Timing Belt/90k Service with Radiator & AC Condenser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
in 3,000 miles, I'm performing my Timing Belt Service. It's a 1998 LX470 which will have 220,000 miles at the time of the service. Service records indicate it was last performed at 130,xxx milers.

I'm changing the Timing Belt, Timing Belt Tensioner, Tensioner Pulley, Water Pump, Serpentine Belt, and Serpentine Belt Tensioner. Since my Radiator appears to be original to the vehicle, and the plastic top has turned light brown, I figure I will change the Radiator at the same time as it will provide easier access to the timing components. While we're at it, I'm changing the AC Condenser as well. Plus, Thermostat and housing, Coolant Flush, and Spark Plugs.

In case I'm not spending enough money here, does anyone have any suggestions about anything else I should replace "While I'm at it"?

Thanks in advance!

Why are you replacing the AC condenser-? Is it damaged or leaking? Is the AC cold? If its not damaged just clean it.

Do your alternator brushes ($20)

When you go to replace the spark plugs also replace the coil boots. Denso makes a kit that includes the boots and sealing grommets all for about $35.

Sorry to have added $55 to your total but these are good updates if your still on original parts.

Second the alternator brushes. The alternator is super easy to get out "while you're in there", and a real PITA when you're not.

Consider replacing the fan bracket if it isn't recent. I skipped it on mine...and now it needs doing 2 months later. :doh:

Can’t see any reason to do AC condenser if it is working properly. That opens up you AC system to air and moisture, have to evacuate and recharge for nothing.

Thanks for all the responses!! The Condenser looks pretty beat up and it's coming out with the radiator to give complete access to the timing cover. Recover & recharge are no big deal as I work at a dealership, just not a Toyota or Lexus one.

Maybe you've seen them, but the @OTRAMM videos on youtube are worth the price. Step by step, super easy. You don't have to remove the condenser at all, unless you just want to. Having the radiator out (also not strictly necessary) means you'll have a TON of room to work.

It’s not mechanical nor on the front of the engine, but do the heater T’s if you haven’t already!

Just did the timing belt job @200K because of seized fan bracket. Definitely replace the fan bracket if its original. Only thing I missed/regret was not replacing the alternator brush. :bang:

• Aisin tkt-021 timing belt kit ( includes WP and all timing idler/tensioner pulleys )
  • Crank and Cam oil seals
  • fan bracket
  • new idler and tensioner
  • new serpentine belt
  • thermostat
2nd the @OTRAMM youtube videos. Just followed that and it was a piece of cake.

UPDATE:
So.... My power steering pump went out last may, and leaked like a sieve when it did. I replaced the pump with a Cardone unit from Rock Auto, and it started leaking in January, so I ordered a warranty replacement. February 1st, eleven days ago, I'm driving home from work and while sitting at a stoplight, my trusty Lexus died and wouldn't restart. The alternator had died! So, since the alternator and power steering pump have to come off to take the timing cover off.................

So, I would recommend having catalog illustrations for the coolant lines, oil cooler lines, and power steering lines handy. I bought an AISIN Timing Belt kit off of RockAuto and was pretty impressed, even came with instructions.

The complete list of parts I replaced:
Both Valve Cover Gaskets & pcv valve
All 8 Ignition Coils
All 8 spark plugs
Battery
Alternator
Power steering pump
Power Steering Air Control Valve
All soft p/s hoses
All small coolant lines
Radiator
Thermostat
2 gallons Toyota Coolant
Timing Belt kit with tensioners & water pump
Serpentine Belt with tensioner & Idler
AC Condenser
Oil & Filter

It turned into more, as projects always do. I hadn't even considered the coils, but 6 of them had some deep cracks, though I kept them all as emergency spares.

I'm going to have about $2500 parts & labor and it should be complete tomorrow or Thursday (crosses fingers!).

FYI, Did the heater Tees about 1.5 years ago and installed brass tees along with replacing all hoses. I serviced the transmission, transfer case, and both axles also about 1.5 years ago, along with greasing and rebooting the front CVs.

We are planning on taking the LX on a major road trip (3k miles round trip), and are curious what other items we should service. Rear brakes were done about 40k miles ago, and I think I'll replace the fronts before the trip. I'm at just under 220k

Again, thanks for all the input!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom