Tire Choice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MOC

Threads
Bought my '75 with tires (31x10.5x15) that have great tread and no dry rotting but according to the date code, they're 16 years old which makes me nervous. Since I'm in the Chicago suburbs, I need a tire that has good road characteristics that I can occasionally drive on dirt roads in Wisconsin. I wish I lived in the mountains and drove offroad more but that's my destiny until retirement.

Any suggestions for a good all terrain tire that has good road characteristics? The BFG T/A KO2s get good reviews but are expensive.

1627pp.jpg

1627bbbbbb.jpg

Last edited:
The BFG's are legit, I run them on my 3500 Ram, I'd put them on my 40 if they came in a true 33x10.5

I also had the Mastercraft Courser ATs on my truck when I bought it.

They sucked.

16 years old is getting sketchy.
I have the BFG A/Ts. I do mostly pavement so they work well for me. Quiet and smooth.

I have 33 x 10.50 BFG AT's on my 40. It is garage kept.

I do not remember when I bought them but it was years ago, a lot of years ago.

No dry rot, they still hold air and they are a good tire (not like BFG MT's where I have had balance issues).

However, if you are uncomfortable with a 16 year old tire, I would stay with the major brands.

I like Toyo Tire and Dick Cepeck but any major brand.

Some may be expensive but if they don't rot after 16 years, they will be on your truck a long time. Figure cost per year.

I’m going to try the Yokohama MTs if I go with a 31 instead of a 33 when I put my 40 back together (depending on the 33s fitting in the garage). My wife loves the yoko ATs on our 200 in all driving conditions

I am in the same boat right now. My 71 came with a brand new set of not yet installed tires; purchased in 1989..... I’m going to get 31” BFG KO2’s for it. I think they don’t look too aggressive for my stock build but they won’t be useless in the snow or logging roads. I’ve found them as low as $150 a tire at discount. I’m holding out for some rebates.

Thanks everyone for the guidance. I think the BFG KO2s are the best choice. Tire Rack has them for $175/tire but they're out of stock until the end of March. I'll try Discount Tire which is at the end of my street. Let me know if you find any rebates.

I’m running BFG A/T on my 40. I’ve also run several sets on various other vehicles. They are no doubt a good tire. However, my next set for the Land Cruiser will be Nitto Trail Grapplers. I ran a set in Moab on a Tacoma and was extremely pleased with how well they did. The Ridge and Terra Grapplers are great value, longevity, and also have excellent road characteristics, which seems to be what you’re after.

Looks like $175 each is about the cheapest I can find them now: up $25 since a week ago! Discount does have an instant $25 savings and $40 rebate if you use a discount card. Likely the route I’ll go.

Discount Tire quoted me $169/tire this morning. $835 total mounted and balanced including taxes. Costco has the same price.

I don't think opening a new credit card to get the additional discount is worth the hit to your credit rating.

Unless it's just about looks, the least expensive all season tire from a reputable manufacturer will do. Local retailer/installer giving a warranty may mean more to you than saving a few bucks ordering online (simple tire, tires-easy. etc).

I have owned many sets of BFG AT's and presently have them on my 40, but I might go out on a limb and suggest that for the cost they're overkill for street and occasional dirt road driving. They do handle nice, and are remarkably quiet for their agressiveness.

I put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s (235/75R15) on my wifes CJ recently, primarily because they were $68 each from Walmart. Another option in a size that works great on a stock truck.

I have come to regret the ill handling character and increased noise and rock throwing from nearly every set of mud tires I have ever bought.

Discount Tire quoted me $169/tire this morning. $835 total mounted and balanced including taxes. Costco has the same price.

I don't think opening a new credit card to get the additional discount is worth the hit to your credit rating.
I do it often (maybe 1-2 times a year) to get whatever rebate or freebie someone is offering and I have never noticed an impact to my credit score. Buy what I want on their card, (so long as there’s a 0% introductory rate), keep the balance until I get my rebate, then payoff and close card. That said, usually it’s for more than the current $40 rebate to make it worth it.
My quote from Discount, taxes and all, was $1038 for all 5 tires. Sounds like right inline with your quoted price.

Unless it's just about looks, the least expensive all season tire from a reputable manufacturer will do. Local retailer/installer giving a warranty may mean more to you than saving a few bucks ordering online (simple tire, tires-easy. etc).

I have owned many sets of BFG AT's and presently have them on my 40, but I might go out on a limb and suggest that for the cost they're overkill for street and occasional dirt road driving. They do handle nice, and are remarkably quiet for their agressiveness.

I put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3s (235/75R15) on my wifes CJ recently, primarily because they were $68 each from Walmart. Another option in a size that works great on a stock truck.

I have come to regret the ill handling character and increased noise and rock throwing from nearly every set of mud tires I have ever bought.
I just checked and the Cooper Discoverers appear to be priced similar to the BFGs. Quality, road noise and appropriate appearance for an FJ40 are most important right now. Debating the finer points of tire selection on Mud is also a lot of fun. My wife has no interest in which tires I buy so she's no fun.

I just checked and the Cooper Discoverers appear to be priced similar to the BFGs. Quality, road noise and appropriate appearance for an FJ40 are most important right now. Debating the finer points of tire selection on Mud is also a lot of fun. My wife has no interest in which tires I buy so she's no fun.
Thats the fun of it. I like looking at tires. Wish I had the time and money to try them all out 😄.

I had looked at the Goodyear Authority, available only at Walmart. They don’t look bad and are quite cheaper than other AT’s, but I saw enough negative reviews to decide against it. I’m also looking at the BFG’s at least in part because they “look right”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom