Tough decisions but I think he is wrong (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It will not be the first time that he has been wrong Ross ;)

I imagine the scenario where People/ Large animals are charging at your campsite while you sleep. Then not having to go outside to get behind the wheel is a great plus!

His Troopy had the Alu Cab flip top and that top can only be opened and closed from outside the vehicle so ....

It will not be the first time that he has been wrong Ross ;)
Yeah, there is a few things that I disagree with on his show, but its still interesting.
He must do ok though. I saw a dual cab like the one he had out the front of my local dealer, I think it was $88k:ban: Maybe it was his.

Just take a tent/swag

I'm a bit like that these days. Trying to build a little house on the back of a Landcruiser is expensive and heavy

I'm a bit like that these days. Trying to build a little house on the back of a Landcruiser is expensive and heavy

Also, it leaves little room for hitchhikers... ground tent all day, if I'm worried about weather or creatures I can just sleep in the back (sorry SWB guys, I know it's tough for yalls).

image.jpeg
Unless you are very short or can sleep sitting up, the 77 Series is a "roof tent" kinda Cruiser. Approximately 63" of length. (Middle seat folded)

I spent a couple of nights out in my LJ78. 4 bolts and the passenger rear seat was removed, leaving a comfy 75 inches to sleep.

In his earlier videos he said he wanted it for his wife and daughter as well, hence the extra doors.
For a three seater, I like this set-up.

hzj79-doka-006.jpg

hzj79-doka-004.jpg

To improve weight balance, get rid of one of the 2nd row chairs and mount the heavy items there, like the fridge and water tanks.... as such....

camper.jpg

I'm 72" tall and can manage it comfortably (me and a kid, but not me and my wife
I didn't realize removing the back seats would result in that much more interior space. I don't use them very often anyway.

Old thread, but still interesting. ASPW has, as we know, sold that Cruiser and is back to a troopy. I think the mistake he made was the design of that rear box combined with the flatbed. Although it has a popup sleeping area, it does not work like a troopy/van rear, as it has little living space.

Like some of you above, I like the idea of being able to go from the back to the front in an emergency (like waking up to something really shady and needing to book it out of there. However, if you have your camp set up with gear outside, awning out, tent up, it better be really, really bad to justify destroying those items and leaving your things behind.

I am building up an HJ45 pickup into a sort of Troopy hybrid. My idea is a lightweight box with a similar pop-up, but keeping thebed, which allows about the same area as a troopy back there. For 99.9% of the time, I will be accessing the back/front by getting out of the vehicle to do so.

I was turned off at first by having to get out, but then remembered driving a van with no center console: super easy to get to the back, and driving in a minivan with a center console: to access the back, both the driver and I got out of the van-every single time.

Being able to go from the front to the back is only really practical if you don't have a center console, or anything else in the way, or you'll be crawling over everything to go to the back/front. This is hardly something one would do by choice-at least I wouldn't. Look at his Troopy, like when he is driving: center console and another cabinet back there, not to mention gear etc. Not easy access by any means.

But for the case of an emergency, my idea is to replace the rear window of the cab with a hatch that swings up into the cab or box, and sealing the joint between cab/box with one of those gasket things used on many trucks. In the case of a serious emergency, I can then crawl (almost 100%) from the back into the driver seat, start up, and take off.
But short of a lava flow or collapsing sinkhole, or marauding scumbags from Mad Max, I'll opt for getting out and heading to the cab, albeit maybe with some bear spray, a big knife and hawk, and a 12 Gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom