Tire Recommendation for 1973 FJ 40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having a 1973 FJ40 restored I have added OME 2.5 lift, front disc brakes, a F2 with four speed. I am going to use it primarily as a weekend driver, and my daughter and wife will be driving it also on occasion to the beach. What tires would you recommend for street driving on 15-inch steel rims for safety, road handling, and appearance ? Thanks

I just put 33x10.50r15 BFG AT KO2's on my '69 with same lift/wheels as yours. A lot of tires are out of stock right now, but the bfg's were in stock.

Thanks, I like the AT KO2's although I blew one out in Kanab, Utah in my Jeep.
Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 9.16.00 PM.png

Solana Beach…

Do you think about turning East on occasion. It gets a little challenging off the paved road. Your tires are a tool. What tool do you need for your environment. I needed snow/water rated. Got a feeling you don’t see much of either. 😉

This is one of those thread question that bring out a great deal of brand loyalty. I would recommend listing your “requirements” and your screening criteria for a tire. If it doesn’t meet these toss it. Keep in mind, no one single set of rubber will do all things. Not preaching, just saying…

No, I was on the way out to a place called white pocket, and it is through deep sand. I was not aired down, and I think the sidewall just gave out. Luckily, the jack and spare were in good shape.
IMG_2250.jpg

Last edited:
I have toyo open country mt's on my fj60, which is my wheeling/camping rig. Those sidewalls are bulletproof compared to the bfg's, but also more expensive, heavier and load range E instead of C.

Load range E. This.

I have toyo open country mt's on my fj60, which is my wheeling/camping rig. Those sidewalls are bulletproof compared to the bfg's, but also more expensive, heavier and load range E instead of C.

I have run these tires in the past and was very happy with them; pretty much indestructible on sharp rocks and etc. The only downside is that the sidewalls are so strong and stiff, that you have to air down to single digit psi to get them to soften at all. Never ran a bead off doing that though.

Thanks, everyone, for your insights. I also have the choice to have 16 or 15-inch OEM steel rims installed. Is there a preference between 15 and 16" ?

After running 15's for years I went to 16's and it was a great decision. They clear wheel weights really well and given the evolution in tires there are more choices than ever. I'm sure we'll all be talking 17's in a few more years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom