated just above the hitch for great visibility, we relocate the 7pin plug to the bumper, the factory safety chain hookups are easily accessible, the 50/50 swing arms are short enough to open with a trailer in tow.

View attachment 2707158

View attachment 2707170
Very cool. Couple questions:

How easy is it to remove/install the swing outs? For example, if I just wanted to run with the spare tire swing out day to day, then add the right side for trips.

Is there a single central latch like Slee’s or are there two latches?

Thanks!

4LO - Another don't leave home without it tip. Particularly for larger trailers.

When maneuvering a trailer at low speeds, perhaps to get parked on site or onto levelers - flip that low range switch. It'll enable a level of control and precision that can't be had without it. I find it immensely helpful to place my trailer exactly where I want it. Regardless of grade, berms, bumps. Fractional inch precision to get it onto my Anderson curved levelers. No need to load up the torque converter and allows the engine to idle its way to the goal. Besides, it's good to exercise the mechanism and what better way to leverage it.

There's a nice interaction on the LX with WD bars as well. Switching to low range will automatically put the system in AHC high - which relaxes the WD bars. I'll usually throw it in low range as soon as I get to a campground, and the relaxed WD bars help traverse the often uneven terrain with less strain and hitch groan. Then the WD bar are relaxed and almost ready to be removed if I unhitch.
Great tips! We, too, use the Anderson Levelers. I’ve always used left foot braking to manage the travel up onto the levelers. 4Lo is a great idea. As is the idea of relaxing the WD bars.

Very cool. Couple questions:

How easy is it to remove/install the swing outs? For example, if I just wanted to run with the spare tire swing out day to day, then add the right side for trips.

Is there a single central latch like Slee’s or are there two latches?

Thanks!

They are separate latches, but they are easy to open and they don't rattle. Our dual sheer hinge provides better bumper clearance over a traditional weld in spindle and gives you a more rigid swingarm that doesn’t rattle or shake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom