Tight steering won’t return to neutral ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you checked that there's lubricant in the steering box..

Welcome!
You will need to give up a little more info.
Stock set up?
Just start happening?
Pictures of your steering components would help a lot. These folks will figure it out.

Did someone over tighten the center arm at the frame?

When I was playing around with the center arm tightness on my rig taking out some slop, I over tightened it as I was trying to find the sweet spot. The results were very heavy/tight steering and non centering. As BreckenridgeCruiser pointed out, maybe check that.

^^^^All of above, plus if front tires are pointed outward too far they do not want to return to center when you loosen grip on steering wheel when coming out of a corner. Just the opposite happens when front tires pointed too far inward, vehicle never wants to go straight, darts all over the road.

Steering is really tight and won’t return to center when let go of steering wheel
Would be good to know if this is a new to you vehicle? ie. did you buy truck this way? Or, have you or someone else recently worked on it? If so, what was worked on?

Lift shackles?

Too little caster and it also won’t return to centre.

Really tight compared to other 40s or something with power steering?

Thanks to everyone that helped me look into this problem. I have determined so far it was in the steering box and it didn’t have enough shims and was to tight and was binding. This was a recent purchase and didn’t know what to look for.
Again thanks very much!

Can anyone suggest what to replace fluid in the steering box? I disabled it and everything seems to have very low wear, I ordered new seals and gaskets for it.
It will take a couple of weeks to get parts so I have time to do research. Again thanks for all your help!!!

Steering is really tight and won’t return to center when let go of steering wheel
When did this problem start? Was anything touched in the steering prior to the issue you state? Was ANYTHING adjusted/greased/modified before you noticed this issue?
This problem does not just suddenly appear without something radical happening to the steering components--wear is NOT an issue-that happens over time---did the truck strike a curb/skim a guardrail?
Check the tie rods/drag link--are they straight?(non-return to center indicates a toe-in/out problem) Jack up the front and turn the steering from lock to lock--is there any binding/tough spots? Check the rag joint to make sure it is ok. Check all the bolts securing the center arm and the steering box to make sure they are tight and show no evidence of movement. Verify no oil leaks from the steering box--(this would be a wear issue-so prob not a cause-but good to check anyway)
Hope this helps--
Gary

Lift shackles?

Too little caster and it also won’t return to centre.

Really tight compared to other 40s or something with power steering?
So how can you adjust castor on these 40's?--my FSM says that's not possible--obviously I'm missing something---

So how can you adjust castor on these 40's?--my FSM says that's not possible--obviously I'm missing something---
Castor wedges or cutting off the spring purches and welding them on in a different position.

I have heard there are offset bearings that can change castor/camber, however, they are extremely difficult to adjust and require a lot of work to install.

Google found this link:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom