Timing Belt & other work this weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shoot me an email address to otramm@otramm.com and I'll snap a pic of the timing belt removal page when i get to the shop in the morning. I can never remember which year is which position. I look them up each time just to be safe. The cam and crank seals usually end up flush to their housings, just take a look at the depth the old ones are at before you pull them and match them going back.

Check the write ups in the FAQ to see what year trucks the OP(s) had when they authored the thread- and see where they set it.

I would turn the crank to 0 degrees and check if the cams line up the indicator marks (you know to disregard the mark with the letter T as it has no reference to cam timing) - you might need to turn the crank 2 revolutions-

Shoot me an email address to otramm@otramm.com and I'll snap a pic of the timing belt removal page when i get to the shop in the morning. I can never remember which year is which position. I look them up each time just to be safe. The cam and crank seals usually end up flush to their housings, just take a look at the depth the old ones are at before you pull them and match them going back.
I just watched your video on timing belt. I like the loctite on tensioner bolts, good idea. You are fast. But please tell me that's after editing, or I'm really feeling slooooow.

I can usually leave the rear compression bolt alone. I Just make sure on assembly to start the two front compressor bolts before torquing the fan bracket bolt.

I got to get a topside creeper as soon as I've the room for one more tool in the shop.

I've run into compressors that are keyed to the fan bracket with locator sleeves on the front bolts. You have to loosen the rear compressor bolt to get enough wiggle in the front to slide past the sleeves. I think it's on the newer trucks. And yes the video is edited down. Doing the entire job with cam and crank seals takes me about 6 hours at a decent pace. No seals and hustling I can do it in about 3 but my back kills me for days :).

So it took longer than 1 weekend. Waiting for parts took most of the time as I decided to replace more and more the deeper I got. Ended up replacing just about everything. Easier to do it now. Another thanks to @OTRAMM, he provided a second set of eyes remotely. His video is excellent and I would highly recommend it to anyone doing it for the first time. The hardest part of the job for me was that rear bolt on the compressor, the rest of it went pretty smoothly. Glad it's done.

He is a picture of a OEM fan bracket off of the same 2004 LC.

It has printed on it Aisin

That is a fan clutch, not fan bracket.

Do you have picture of fan bracket with Aisin stamped on it, per your post #11?

just want to add when removing the fan bracket, you should just barely loosen all of the mounting bolts on the ac compressor before removing just the 2 that hold the fan bracket on. Also, they should all be loose when installing the new bracket otherwise it may not line up perfectly and you could strip the aluminum threads

Wondering what the consensus is on the Aisin fan bracket (FBT-002) versus the OEM unit?

Wondering what the consensus is on the Aisin fan bracket (FBT-002) versus the OEM unit?
Isn't Aisin usually OE or is this one another brand like Denso or something?

Isn't Aisin usually OE or is this one another brand like Denso or something?

Aisin and Denso are both OE suppliers, but Aisin and Denso parts are not necessarily exactly like genuine OEM Toyota.

I bought the Aisin bracket off Amazon on my recent TB job. If you have time and aren't strapped for cash, I'd go OEM. Price difference is around $80 from online discount OEM suppliers and for a bearing component I think that might be worthwhile. I was rushed for time, so went with Amazon.

Aisin and Denso are both OE suppliers, but Aisin and Denso parts are not necessarily exactly like genuine OEM Toyota.

I bought the Aisin bracket off Amazon on my recent TB job. If you have time and aren't strapped for cash, I'd go OEM. Price difference is around $80 from online discount OEM suppliers and for a bearing component I think that might be worthwhile. I was rushed for time, so went with Amazon.

This is what I was looking for. Thanks for the feedback @suprarx7nut

What makes you think the bearing in the Toyota unit is superior to the Aisin unit?

This is what I was looking for. Thanks for the feedback @suprarx7nut

What makes you think the bearing in the Toyota unit is superior to the Aisin unit?

I have no evidence for that, I just think given the labor involved it's worth the potential bearing improvement for the price difference. I wouldn't fault anyone for going with the Aisin unit (or Denso) on almost any part. They're very close in quality in every situation I've seen (minus the one DOA Denso starter I had years ago). It's all about how much you value your time/money. More and more these days, my garage time is precious and getting it right the first time is worth more and more $$ every passing day.

It is the same part- different box. But be sure youre buying from a reputable supplier as ebay and amazon are full of knock-off parts and hard to know if its the real deal or not.

It is the same part- different box. But be sure youre buying from a reputable supplier as ebay and amazon are full of knock-off parts and hard to know if its the real deal or not.

I was looking at this unit...

Aisin FBT-002 Fan Pulley Bracket Amazon product ASIN B0031GCUEY
it appears legit?

I was looking at this unit...

Aisin FBT-002 Fan Pulley Bracket Amazon product ASIN B0031GCUEY
it appears legit?
Problem is that any seller can throw pics up to make seem legit on Amazon or Ebay, though it does state that the seller is AISIN. Other options would be to get through RockAuto or one of the multitude of TOYOTA parts sites. RockAuto is roughly same price with shipping, though not PRIME shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom