Tips on U-Joint Removal (Beyond 20T Shop Press)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm replacing some flanges on my '76 FJ40 driveshafts for my '71 FJ40 build. The vehicle has ~66,000 miles, so the U-joints are probably original. I cleaned them up good and squirted on some PB Blaster. The first one is in my HF 20-ton shop press but nothing doing so far. Would heat help? Or longer soaking in PB Blaster? Or both?

Any tips or hints would be appreciated.

Did you remove the "C" clips?

Yep. And the grease zerk (don't ask me how I know).

I'm thinking of smacking the flanges around the U-joint with a hammer and brass drift while under load. I've had luck this way removing stubborn Pitman arms and TREs.

I just went through this...but not on a driveshaft but steering ujoints. Premise is the same.

I struggled for hours using my 25ton press and stupid ujoint tool...the only success was removing the 'c' clips. I had given up and was going to take them to a shop to have them removed but decided to do some googling.

Found this article, read it and then went outside in my PJs...and preceded to remove all 4 yokes in less then 15 minutes!

JeepWire - Changing Axle Shaft U-Joints

I replaced the u joints in my 4Runner after the DC joint failed on the highway (not pretty). After that “right of passage” and without a press I swallowed my pride and took the 40 shafts into a driveline shop and they replaced them with my supplied joints for under $100 bucks.

Well worth it if you ask me.

PB is good. I use Diesel:ATF in a 1:1 ratio. Seems to penetrate better.

Beer, if it won’t budge, drink another.

I’ve always used a BFH and a brass drift, 4x4 to keep the flange off the ground. Hit it with some heat, hit it with the BFH.

gear puller and sockets

I used this for my '86 FJ60 build:

u-joint-tools-2-jpg.1870792

I've resorted to surgery with an angle grinder at times. It's a bit tricky to cut the right parts, but works well. Only on my son's Dodge; never on my Yota's of course.

A couple of the right sized sockets and the vise is usually my method. It is not 20K pounds of pressure but is usually enough.
If the cups don't slide out by vise pressure alone, the BFH while under pressure will help.
Pre-soak with penetrating fluid of your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom