Thrust Washer importance level (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, this may seem like a stupid question to many and I have a good idea as to the correct answer but I guess I'm just looking for some general agreement or disagreement with my thoughts.

I'm putting my drivers side hub back together after new bearings, new ceramic pads and freshly resurfaced brake rotors, anyway i get to the point where I'm putting on the first adjusting nut (for preload) and realize I forgot the thrust washer and THEN realize I never took one off when taking it all apart. Looks like a PO did the job at some earlier date and ended up with an extra washer after the job was done and chose not to tear it back apart and FIX it cause that would've been too hard, I guess...

my question is, Is the thrust washer very important or VERY IMPORTANT when assembling the hub back together?

...and I'm assuming its a dealer item only?

So your inner nut was directly against the bearing? I would say it's VERY IMPORTANT to not repeat that snafu...

So your inner nut was directly against the bearing? I would say it's VERY IMPORTANT not to repeat that snafu...

yep, the PO had left the inner nut against the bearing, which does explain the extra stress marks on the outer steering knuckle shaft that the bearings ride on. i'm guessing the hub nuts couldn't fully seat against the bearing due to extra space created by the missing thrust washer.

guess it's back to the parts house...one more time :bang:

Last edited:
Well, this may seem like a stupid question to many and I have a good idea as to the correct answer but I guess I'm just looking for some general agreement or disagreement with my thoughts.

I'm putting my drivers side hub back together after new bearings, new ceramic pads and freshly resurfaced brake rotors, anyway i get to the point where I'm putting on the first adjusting nut (for preload) and realize I forgot the thrust washer and THEN realize I never took one off when taking it all apart. Looks like a PO did the job at some earlier date and ended up with an extra washer after the job was done and chose not to tear it back apart and FIX it cause that would've been too hard, I guess...

my question is, Is the thrust washer very important or VERY IMPORTANT when assembling the hub back together?

...and I'm assuming its a dealer item only?

It's these stories that motivate me to tear down front ends to the balls, and repack everything

Standing by :)

I would say important, would want one in there. That said, have taken them apart where they were missing, with no major issue, so it does kinda work?

It's these stories that motivate me to tear down front ends to the balls, and repack everything

Standing by :)

When I first brought mine home and lifted her skirt up, I found that the drivers side lower trunnion bearing block to be missing a stud, a nut, and the remaining two nuts were finger tight. Now, when I say finger tight, I mean I was able to turn them by gripping them only by the tip of my index finger and thumb. Granted, the axle had been leaking so bad, the knuckles were just big balls of grease and I didn't discover this until I started knocking off the clumps of crap.

When I first brought mine home and lifted her skirt up, I found that the drivers side lower trunnion bearing block to be missing a stud, a nut, and the remaining two nuts were finger tight. Now, when I say finger tight, I mean I was able to turn them by gripping them only by the tip of my index finger and thumb. Granted, the axle had been leaking so bad, the knuckles were just big balls of grease and I didn't discover this until I started knocking off the clumps of crap.

Yep, same here, well as far as fixing up all the PO non-maintenance + various repairs and performance enhancements for the 3FE:flipoff2:, yeah right:smokin:. It just takes me a long time to do things cause I have to plan for them, mine is my DD and every project i do, i have to complete within a couple of days. pretty tough sharing my :princess: minivan isn't much fun but hey it's toyota too so it's not all bad o_O, right? I didn't want to crack open the steering knuckles just yet. they're not weeping goop nor are they clicking in the least...so i'm just gonna fill'em up with moly (3/4 full, i know). so just brakes and new wheel bearings and almost done except for PO incompetence or i'd be done already. not too bad for a serious :banana: mechanic like myself.

90214-42030. It needs to be there and it is cheap in the big picture. To willfully leave it out and expect a good outcome is negligent at best

I'm pretty sure it's keyed to the hub and isn't just there as a thrustwasher. If the bearing inner race got enough spin and had enough burr on the inner nut. It could spin that nut. It acts as a barrier so that doesn't not happen.

I'm pretty sure it's keyed to the hub and isn't just there as a thrustwasher. If the bearing inner race got enough spin and had enough burr on the inner nut. It could spin that nut. It acts as a barrier so that doesn't not happen.

it is definitely keyed to the hub spindle and yep, there's no way I'm going to assemble it without that washer. only reason i called it a thrust washer is from the FAQ section under hub and knuckle rebuild

Correct.
I had a bearing seize shortly after I bought my 1st 80. I guess at the moment the bearing collapsed, it tore the little key off the thrust washer and spun it, and galled it up pretty good. Without the thrust washer, all that torque would have been on the lock nuts.

I would say important, would want one in there. That said, have taken them apart where they were missing, with no major issue, so it does kinda work?
Correct.
I had a bearing seize shortly after I bought my 1st 80. I guess at the moment the bearing collapsed, it tore the little key off the thrust washer and spun it, and galled it up pretty good. Without the thrust washer, all that torque would have been on the lock nuts.

I always thought that the keyed thrust washer was there to help resist the rotational forces of the inner race on the outer bearing, IF the race was NOT trapped onto the tappered spindle by the nuts being torqued enough. Even if the nuts are loose, the thrust washer key will resist the rotational force, at least for a while til the key fatigues. Most thrust washers show a groove on one or both faces where the nuts have been too loose and it has allowed the inner bearing race to spin. Not Good.

I always thought that the keyed thrust washer was there to help resist the rotational forces of the inner race on the outer bearing, IF the race was NOT trapped onto the tappered spindle by the nuts being torqued enough. Even if the nuts are loose, the thrust washer key will resist the rotational force, at least for a while til the key fatigues. Most thrust washers show a groove on one or both faces where the nuts have been too loose and it has allowed the inner bearing race to spin. Not Good.

yes the one thrust washer i did have on my passenger side was grooved on both sides, now that i think about it. i am getting a couple of them so that i can replace the grooved one next time...perhaps when i rebuild the knuckles, one day

I don't think the spindles are tapered where the bearings sit. A taper there would potentially prevent you achieving a pre load on the bearings. I think

well i was going to purchase the washer from my local toyota dealer in Burleson, TX but when i discovered they wanted $45 PER WASHER, well i found a shop called Low Range Offroad, 10 bucks per washer, two axle nuts, and a locking washer, so i got two kits. might as well have an extra on hand, right?

well i was going to purchase the washer from my local toyota dealer in Burleson, TX but when i discovered they wanted $45 PER WASHER, well i found a shop called Low Range Offroad, 10 bucks per washer, two axle nuts, and a locking washer, so i got two kits. might as well have an extra on hand, right?

Toyota MSRP on the thrust washer: $4.28

:lol:

sometimes when i walk in there i feel like i'm :bang: . wow, that's a pretty dang steep markup!

Yes, this goes back to my previous discussion about Toyota MSRP and how EACH dealer addresses their pricing structure.

The MSRP means nothing if no one follows it, especially if it is LOWER.

YMMV...... JMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom