Sagging doors - to jack, or not to jack. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So.. my front doors have always been hanging a bit low.
I can see that the pins are worn, and I've adjusted them to the max, but I'm feeling like even a new set of pins will not close the void at the top.
Its as though the door and the hole are a different shape.
My HJ45 was converted from new and has a welded steel roof joining to the windscreen surround, which should hold it all nice and square. You'd think.

I'm feeling like I could improve the shape with a bottle jack and a 4x2, but I don't want to make it worse and I'm not really sure where I should be pushing - probably between the top hinge and the rear bottom corner?
You can see in the photo how the windscreen pillar and the door misalign, but actually that part fits ok. The issue is really up by my head where I can see light above the door.

Any experience in forcing these back into square?

Or maybe I should just file out the holes in the hinges a bit longer??

20230920_194103.jpg

There's a thick rubber seal between the tub and windshield that it rests on. They're are suppose to be plastic bushing in the hinges. Someone on here offers brass ones along with the pins. There's an hinge adjustment in the tub, but they're very difficult to get to.

The roof is not factory. If the holes in the hinges have been elongated than even replacing the bushings would not help. You may need to replace the hinges, pins and bushings to get things back in shape. Not sure how to address the none factory roof.

bottom & top door hinge has worn the hole into an oval, you can drill/sleeve it or get new ones is my guess, it doesnt take much to cause that tilt, new pins & bushes will help but will sag back pretty quik, pull the pins and have a look at the hole in the door side ?

Fyi, I've never purchased or used these.

There's a thick rubber seal between the tub and windshield that it rests on. They're are suppose to be plastic bushing in the hinges. Someone on here offers brass ones along with the pins. There's an hinge adjustment in the tub, but they're very difficult to get to.
My windscreen angle is basically fixed by the safari roof which was welded on in the 70s as part of the conversion, so that can't move much.
My understanding is that the inner adjustment bolts are only left/right and up/down rather than front/back?

The roof is not factory. If the holes in the hinges have been elongated than even replacing the bushings would not help. You may need to replace the hinges, pins and bushings to get things back in shape. Not sure how to address the none factory roof.
Definitely not factory hehe. It goes full length and covers the whole cab and what was once the pickup bed. Its very solid sheet steel.
That isn't parting company with the windscreen without a complete rebuild.
Just got my lathe back so might make some bronze bushes. I don't think it will be enough though.

Definitely not factory hehe. It goes full length and covers the whole cab and what was once the pickup bed. Its very solid sheet steel.
That isn't parting company with the windscreen without a complete rebuild.
Just got my lathe back so might make some bronze bushes. I don't think it will be enough though.
I picked up Oilite bushings and drilled out the hinges slightly so they’d fit. My hinges were very badly worn from 20+ years with no bushings. I used a file to thin the flange slightly for the perfect fit. If your hinge holes are no longer round I’d suggest going this route. They’re cheap enough that it won’t be worth the time to turn them on the lathe.

So.. my front doors have always been hanging a bit low.
I can see that the pins are worn, and I've adjusted them to the max, but I'm feeling like even a new set of pins will not close the void at the top.
Its as though the door and the hole are a different shape.
My HJ45 was converted from new and has a welded steel roof joining to the windscreen surround, which should hold it all nice and square. You'd think.

I'm feeling like I could improve the shape with a bottle jack and a 4x2, but I don't want to make it worse and I'm not really sure where I should be pushing - probably between the top hinge and the rear bottom corner?
You can see in the photo how the windscreen pillar and the door misalign, but actually that part fits ok. The issue is really up by my head where I can see light above the door.

Any experience in forcing these back into square?

Or maybe I should just file out the holes in the hinges a bit longer??

View attachment 3435707
I’ve got the same problem

it is hard to see in the pic
if the gap at the bottom and the latch side of the door is even, the problem is not the door itself
you have a non OEM top
the windshield frame can be brought rearward at the top by tightening the attachments thru the dash, but the top can be the issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom