Tow rig/Daily driver? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
Woody told me to try posting this over here insted of on PBB.
Anyway, reading that post about how long these trucks last, I dont think I would be too worried if I picked one up in the 120-150k range.
But here is my real question. How well would an fj-80 tow a prob 6,000lb 16' trailer (towing an 85 4runner)? I would assume I would be getting in the 10 mpg range (what my daily driver gets unloaded currently), but would it be safe to do? Also, will I be getting enough power out of the i6 to be able to do 90 on flat land, and 80 going up hills such as the grapevine unloaded. I just want something that I can leave bone stock, and just drive and not worry at all about, except for maybe $300 a year in maintance.
I am thinking about a 93-97 due to more power, and hear that the 93 and 94's have a stronger tranny.
Baically I intend to tow with it, but I had the same idea for my ram, and It has never pulled a trailer in its life.

anyone on here go from a 1500 ram to a LC? Trying to figure out if the lower operating costs will offset the added cost of the LC, and the disadvantage of not having a bed.

Thanks for the help

Garrett

LC is my daily driver at 14 mpg freeway and surface street combined driving.

I tow a 3500lb trailer regularly for my scout troop. Had a smaller one a few years ago up and down the grapevine. Could only manage about 45mph coming up from Grapevine (headed south) as I recall. That was loaded with myself (200lb) and 5 scouts(100lb each wet) in the LC plus what I would approximate a 2000lb trailer.

Unloaded speed maxed is not anywhere near 80 going up either side of the grapevine. Then again, I don't drive my LC at 80 mph much either. She is capable of those speeds tho. She pegs the rpm's to maintain 60-65 on the steepest grades thru the grapevine with very little left over when I just have family of four. Never wanted to know what mpg was like with either trailer (weak heart and tight wallet :D).

Can't compare to a ram. Never wanted to own a Dodge.

BTW, in true PBB - Welcome to the lighter side. :flipoff2:

Funny, my first experiences with a LC was in a 60 series owned by a scoutmaster going on camping trips. Always remember it having enough power to tow the scout trailer (remember one time i was riding in it while towing the trailer, and the hub blew on the trailer).
Always liked that truck, and never thought I wanted to buy one, until I started looking for an SUV that is as reliable and tank-ish as my old volvo.

The maximum towing capacity for the 80 series is 5000 lbs trailer/500 lbs tongue. A 3FE will strain mightily (sorry 3FE guys :-\ ) A naturally aspirated 1FZ would be somewhat better but still very far from ideal towing that kind of weight. A forced induction 1FZ will do the job but it is not a motor to be ignored and the cooling system needs to be monitored like a hawk. You will not lower operating costs by switching to an 80 but you WILL have a damn fine automobile.

In your case, I suggest that you would be better served by moving to a 3/4 or 1 ton Turbo Diesel pickup of your choice.

D-

GRM, too funny. You obviously know from the Pirate side how reliable these are, but as Dan so eloquently points out, they ARE NOT built for towing. I use a weight distribution hitch even tho the owner's manual specifically states that Toyota does not recommend such use. Going to give a std hitch a try and crank the new Rancho shocks to max (9) on this weekend's trip to see if sag is any less. Probably not, but I can hope.

I believe it's Yomama, not to be confused with Jomama, here that tows a very heavy boat. As I recall he as a S/C, so power isn't an issue for him. Haven't seen any posts from him in awhile. You can look him up in members section and see if the link to his website is still there to check out what he has.

Good Luck!

I pulled a 20' trailer with a 99 Dodge Durango 180 miles with my 80 when it was stock. A slow go. It was not designed for towing that kind of weight. That said, It did do it, but carefull driving was the rule and steep long hills slowed it to 20-25mph unless you would floor it for the whole hill, then maybe 30-35. For that kind of towing with any regularity I would follow Cdans advice. As for unloaded driving, a stock 80 will do 90mph on the flats but, will slow down with any grade. 80mph up hills would be pinning it the whole time IMO.
Sean

like CD said, go with a diesel if you want to tow anything. I parked my 95 Ford F250 4x4 Powerstroke diesel as my DD in favor of a 1991 80. i love my 80, but i couldn't imagine towing anything with it. my Ford on the other hand, i can't think of anything it couldn't tow

i don't know what part of the country you're in, but around here a mid 90's Ford Powerstoke 4x4 isn't go for much more than a mid 90's LC in dencent shape, about $14,000 - $16,000

a word from the guy who works for a f@rd dealership is go with a f250 or 350 and make sure you do not get the twin I beam front end if you plan on heavy towing. also from what my truck mechanics states the 6.0 litre diesel is a dog compared to teh 7.3. if memory serves a 00 f350 would fit your bill pretty well. I love my 80 and would hate to lose it but pulling a 6k trailer I think would cause you more problems
Dave

I towed for over a year with my 80 on a construction job. a 3500 to 4500 lb enclosed trailer with tandem trailer brakes was very comfortable if I didn't push it or ask too much. 80 mph on flat road would be too much, although it could do it. Fresh brake fluid and 100 series pads helped braking a little. Airlift bags in the rear springs helped manuevering and body angle a lot. Accelleration wasn't bad. I see a lot of rigs on the road that can't maneuver, accellerate, or stop as well as I could. I suspect a lift or bigger tires would reduce trailering capability. My brother Doug has towed a 6000+ lb trailer cross-country and through mountains many times with his 80, you may find his writeups if you do a search. I'd say with airbags and caution you should have no problems towing 6000 lbs occasionally. 80 mph on hills and 90 on flat with 6000 lbs behind an 80? You'd soon run into several laws of physics and Darwin.

Garrett,

From my experience pulling a 5000# boat/trailer with my 96:

- if you buy a 93-97 with the original cooling system components plan on spending about $800 for a new radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, flush. (a smart shopper can save on parts) plus about $400 labor if you don't do the work yourself.

- for safety sake, plan on new rotors and pads unless the PO had that done within the last 5000 miles.

- start with fresh fluids, especially the trans

- original shocks and springs won't cut it. Figure $600-700 for OME plus labor.

You could easily spend $2000-$3000 on what most of us have found out to be the minimum requirements to have enjoyable trips when towing.

And you still end up going very slow up any kind of hill.

Good luck,

Ed

Oh, and how could I possibly forget...

WELCOME :flipoff2: :)

Ed

Well, guess this is the wrong direction. I am almost scared to tow with my ram, but I think it will do it so... here I go for more time in the 96.
I would love to upgrade to a newer diesel... an 00 f250 would be great (I actually want an 01 or 02 ex cab short bed diesel 6 speed dodge), but the cost would kill me. And similarly, if i get a 96 dodge diesel, I can only expect trouble, and since my truck is farily babied, and in farily good shape, I might as well keep it until i can afford the ram I want.

Oh well, it was a good try.

xGarrett

No worries C-Dan, that is why I have the GMC.

I reserve the 3FE Powa for the trails!

>> You'd soon run into several laws of physics and Darwin. <<

And the law of the gendarme.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom