Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did end up salvaging some bug catcher knobs.. Wet sanded and then gave up on that process and dropped in a tumbler with plastic media and soapy water. The Tumbler worked great, you can see the one I started wet sanding on the right in the first picture. Vibratory Tumbler with dish soap and water. (I normally use this tumbler to clean up disk brake knuckle conversion parts so might have some residual water based degreaser in it). Decided to go with the old school white. Still finalizing the miter cuts on the gaskets. Wave washers for the bug catcher opener available at the local Ace Hardware. I did media blast and paint the bolts for the knob and pivot.

polishknob.jpg

wet tumbler.jpg

all knobs.jpeg

bugcatcher1.jpg

I like the black pyramid, that’s what I used, but stock was white. Any particular reason for black other than looks? Nice details on the bug catchers! Show a pic when you get the roof back on, I’m not exactly following your door frame mod or is it just the addition of a weld nut vs. nut and bolt?

The door frame mod, i'll take a picture, it will help explain.. the light bulb will go on once you see it on the truck.
I know white is OEM.
Black vs white vinyl. Well two reasons, reason one: I've never been a fan of trying to keep white clean and
reason two: the real reason. I asked Chef to pick the color and order enough material to do both our trucks.

Door frame mod looks like it would make it easier to get the two screws through the angle bracket and into the windshield frame (or out without having to remove the nut). The stock configuration basically requires the screws to go in first, then the nut on the stud.

💡 just went off, 😂. Took a closer look at your pics, and at my rig, makes sense now.

Some pics to show how this little mod works. It will take a little clearance on the trim piece for those running short bugcatchers or any newer doors. I held the trim part up to show the clearance needed.

20211206_193412.jpg

20211206_193449.jpg

20211206_193611.jpg

I welded nuts onto plate washers, and welded those into the passenger side cowl of the lwb 45 so I could have a matching mirror arm over there. But I never thought about doing it to the overhead door bows with the all-caps ANNOYING stud. Brilliant Erik!

Ya mean this mirror? Made an internal plate with welded nuts to mount and made a spare trim piece. Excellent idea @65swb45 every 45 should have two mirrors

20211207_213459.jpg

The inside portion of the passenger mirror mount in case anyone wants to add to their vintage ride. Just an idea to share.

Pass Mirror mount.jpg

Happy new year.. On the final stretch. Dug out some wiper motors. one still in the box. Started working on something i was putting off as long as possible. Roof cap modification. Once i started in on this it wasn't as horrible as i had expected. Wiper arms will hit what I believe is a Gozzard 45 roof cap. Sanding drum was used, started small and worked my way up. Then cut enough clearance for a wiper arm. Some fiberglass work, a touch of filler, sanding and i think we are there. Waiting on some 1/4" wiring loom to arrive so i can finish up wiring the motors and pull the wiring thru the windshield.

wiper1.jpg

wiper2.jpg

wiper4.jpg

wiper5.jpg

Last edited:
the speedometer didn't work on my cluster, was tired of trying to get it to work, ordered up a dakota digital RTX cluster. WOW is all i have to say. When i built my cluster i used what was available at the time. OId vs new.. My how the times have changed. I still need to calibrate the speedometer. I was able to change a notice for the alternator indicator light, changed the tach limit all with my phone. I can't wait to try one of these on another project.. SO much potential in this gauge cluster.

dakotadigital2.jpg

dakotadigital.jpg

Roof is in painted along with the stamped bezel. Cygnus white which is creamy colored. Alan's was Artic white. I have a spare bezel in Artic white I'll hold up to compare.
I would not recommend Cygnus white on a tan truck. Artic white matched better with the tan.
Next some heat and noise reducer to the inside of the roof. (have some of this in the shop) Amazon product ASIN B005Y14Q96I have had great success with this also but it is also about twice the price. Spectrum™ Spray On Deadener - https://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-deadening/spectrum-liquid
I think i have a quart of tintable Raptor left. I am not a huge fan of the fabric headliners. That will go on last over the heat and sound reducer.

Remote control car body paint mask to help with the bezel letters. Klinik RC Liquid Mask - https://klinikrc.com/shop-1/ols/products/klinik-rc-liquid-mask
and a quick shot with this pinstripe color should bring out the letters Amazon product ASIN B0026A9U6M
roofpainted1.jpg

roofpainted2.jpg

Two coats of Heat and noise reducer and one coat of raptor on the inside. I am not a huge fan of the foam headliners. I used a "beige" tint on the raptor, it has an optical illusion of a band aid color next to the Cygnus white. At this point in time I'm just going to finish wiring the wipers up and assemble the top. If I spend a significant amount of time staring at the color above my head then i can topcoat it later. Raptor STINKS.. my exhaust fan is working overtime. Supposed to snow this weekend so hopefully i can wrap up the cab, wipers and top this weekend.

raptor top 1.14.2022.jpg

Last of my new in the box wipers. Replated screens. Wiper motor wiring is in and they function. Anyone know of a source for arms and blades? I have some old napa ones but they aren't rigid. Ill swing by napa see if I can get new ones.

20220115_125337.jpg

20220115_140153.jpg

Found some wiper arms in the parts hoarde. Now to order another set for chefs truck. Repro roof latches going on also. List is getting shorter. Dakota digital brain moved to the glovebox.

20220116_132728.jpg

20220116_132313.jpg

Took the evening time to mask and paint the bezel.

20220117_191944.jpg

20220117_203612.jpg

20220117_204141.jpg

20220117_213125.jpg

Last edited:
Is that an exhaust port in your garage door?

Furnace fan in a box that provides negative pressure when I drop plastic sheet walls down on my paint booth. Couple 2x4's hold the plastic walls in place. Roll up the plastic when done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom