Torsion bar/AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '06 LX has a front bull bar (no winch), sliders and drawer system in the back. I don't usually pack heavy and it's typically two adults and a dog in the back. Suspension is AHC with King KTRS-79 coils and AHC torsion bars. I checked my AHC pressures yesterday and the back was 5.7 MPa (well within spec) and the front was 7.8 MPa (outside of spec). My torsion bars are tightened to the max with no room to tighten further. Checking with the forum if the recommendation here would be to reindex the torsion bar or switch to LC torsion bars and maybe index to neutral. To provide a little more context, with the current setup, what I've noticed is the AHC does its job well on the highway going over potholes at speed as well as larger speed bumps on local roads (speed humps) but ride is a little jarring going over pot holes or small speed bumps (rubber bumps) at slower speeds. Is this something that can be addressed with reindexing and a beefier torsion bar or do I need to consider full AHC refresh or swapping out to a conventional setup? Thanks

Reindexing will get you in spec and improve your ride for zero dollars.
Thanks, I already have a set of LC torsion bars on hand so zero dollars (ex labor cost) either way. Would reindexing or swapping to LC bars result in a better ride? Is there an argument that AHC bars with higher tension would result in a less optimal ride than beefier LC bars with lower tension?

Thanks, I already have a set of LC torsion bars on hand so zero dollars (ex labor cost) either way. Would reindexing or swapping to LC bars result in a better ride? Is there an argument that AHC bars with higher tension would result in a less optimal ride than beefier LC bars with lower tension?

With LC bars your AHC would be essentially non functional unless you’ve got a lot of added weight. It’s designed so that roughly half of the weight is carried by the hydraulics and the other half is on the springs. Think of the springs as a counterweight that assists AHC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom