Tips Requested for Engine Wiring Harness Removal and Refurbishment - 1994

clx16

SILVER Star
I wonder how hard it is to get toyota color coded wire on spools. I wouldn't mind a source so that I can make good repairs or replacements when it comes to wiring harnesses.

I wonder how hard it is to get toyota color coded wire on spools. I wouldn't mind a source so that I can make good repairs or replacements when it comes to wiring harnesses.

Getting 2 colour coated wire is not difficult, getting 3, such as the dot colours on some Toyota wires, can be a challenge.

You could try and find a few used wire harnesses from part outs and mash the good parts form them all to make one good one. Buy the few connectors you may need new. Make sure you get a the tool to pull the pins out of the connectors. Here's a thread I found about the tools Great Terminal Pin Removal Tool for 80 Series - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/great-terminal-pin-removal-tool-for-80-series.885132/.

Also if you need to use new wire seek out Automotive wire rated for engine bays.

I have a 96 so the OEM wire harness was still available. I went with that because the cost of buying new connectors and pins I needed individually was going to cost almost as much as a whole new harness from Toyota. My wire harness was in really bad shape.

Well the hood is open... Haven't dug in just yet though.

PXL_20211007_233056048.jpg

Tore into it today, making some progress. Called it a day when I tried to pull the upper intake manifold but its still stuck somewhere. I couldn't manage to pull the harness up through the bottom of the intake manifold so hopefully removing the upper portion will make it easier.

Lots of brittle clips (especially on the injectors) that snapped upon removal.

1635117935250.png

1635118118012.png

1635118354068.png

1635117978849.png

alia176

SILVER Star
I'm late to the party but here's my $.02 worth. The engine has reached senior citizen status and needs a boat load of stuff to be done. I'd say, acquire parts over time until you've amassed a sizeable pile of parts then yank the engine. Do all PMs needed, including the HG, if needed. You can pull the wiring harness with the engine rather easily and separate it and work on it leisurely. This assumes this 80 isn't your DD. While the engine is out, you can also do the rear main seal, tranny input seal, motor mounts and a host of other services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom