Swivel hub bearing feels worn but is new?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1995 hzj75

Last time I installed new wheel bearings I also changed the top and lower swivel hub bearings but did not change the shim..
And I did NOT test the swivel "turning" preload

So now after 10.000km I wanted to check and it was way too loose.. only about 1.5kg resistance.
And there was a very obvious feel of a worn bearing right in the middle.
So I put in new swivel hub bearings.

I only had a 0.5mm shim on the lower bearing and had to remove it to hit 4kg resistance with the fish scale.
A 0.1mm gave me about 3 kg resistance but wanted a bit more to be more in the middle (FSM says 3 to 6.5kg i think.

But the feel of a worn bearing is back!?
Less than before but it is there?

Any ideas?

The whole truck has only done 45.000km in total

When I took our the old bearing I could not feel any wear at all and nothing visible

Just a pic for reference

20240207_165422.JPG

The whole truck has only done 45.000km in total

When I took our the old bearing I could not feel any wear at all and nothing visible
When you replaced the swivel bearings, did they come with new races? And if so, did you replace the races as well? Over time, especially if a land cruiser has sat in one position for a long time, the race can become pitted. With the low km's on your cruiser, I have to assume it sat a lot.

The only other thing I can think of is the new bearing(s) was defective? It definitely should not be worn out that quickly, even without a proper preload that was not that far out of spec. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom