Towing with a 200-series Toyota Land Cruiser (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Friday when I towed our camper to Seward I drove the last ~15 miles with 0 miles on the CPU.
When I go North here in AK I take 10-20gallons of fuel. Transport it on a cargo tray with the 2” receiver I’ve attached to my trailer bumper.

that’s a good idea... what about when towing bikes too? What do you do then, I think I noticed you tow bikes as well if I remember right

that’s a good idea... what about when towing bikes too? What do you do then, I think I noticed you tow bikes as well if I remember right
Yes I usually put bikes on the hitch on a north shore rack. When we do our fall hunt way up north put the bikes in the camper while traveling since the road is dirt. I can get all 4 enduro rigs easily inside. Some other times if I use the cargo tray I have Yakama bike trays so I can put them on the roof although I’m doing that less and less since getting them on and off the roof sucks.

Installed new equalizer brand WDH on the new 2020 Heritage Edition.
Stock suspension. I towed this same trailer with no issues all over the western US with my 2005 100 series. That 100 did have medium OME suspension. I had an old WDH with the 90deg bars and chains. I thought I would upgrade. I considered air bags but might as well try without them before I go down that road and hack my bump stops.
Waiting on suspension till I do bumper & winch. Someday....

Trailer: 1974 25ft Avion LeGrande
GTWR: 7238.. Dry weight: 5363... Payload: 1875
Scaled everything about 10 years ago with normal load.
Trailer: 6440.. Cruiser (100 series): 5780.. Gross: 12220

I know I have sufficient tongue weight due to towing this tin can for a decade but don’t know the actual tongue weight. Water tank is centered on axles. Black tank is at ass end and it will not feel as stable if full. Otherwise tows real nice and uneventful. Even at 75+mph. Trailer suspension is a Mor-Ryde rubber block and bushing pivoting heavy duty thing. I rebuilt the rubber last year. That trailer is built like a tank. Everything is still straight and the wood cabinets close with a finger. Wind gusts.... semi trucks don’t affect the trailer much. I think it helps to have all those round corners.

No road test yet but all the numbers look good. After setting up hitch the rear dropped (at fender well) 1-1/4” and the front returned to same measurement (without trailer hooked up). Guess I guessed right on the number of washers for bar angle. This may just work! The trailer is slightly up at the tongue and that’s OK. A longer drop hitch and 1-1/4 lower would be too low I think. May need that drop hitch later whenever I do suspension and/or tires.

The numbers.. cruiser from ground to fender.. with normal load in back.
No trailer. Front: 34-5/8. Rear: 36-1/8
Trailer.. no WDH. Front: 35-1/2. Rear: 32-7/8
Trailer WDH. Front: 34-5/8. Rear: 34-7/8

View attachment 2373172

View attachment 2373174

View attachment 2373175

View attachment 2373176

View attachment 2373179
Test drive pulling the trailer today. I hooked it up previously when installing the new WD hitch.. but didn’t go anywhere. I posted earlier about measurements and that it seemed this would work with the stock suspension.

I used to tow this same trailer with my 2005 100 all over. It did have OME me rear springs. I’m guessing the tongue weight is at least 800lbs. Maybe more. Just installed ARB drawers in the new HE and loaded them up with my normal things plus some recovery gear.. so I have some typical weight in the cruiser and now needed to see if the stock suspension would work pulling the trailer. It does! In fact really well. Almost dreamy.. Started out adjusting the new Redarc brake.. very nice with smooth braking. Kind of builds up to the braking force you set. No jerking around. Even pushing the button without cruiser brakes applied is real smooth. I like it. I think the stock cruiser will handle the trailer fine without air bags. Sitting pretty level. I drove almost an hour trying twisty roads.. braking hard.. freeway. Passing semi trucks. Real stable at 75mph. Picked some bumpy country roads too. I think the adaptive cruise will work fine in some situations. The WD hitch seems to be matched well. I wouldn’t hesitate going anywhere. Happy camper!

5547B2CE-7836-4195-B1BB-7BE1C5F41EBB.jpeg

7937C59F-321E-4754-A1EA-2EAB6997E357.jpeg

0D0CDB93-6EEA-4A2B-BDD9-CE79FB81E65A.jpeg

Big fan of firestone bags. I pull an 8500’ 24’ brick of a car hauler with my tundra. Preceded by a Ram 2500. The tundra is superior in every way except for rear springs - they just aren’t very stiff and was on the bump rubbers constantly before I installed the firestone bags. With the bags at 45psi, it tows better than my 3/4 ton dodge and isn’t the awful pos that thing was to live with otherwise

@Rando Kuruza, can you share how you mounted the Rotopax to your Airstream? Last week I was sweating bullets as I got down to two miles left on the computer. Of course, when I filled it up I had about 5 gallons left, but that's another issue.
I just attached the mounting bracket to my aluminum propane cover.

BCEB68B8-6AC1-4903-A5EA-0AD405E726A2.jpeg

Test drive pulling the trailer today. I hooked it up previously when installing the new WD hitch.. but didn’t go anywhere. I posted earlier about measurements and that it seemed this would work with the stock suspension.

I used to tow this same trailer with my 2005 100 all over. It did have OME me rear springs. I’m guessing the tongue weight is at least 800lbs. Maybe more. Just installed ARB drawers in the new HE and loaded them up with my normal things plus some recovery gear.. so I have some typical weight in the cruiser and now needed to see if the stock suspension would work pulling the trailer. It does! In fact really well. Almost dreamy.. Started out adjusting the new Redarc brake.. very nice with smooth braking. Kind of builds up to the braking force you set. No jerking around. Even pushing the button without cruiser brakes applied is real smooth. I like it. I think the stock cruiser will handle the trailer fine without air bags. Sitting pretty level. I drove almost an hour trying twisty roads.. braking hard.. freeway. Passing semi trucks. Real stable at 75mph. Picked some bumpy country roads too. I think the adaptive cruise will work fine in some situations. The WD hitch seems to be matched well. I wouldn’t hesitate going anywhere. Happy camper!

View attachment 2382437

View attachment 2382439

View attachment 2382440
Your post made my day! I was wondering how heavy one could really go on stock suspension and how the ride would be. Yeah, I know what the numbers are but I've never towed with my 200 so a real-life write-up in this weight range is what I was looking for. Oh I'd happily upgrade the suspension (airbags, springs, shocks) but just didn't know at what point I would have to. I'm a fan of Outdoors RV trailers (at least on paper!) and have been eyeing an Outdoors RV 21RD with a dry weight of 5285. It might be a little heavier with some factory add-ons like a 2nd solar panel. Based on your write-up it looks like I could tow it, with a proper WD hitch of course.

Your post made my day! I was wondering how heavy one could really go on stock suspension and how the ride would be. Yeah, I know what the numbers are but I've never towed with my 200 so a real-life write-up in this weight range is what I was looking for. Oh I'd happily upgrade the suspension (airbags, springs, shocks) but just didn't know at what point I would have to. I'm a fan of Outdoors RV trailers (at least on paper!) and have been eyeing an Outdoors RV 21RD with a dry weight of 5285. It might be a little heavier with some factory add-ons like a 2nd solar panel. Based on your write-up it looks like I could tow it, with a proper WD hitch of course.
Read through this thread and you’ll see I have a 2016 ORV 22BHS. On our 6th summer with it, Great TT, we had an airstream before this one and completely satisfied with the ORV, can’t say enough good things about it. 75k miles on our 2013 LX and ~40k of those miles were towing our camper.

I strongly recommend you use the tralier GVWR and not the dry weight for making any final decisions about what and how you tow.

Thanks to both of you for the replies!

Read through this thread and you’ll see I have a 2016 ORV 22BHS. On our 6th summer with it, Great TT, we had an airstream before this one and completely satisfied with the ORV, can’t say enough good things about it. 75k miles on our 2013 LX and ~40k of those miles were towing our camper.

I did see your post and it was of great interest. I think the only upgrade you made was to the tires am I correct on that? I will likely do the same. The struggle now is deciding between 4 season vs off road capability. These trailers look pretty rugged though. My wife and I both hunt so the cold weather features of a 4 season trailer will probably rule.

I strongly recommend you use the tralier GVWR and not the dry weight for making any final decisions about what and how you tow.
Understood - the GVWR is 7250. These trailers have an absolutely huge water capacity. We plan to tow as dry as possible and "tank up" when we get to our destination. Plus, you can dump left over fresh water before heading out. Our previous trailer also had an outdoor shower and a LOT of fresh water was used up that way LOL!

Thanks to both of you for the replies!

I did see your post and it was of great interest. I think the only upgrade you made was to the tires am I correct on that? I will likely do the same. The struggle now is deciding between 4 season vs off road capability. These trailers look pretty rugged though. My wife and I both hunt so the cold weather features of a 4 season trailer will probably rule.

Understood - the GVWR is 7250. These trailers have an absolutely huge water capacity. We plan to tow as dry as possible and "tank up" when we get to our destination. Plus, you can dump left over fresh water before heading out. Our previous trailer also had an outdoor shower and a LOT of fresh water was used up that way LOL!
Just LT tires, brake controller and WD with our 13 LX. I run AT tires in the summer (Hakka’s in the winter) but only because off road and need them, if didn’t off road would probably run Michelin defender LTX or something similar. We’ve used our ORV down to ~10F, use it often in the 20’s F early October, Caribou hunting.

Last edited:
Today I picked up the Lance 2185 we ordered a few weeks ago and towed it 90 miles home. Couldn’t be happier with the LC. Plenty of power. Stable. Zero sway, and it’ll get better when I get the WD hitch dialed in. I did most of the usual tow prep, plus a little. Upgraded rotors and pads (DBA). Redarc towpro Elite. Firestone airbags. I also added a cold air intake and ran 91 octane, and I swear it made a difference. Gibson exhaust is ordered but delayed. I had to eyeball the equalizer setup at Richards, (Lancaster CA Lance dealer) but I pulled into a scale on the way home and it was close enough for a quick trip. Rear axles was at max AWR. I’ll dial it in some more now that it’s home. Kids are stoked. I have TD 45mm adjustable and ran them on 7. Averaged 8.1 mpg for the trip.

30AD39D3-0EC9-4BFC-8F8D-D3DACDDD5977.jpeg

688FFB83-37C2-4C75-941F-62460B299D44.jpeg

EF41062A-AB4C-40EA-981F-F6B9977FECEA.jpeg

FA917889-7898-4ACC-BDF8-825D6B29AAC9.jpeg

Today I picked up the Lance 2185 we ordered a few weeks ago and towed it 90 miles home. Couldn’t be happier with the LC. Plenty of power. Stable. Zero sway, and it’ll get better when I get the WD hitch dialed in. I did most of the usual tow prep, plus a little. Upgraded rotors and pads (DBA). Redarc towpro Elite. Firestone airbags. I also added a cold air intake and ran 91 octane, and I swear it made a difference. Gibson exhaust is ordered but delayed. I had to eyeball the equalizer setup at Richards, (Lancaster CA Lance dealer) but I pulled into a scale on the way home and it was close enough for a quick trip. Rear axles was at max AWR. I’ll dial it in some more now that it’s home. Kids are stoked. I have TD 45mm adjustable and ran them on 7.

View attachment 2426327

View attachment 2426328

View attachment 2426329

View attachment 2426330

Go back to the stock intake. It is a CAI......

Remove the hydrocarbon filter while you’re in there and call it done. Volant, TRD, K&N, AFE, are all just noise makers in Toyota trucks.

But it doesn’t sound awesome like this one, lol.

Which one did you go with? All it did was pull air from the engine bay - right?

So it’s technically a hot air intake seeing as engine bay temps can push 175F in stop and go traffic.

Which one did you go with? All it did was pull air from the engine bay - right?

So it’s technically a hot air intake seeing as engine bay temps can push 175F in stop and go traffic.

Ha, no. AFE momentum GT. It pulls from the same place as the stock intake and from an additional scoop that runs up to the lip of the hood. Don’t knock it ‘til you try it. Really let’s the 5.7 rumble (at least) and coupled with the Gibson, people tend to really notice a difference.

Today I picked up the Lance 2185 we ordered a few weeks ago and towed it 90 miles home. Couldn’t be happier with the LC. Plenty of power. Stable. Zero sway, and it’ll get better when I get the WD hitch dialed in. I did most of the usual tow prep, plus a little. Upgraded rotors and pads (DBA). Redarc towpro Elite. Firestone airbags. I also added a cold air intake and ran 91 octane, and I swear it made a difference. Gibson exhaust is ordered but delayed. I had to eyeball the equalizer setup at Richards, (Lancaster CA Lance dealer) but I pulled into a scale on the way home and it was close enough for a quick trip. Rear axles was at max AWR. I’ll dial it in some more now that it’s home. Kids are stoked. I have TD 45mm adjustable and ran them on 7. Averaged 8.1 mpg for the trip.

View attachment 2426327

View attachment 2426328

View attachment 2426329

View attachment 2426330
Very nice set up. Enjoy!

Ha, no. AFE momentum GT. It pulls from the same place as the stock intake and from an additional scoop that runs up to the lip of the hood. Don’t knock it ‘til you try it. Really let’s the 5.7 rumble (at least) and coupled with the Gibson, people tend to really notice a difference.

You should start a thread to review the intake. I can't recall a good intake thread on this forum.

I’ve been towing a 21 foot boat for the two years that I’ve owned my 2016 LC. I’ve been really pleased with how it tows compared to other SUV’s I’ve towed with. Pic is fully loaded boat and truck for a week in Boca Grande, FL, before adding air to the Firestone airbags to level it. And a pic of my son landing a @110lb tarpon on the trip

F91C03B9-3A74-4B07-98E4-E0EB33A44F1A.jpeg

5C4B42A0-85F0-4503-9DD4-E2126AD1B89D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom