Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Super cool, I want to do this on my ls 45, wasnt aware of the obd connection making things easier!( I really want a quick plug and play, dont have the time to mess with sensors!!
hey whitey, what do you know about the cab mounts i have been posting. looks like large letter X, under the seats, update as you can, thank you in advance, kevin

@whitey45 it should pull trans position, trans temp, and engine info without changing sensors. Not changing sensors should be worth it! Not sure yet if it will pull vss from the transmission depending on adapter but the gps speedo solves that with different outputs from the dakota module.

Kevin, I reused the stock mount on both 45's. I do NOT have a spare under the rear of the cab mount. I have a set of short running boards but guessing you have a removable top thus long running boards. The newer running boards are still avail new. The ones with the rubber matting are harder to find in good shape. If your just needing body mounts I believe I used fj55 and fj40 mounts on my truck.

You have been in the rabbit hole so long, now that you’re out I hope the headlamp hasn’t left a permanent mark on your forehead! :lol:

new TPS in, This one Ohmed out correctly! calibrated it on the spare throttle body. then swapped them. everything seems to be running right, well very close.. Timing is set but idle is a touch high.. 780 instead of 650.. I'm calling that a win for now! I might try adjusting the idle screw on this throttle body but worried that if i do, then I will need to recalibrate the TPS which is a PITA on the truck as the IAC is in the way of the lower screw.
I just need to get some miles on it. I have two more Throttle position sensors coming and will calibrate a second one on the now spare throttle body. I will probably re-run the valves and drive it more. Spare tire mounted . Trasharoo that has been sitting for years waiting for this moment mounted.. I still want to mount the GMRS and Ham radio, need to actually lower the drivers seat an inch.. I had raised it 2" and now it won't go back far enough to be comfortable. Not that these things are very comfortable for anyone over 5'.
She is ready for the Relic Run and that is all that matters.. Time to pack!

spare trasharoo.jpg

Temp 12v outlet in cab and wired the 12v bed outlet.. Tossed in a Midland Mxt275 for the Relic Run and it is wired..
Tiny unit controlled by the handheld. Antenna is mounted on the Headache rack.
Ham will be mounted later. I just wanted to try the GMRS for this trip as it sounds like the common trail communication on this run. Bonus is has a built in USB port to charge a phone.
Dang this trip popped up quickly! She should be on the trailer Tuesday evening!

midland.jpg

Love the cluster. I have the non-stock looking one in my 40 but this one would be great in the 45. I spent countless hours trying to solve these silly little issues To keep the crusty old OG cluster. I think you did the right thing. I might just follow your lead.

I’ve been off Mud for a bit but I thought I saw you talking about seat comfort. It’s my only knock on my truck right now. Gotta figure out a better leg position support vs throttle pedal use.

Keep up the good work. Very inspiring!

Fixed the turn signal cancel function. Fj60/fj80 steering wheels need new detent pins. Also finally charged the ac. Living in the Midwest it is needed. Also test fitting a prp suspension seat.

Resized_20220603_184911.jpeg

20220604_183152.jpg

20220605_172116.jpg

Seat is still a test fit, tried to put some miles on her, she kept overheating. Finally I noticed the belt had stretched a touch for power steering / alternator or I just don't have enough pulley engagement. I can redo the power steering mount this winter. Solution, tighten belt and go ahead and install the york on board air that will add a second belt to the system. Hope to mount the arb solenoids etc this weekend. Air tank location TBD under the bed. Ac system has a bad high side Schrader valve that kept leaking. Parts are here to make a new hose for the high side. So working out bugs. To be expected when every part in this is like a jonny cash song. And h55 nose is weepy. My fault for not using any sealant on the bolts and paper gasket. She's gonna weep till winter. I just want to get the bugs worked out and drive it.

Kevin, I reused the stock mount on both 45's. I do NOT have a spare under the rear of the cab mount. I have a set of short running boards but guessing you have a removable top thus long running boards. The newer running boards are still avail new. The ones with the rubber matting are harder to find in good shape. If your just needing body mounts I believe I used fj55 and fj40 mounts on my truck.
did you sell the bed to a fellow in NJ. looks like the bed that i have with my truck.

I think the guy was from Florida that purchased my old bed and cab? Freight guy pd me and it left. I was tired of storing it.

i know they are quite rare being 3 inches shorter.
plus there are 2 versions of LP beds, removable top and non-removable top versions.

Seat is still a test fit, tried to put some miles on her, she kept overheating. Finally I noticed the belt had stretched a touch for power steering / alternator or I just don't have enough pulley engagement. I can redo the power steering mount this winter. Solution, tighten belt and go ahead and install the york on board air that will add a second belt to the system.
I must have missed which AC system you installed?

OBA sounds great too. Love it in my 40.

Overheating due to lack of fan movement or water pump due to loose belt you think?

Love this truck. Can’t wait to see the bugs worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom