tire squeal during slow tight turns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I have been in lurk mode for a while, playin' dad and all that sort of stuff. But I figured it was time to ask the experts if what I was observing was normal or a sign of a problem. I have noticed that when turning tightly say in a parking lot or other paved surface that the tires squeal a bit. I know this is common on a limited slip vehicle, but I thought we had more free flowing diffs (unless or coarse they are locked). I also noticed that the front wheels appear to have slight negative camber. (I noticed this after installing the ARB front and Kaymar rear bumpers) I might have expected this if we had IFS and the rear was more loaded than the front - I do have less stinkbug with the bumpers on.

Do either of these things sound normal or like a problem? I have a 97

Thanks in Advance ,

Krich

Obviously, this depends on your speed, but if you're concerned about a center diff remaining locked (would cause this), there's a simple test. Lift the rear tires off the ground and get under the truck while it's in Neutral and shut off. Obviously take safety precautions. Grab the rear drive shaft and see if you can turn it - will take significant effort. If you cannot, you may have a center diff that's not unlocking and you could take it from there.

Other issues:

Tires not all same depth/size/pressure.
Bent front steering/suspension.

DougM

How about some mileage numbers? I'm thinking you might need trunion bearings. If the mileage is up there and they haven't been done then they could need replacing. The race gets worn in small areas which will give a notchy feeling to the wheel but will also throw off your alignment. It's a gradual wear so you most likely wouldn't be aware of the problem. Also a loose wheel bearing could be the culprit.

Don't know if it was a magic fix...I got that noise when I bought the truck at 35Kmiles but after swapping transfer case fluid to M1 it dissappeared.

Mine makes a slight squeal too. Only happens on certain road surfaces and when making a sharp turn at low speed. I thought nothing of it, chalked it up to the all wheel drive. Maybe I am wrong; lets see what any one else has to say.

We've had a couple of locked up VCs here - likely due to previous owners running old tires on one axle and buying new ones two at a time. So......

DougM

I get a noise in the Taco bell drive through, not sue I would call it a squeal? they resealed the asphalt blacktop not to long ago, I really liked it in my truck when it rained, I could bring the rear end around wide in the turns with slight skinny pedal at very low speeds, no such fun in the 80 it just sticks and goes

The noise I get in this parking lot (only this one parking lot, wet or dry) is not like an entire tire slipping more like individual tread blocks slipping as they come off the surface, sounds kind of like a repetitive squeaky shoe, it is especially noticeable as the noise reflects off the building going through the drive through, my truck has a noticeable difference in feel when the center is locked so I think my VC is doing what is should, if it were not locked/unlocked would feel the same

I've noticed some tires do this more than others. I had a Tacoma that squealed at low speads. After I replaced the Dunlops on it the noise went away.

Here is an update - the truck has 77k miles, it is possible that the front tires appear slightly more worn than the rear (due to previous owner) they are the stock Michelin LTXs - not much difference side to side. The truck had the birf seals replaced just before 75k at the dealer (ala previous owner's warantee - and I screwed up and didn't pay to have them do the inner seals - I was very new then) The noise is only present at low speed sharp turns on pavement and and reminds me of a noise my 77 Bronco would make (it had limited slip rear) - like a slight tire squeal due to a limited slip diff. I have not had the opportunity to check the drive shaft, but I dont think the center diff is locked - sticky maybe but it feels different to me when it is locked aside from the low range I mean.

Does anyone elses truck have slight negative camber in the front?

Thanks

I get the squeel with the LTXs on smooth pavement too. Not only on our 94 but also when we ran the LTXs on our Tahoe. I don't have any camber issues. Might check the trunion bearings as suggested.

Krich, does it do it when its the vehicle is cold or hot?
DO you have the center diff lock switch?
FInd a graval p-lot and drive round and round. Do you see or feel the front wheel/s binding up.
Try it with the center diff locked or in Low range and see how it feels.

You will see and feel the front wheels bind up and release.

Some squealing while you are turning is NORMAL. Factors like tire compound, surface and wheel offset will affect how loud the squealing is. It has nothing to do with locked differentials although a locked differential will definitely make noise. Even rear wheel drive vehicles squeal.

When a vehicle turns, the outside front wheel will turn in a larger radius than the inside wheel. So, the outside wheel is at one angle (in relation to the axle) and the inside wheel is at another (greater) angle. The difference between the two is called the Ackerman Angle.

Like we adjust "TOE" in a straightline, Toe-out is also set when the vehicle is turning. It can get pretty complicated but to make a long story short, the two wheels are aimed at different directions --that is the squealing you hear.

Changing wheel offsets or adding wheel spacers really complicates things and messes with the design of the steering system.

Confused? Perhaps this can explain it better:
http://www.rctek.com/handling/ackerman_steering_principle.html

Thanks for the input - so I have had the truck in a gravel lot with the center locked (in low) as well as with the fronts and rears locked and that is much different than the behavior that I have been seeing unlocked on the pavement. Everything seems to successfully unlock when it should.

As for the negative camber - how does one check the trunion bearings?

TIA

Doh! I think I have been saying negative camber when I mean positive camber!!!! The part of the wheels that touche the ground are actually closer together (not farther apart) - at least slightly but it is noticeable.

If it's visible to the naked eye, then you should lift each front tire off the ground one at a time and see if you can rock the tire. You're looking for telltale slack that shows your knuckle (trunion) bearings are badly worn, or that the bottom knuckle bolts are coming loose. These last are the 2 large bolts on the bottom of the hubs. See if they're loose. If so, report back immediately.

DougM

Mine has a noticeable squeal as described, I assumed it was the tires, I just rotated them,and they are almost to the wear indicator. I will have to check my bearings as suggested.

I've never had any problems with low speed tire squealing, but then again I can't remember the time I've driven slow.. :flipoff2:

Sounds like the tires, remember the tire itself still has to contort itself when turning, tread on one side of the contact patch is pulled one way, tread on the other side pulled the other, etc, so the tire alone can make that noise. If you can actually hear it then obviously your exhaust is to quiet and/or your radio is not loud enough. Fix those items then see how the little noises go away.. :)

>> These last are the 2 large bolts on the bottom of the hubs. <<

And if you only have 2 large bolts you're already in trouble. The steering arm attaches with 4 studs and nuts on my 97. :D

-B-

n;pe ,r upi ,shhpy That's a special message for Beo coded by shifting each letter one key to the right to slide by the censors - heh. It's "Idaho Code".

Yep, 4 studs on the bottom of the axle - check 'em.

DougM

>> blow me, you maggot <<

x'br fwr qudw ri vkiq tiy?

:D

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom