Torsion bar adjustment effect on alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If I adjust the torsion bar of my AHC Lancruiser 100, does it affect wheel alignment?

Yes!

The FSM 1st step in alignment, is adjusting vehicle height. But the effect on alignment will be minor, in most cases.

I've yet to see an alignment shop, do any more than just check/set tire pressure.

You can simulate this by jacking up the front of your vehicle. Watch what happens to the wheels and ask yourself if their geometry is changing.

Bottom line, it will change alignment.

FSM = Factory Service Manual.

"effect on alignment will be minor, in most cases" Most cases= Typical.
Typically, T-bars, aren't so far out of adjustment, that the affect on alignment very meaningful to alignment. But there will be an effect.

T-bars, which cross level. On the NON AHC system, T-bar also change height.

Bottom line, it will change alignment.

FSM = Factory Service Manual.

"effect on alignment will be minor, in most cases" Most cases= Typical.
Typically, T-bars, aren't so far out of adjustment, that the affect on alignment very meaningful to alignment. But there will be an effect.

T-bars, which cross level. On the NON AHC system, T-bar also change height.
On the NON AHC system, T-bar also change height.
Does this mean that T-bar adjustment on an AHC system does not change height?

Crank the torsion bars up and the AHC will force the ride hight back down. Adjusting the sensors will "tell" the AHC to ride higher.

If so, then there is something strange with my AHC system. T-bar adjustment seems to lower/raise the front.
I had no idea any, 2002 Land Cruiser, had/has AHC. In USA they do not.

T-bar on AHC is used first to cross level. Second to adjust pressure in front. If you back-off (CCW) T-bars to far. To much weight will be carried on front hydraulics (AHC). This results, is excessively high pressure in front end on hydraulics AHC. AHC may then fail, dropping front lower or to L, or not go into H. In case, where pressure to high in front. Turning up (CW) tension on T-bars, will appear to raising front as hydraulic raise it.

You need tech stream to watch pressure to adjust AHC.
IMG_8578.JPEG

If so, then there is something strange with my AHC system. T-bar adjustment seems to lower/raise the front.
I confirmed that adjusting the torsion bars actually does not change the ride height!!. It may only appear to change the height while adjusting, but it will eventually get back to original position after driving.

You need to read the ABCs of AHC thread.

Adjusting torsions on AHC vehicles is for pressure adjustment and cross leveling (aka corner height adjustment). The sensors are purely for front or rear height adjustment. Your original post was very vague. If you change the height of the suspension (by any amount) it can affect the other alignment specs (camber and toe specifically). Usually a very small change in ride height is not detrimental to alignment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom