Time to Replace the old F Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I picked up a 2F engine manual off flee bay
IMG_4305.jpeg

Got a little bit closer today

IMG_4307.jpeg

Trans is about ready, Now to get the bell housing and stuff on.

IMG_4308.jpeg

Unless you modified the battery tray support, I dont think the passenger engine mount will work. Just a friendly heads up.😉

Last edited:
Unless you modified the battery tray support, I do think the passenger engine mount will work. Just a friendly heads up.😉
Keen eye @65swb45, that passenger engine mount will be removed and the older drilled out F engine mount will be used.

Unfortunately, the don’t became a do because of on ongoing interface problem with the keyboards in all my Mac devices. But you got the drift of it.😉

Last edited:
Okay the battle continued today.

IMG_4323.jpeg

Now I can see victory around the corner. Front motor mounts in rear is still sitting on a floor jack.

IMG_4325.jpeg

Got some more progress in the last few days. No pics just boring stuff. Rear mounts bolted in, clutch slave in and adjusted, parking brake hub installed and nut torqued, rear drive shaft installed, PTO, transfer case linkage hooked up, Transmission, transfer case, engine all got oil, 4-wheel indicator light, reverse light, starter wired up. Pulled the dizzy and spun the oil pump to prime the engine since this has not run in a couple years. This engine was to have in the upper 200`s for miles so I had enough 15-40 oil that's what I used. I told the :princess: to watch the mechanical oil while I run the drill motor in the oil pump. The oil Pressure came up right away, okay good, I asked what number is it close to her response was between 60 and 80. Holly s*** now I`m thinking about draining that oil and adding some 10-30. I still have to replace the muffler, the tail pipe got pulled out of the muffler, maybe tomorrow. It's getting closer to turning the key.

I got a chance for some garage time this weekend and made progress. Battery tray mount and tray in, new muffler and exhaust is in, alternator, power steering pump, belts all on. Front drive shaft installed. I`ve been thinking about the oil pressure thing and it has dawned on me that the reason for high pressure is most likely from the oil passage in the cam not being not being lined up for the upper end creating a dead head situation so I`ll see what it is when it runs.

IMG_4347.jpeg

Sure looks good in there! Hopefully you'll have some time driving it before summer comes... Right around the corner!

Made some good progress today. It's alive !!!!! I still have to much oil pressure 80psi o_O o_O Its got 15-40 in it now and going to change it out tomorrow 5-30 hopefully that drops it down some. took it for a 10 to 15 mile ride at hwy speed ran good. Now to put the bib and hood and winch back on. Also got to put the flywheel cover back on then pull the head on the old F and look at the bad piston. Then clean the garage back up.
It's Alive

Made some good progress today. It's alive !!!!! I still have to much oil pressure 80psi o_O o_O Its got 15-40 in it now and going to change it out tomorrow 5-30 hopefully that drops it down some. took it for a 10 to 15 mile ride at hwy speed ran good. Now to put the bib and hood and winch back on. Also got to put the flywheel cover back on then pull the head on the old F and look at the bad piston. Then clean the garage back up.
It's Alive

That’s fantastic! Gives me hope.

I pulled the head on the old F engine today. I was surprised to find that not only #2 piston had 2 holes #5 had a hole also. The real interesting thing is that both pistons the hole was in the same place about 7 o-clock and the same size.

#2 Notice the chunk stuck in the piston at the right edge.
IMG_4438.jpeg

IMG_4448.jpeg

And #5 cylinder tested at 146 psi compression?

Now I’m wondering about the validity of compression testing in general.

What borescope/endoscope you have? I need to get something that will work with iphone junk or self-contained.

Last edited:
And #5 cylinder tested at 146 psi compression?

Now I’m wondering about the validity of compression testing in general.

What borescope/endoscope you have? I need to get something that will work with iphone junk or self-contained.
The last pics were with the head off but the first ones back in January were with this Iphone Bore Scope not bad pics for under $30.00 bucks.

I pulled the head on the old F engine today. I was surprised to find that not only #2 piston had 2 holes #5 had a hole also. The real interesting thing is that both pistons the hole was in the same place about 7 o-clock and the same size.

#2 Notice the chunk stuck in the piston at the right edge.
View attachment 2969159

View attachment 2969160
How does the head look? Any burnt valves or anything?

Yeah I was wondering if there was a broken valve spring that might have caused the damage.

Your #5 cylinder situation got me to order an endoscope. According to the ASE certification test on Wet Compression Test Diagnosis, you shouldn’t have had any compression pressure in that cylinder.
FEB2140D-A36C-45E9-B2EE-1FC88AA83C42.png

So an ASE certified repair shop with an ‘ok’ diagnosis for your cylinder #5 would have been incorrect. If you hadn’t scoped your #2 cylinder, your ASE technician might have had you going down another path. I might be in the same boat as all six of my cylinders’ compression are good but I have visible blowby. Hence, scoped ordered 😂.

Yeah I was wondering if there was a broken valve spring that might have caused the damage.

Your #5 cylinder situation got me to order an endoscope. According to the ASE certification test on Wet Compression Test Diagnosis, you shouldn’t have had any compression pressure in that cylinder.
View attachment 2969715

So an ASE certified repair shop with an ‘ok’ diagnosis for your cylinder #5 would have been incorrect. If you hadn’t scoped your #2 cylinder, your ASE technician might have had you going down another path. I might be in the same boat as all six of my cylinders’ compression are good but I have visible blowby. Hence, scoped ordered 😂.
I have one of those $30 Amazon scopes. I use it for tons of stuff. Well worth it.

How does the head look? Any burnt valves or anything?
#2 exhaust valve looks burnt to me #5 looked good. No broken valve springs nothing of alarm just excessive blow-by. The plugs are just some old ones I put in to plug the hole.

IMG_4425.jpeg
IMG_4434.jpeg

IMG_4428.jpeg

View attachment 2969715

ASE certified shop 😂. That would be me 😂 in the garage. I certified myself after 40 years of working on the same 40 😀. Really though I agree with you a certified shop would have just said engine worn out and needs rebuilt/replaced. If you guys need any F engine parts let me know. I was kinda surprised there is no ridge in any of the cylinders.

Between your good block and bad pistons…. And my cracked block and good pistons…..

I want whatever the OP's compression tester gauge has been smoking! At my elevation, compression numbers like that (even corrected) would be a fantasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom