Time to Replace the old F Engine (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a fully desmogged 2F in my '73 40 but ran the early 2 barrel carb and early vacuum advance distributor. It ran great and had so much more power compared to my stock 2F in the FJ60 with all the smog gear intact. They felt like completely different engines. (Of course, the 60 weighed almost double..) I lived in the rockies at the time and climbed the passes well. Only issue I ever had was occasional vapor lock in the fuel system. What all would you need to retain from the 60 gear to keep the HAC functional? Getting rid of all that vacuum spaghetti really simplifies things.

What all would you need to retain from the 60 gear to keep the HAC functional? Getting rid of all that vacuum spaghetti really simplifies things.

I'm still trying to figure that out but you would need most of these things.

PXL_20220217_185635281.jpg

Believe you would also need most the other 60 stuff including the carb with the vacuum port to connect it to, a vacuum advance distributer probably a "gas filter" vacuum fitting on the intake manifold, the violet vacuum fitting on the thermostats housing and about half the spaghetti of how it was in the 60.

Hopefully someone else with more vacuum wizard skills can confirm?

Last edited:
I`ve got it pretty stripped down. Now to finish cleaning and paint and some new freeze plugs & a desmog kit from TLC. I`m going to run the early manifolds and my sniper efi system. It should run pretty good. The valve train is really clean also.
IMG_4258.jpeg
IMG_4257.jpeg

Yea I got a pile with all of that smog pump, carb, vacuum tubes, egr, cooler and stuff, intake/exhaust manifolds, A/C compressor, transmission.

IMG_5236.jpeg

I got some more time today and made a stand and got the freeze plugs changed and stud kit for the early style intake/exhaust manifolds. I was very surprised on how clean the inside of the block and head were the freeze plugs were in great shape also.

IMG_4264.jpeg

Also believe that clutch fan is too long to fit in your 40 without moving the radiator forward are you planning on replacing it with a non clutch fan and water pump?
I`m running a clutch fan now. I actually measured it today and it measures the same as what I have now. So that part should be good.

Engine is looking great! Whats the advantage of using the older intake/exhaust vs the ones that it came with? Also what paint did you use on the block?
Thanks. I don't think there is not really any advantage except that I will be able to use my same linkage setup and the exhaust should be easier to line back up and bolt up. The paint is just an engine paint.

Be very careful from here on out, your staring right down the entrance of the rabbit hole!

Be very careful from here on out, your staring right down the entrance of the rabbit hole!
Hell I`ve jumped in that hole awhile back :doh: just come up for a 🥃 or 🥃🥃

My :princess: asked me why every time I go out into the garage more parts come off of that POS.:bang: I just tell her just give a couple of weeks and it will be back together.:bang:

My :princess: asked me why every time I go out into the garage more parts come off of that POS.:bang: I just tell her just give a couple of weeks and it will be back together.:bang:
It's just part of the process, you put parts on to make sure they will fit with what you have then you figure out what will fit better and so on and so forth. Actually been very happy with the problems I have avoided by prefitting things to see what works with what, apparently I'm a very visual learner.

I made a deal with myself last time I pulled one of my engines: two weeks max on detailing. Then, hell or high water, the motor goes back in. I put in a lot of elbow grease in those 14 days, but I stuck to it.😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom