Help - Lost Washer in Timing Chain Cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

While replacing the head gasket on my 1fz-fe I dropped a 8mm washer into the timing chain cover. I removed the crank position sensor and can see the washer from there. The washer is sitting at the bottom of the timing cover just forward of the crank position gear.

I have been unable to get it out with a magnetic pickup tool , as I cannot get the tool past all the gears.
I removed the front oil seal to see if the washer could be pulled out through there. While I am able to manipulate the washer from there, attempts to remove have been unsuccessful.

Is there any way to get the washer out without removing the timing chain cover?

As an aside, if I do need to remove the timing cover to remedy this, is it worth replacing the timing chain while I'm there? The engine has 216,000 miles on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello,

While replacing the head gasket on my 1fz-fe I dropped a 8mm washer into the timing chain cover. I removed the crank position sensor and can see the washer from there. The washer is sitting at the bottom of the timing cover just forward of the crank position gear.

I have been unable to get it out with a magnetic pickup tool , as I cannot get the tool past all the gears.
I removed the front oil seal to see if the washer could be pulled out through there. While I am able to manipulate the washer from there, attempts to remove have been unsuccessful.

As an aside, if I do need to remove the timing cover to remedy this, is it worth replacing the timing chain while I'm there? The engine has 216,000 miles on it.

To your question of replacing the timing chain...
Yes, and replace both the plastic slider and tensioner. Not terribly expensive, and the plastic will be beat up from age and mileage. You'll sleep a little better.
Please do a follow up post to close the loop.
Good luck!

Hello,

To pull the timing chain cover, you'll be pulling the head.

Keep fishing.

Try this:

.030 welding wire. Bend a hook into one end. That should fish the washer out nicely. If it helps, you can slightly magnatize the wire by putting a magnet on the back end of it.

Mark...

I dropped a small tool down the timing cover once. I ended up removing the crank pulley and front crank seal to fish it out.

I wasn't able fish it out with welding wire. Someone with more finesse may be able to, but I wasn't.

I found this thread where someone had almost the exact same issue. He was able to flick it up and out of the timing cover after pulling the oils pans. I will be attempting the retrieve the washer the same way.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Is the head still off? If you have the head off and the oil pans removed, then you may as well replace the timing set as stated above. Plenty of "while you're in there" opportunities at that point.

Was the reason you couldn't get to it using a magnet because the magnet would stick to other components before you got to the washer?

One other method might be to try using something sticky on the end of stick of some sort. ie: if you can still see the washer and have some type of bendable tool, if the tip is covered in something sticky (tacky grease for example) you might be able to pick up the washer using that method, IME.

Another thing you might try is a shop vac to try to suck it out from the nearest hole you can see it from. As long as there're openings for the air to enter from somewhere else the shop vac will create a good vacuum effect.

Have you tried a small grabber tool, or just not enough room to get to the washer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom