To Line-X or Not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am having mine restored at the moment - and I have elected not to do it for a couple of reasons on my 82...

1. Resale value (trying to keep it pretty bone stock)
2. Cleaning (unless you are hosing it out, cloth and other things seem to stick to it)
3. Fading, peeling (yeah, same can happen to paint, but its easier to repaint)
4. 10 years down the road, it is going to look like crap, and still be just as hard to scrape off.

When I bought this truck, someone rhino'd the tub top and bottom - probably about 7 years ago. It had lost its shine - it was peeling in places, and the rust had eventually come through underneath. What a mess.

I think if you have a decent tub - repair the rust and then keep it original. I can promise you won't regret it 8 years down the road if you want to do additional restoration work or paint. If you, or someone else has to go through the pain of removing the liner to get to rust (and it will happen eventually) the cost and effort rise dramatically.

If it is any proof, after many hours of scraping... I bought a new tub instead.

Good luck!!

Peter

(i have an 82 somewhat rhino'd half-tub for sale at Proffitts, if anyone is interested)

If you are worried about resale take pictures of the work you are doing. I have archival shots of my sandblasted tube and pics of the welded patch work. No rust here and the shots to prove it.

I gurantee the first time you step into that freshly painted tub with a rock stuck in the tread of your boot you will cuss like a drunken sailor...

If you are worried about resale take pictures of the work you are doing. I have archival shots of my sandblasted tube and pics of the welded patch work. No rust here and the shots to prove it.

I gurantee the first time you step into that freshly painted tub with a rock stuck in the tread of your boot you will cuss like a drunken sailor...

X's 2
Peeling spots: disk sander, repair, recoat... no more of a pain than the stock rust enhancer undercoating.

I imagine using the smooth over the textured would soften the texture a bit aswell? Might be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom