Three things you love or wish you had about your GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My top 3:
1. 4.7 V8...runs real smooth and it's 16 years for my engine. It actually runs smoother than my 2008 LS460 V8.
2. Rear airbags that can be raised or lowered. I still use them when off-roading or when camping to level the rig if needed to sleep in the back more level.
3. Solid reliability and build. When you close the doors, you can tell it's well built. Comfortable to drive on the highway and on the trail.

My bottom 3:
1. Rear hatch door. I wish it was like the 80-series landcruiser which is very useful to sit on or get some rain protection or quick access to the cargo.
2. No rear e-locker option offered from the factory. I wish it had the 2010 FJC rear e-locker and 8.2" rear diff.
3. Navigation is useless. I just use my iPhone and various map apps like Gaia and Google Offline Maps.

Last edited:
Love the engine
Love the head room in the back
Love the capability

Hate the Nav
Hate the rear hatch design
Hate the lack of factory lockers

I love the engine
I really appreciate the head room (I'm 6'3")
I think I like the odd jump seats for the rear so a kid can sit back there with luggage and gear if they want extra space from each other

The rear door is very strange
No storage in the rear for gear (no cubbies to keep organized)
DVD - I can't figure out how to get it to work because there are no buttons

Love:
Capable and good looking.
Build quality.

Hate:
MPG (I know, ironic).
Not enough cup holders and the ones that are there suck (my Tacoma had 13).
Pretty much no storage. Center console is shallow and worthless. Door pockets are next to worthless.

Love:
4.7 power compared to my 1FZ-FE straight 6
Semi-compact design for a 7 seat SUV
Very useful and well thought out design with the rear jump seats
Seats are comfy...like the warmers that I never thought I'd use.
Actual T-Case shifter instead of a dumb button

Hate:
SUSPENSION sucks. I don't like all the auto height/sport mode crap.
Stupid rear swing gate...although my wife thinks it's cool.
Climate control/nav/stereo cluster.
ATRAC or whatever it is...just gimme front/rear lockers.
Body cladding...prefer solid panels.

Top 5 love/hate

Last edited:
Love:
1) Unmatched Toyota build quality - feels new @12yo with 105k miles
2) 4wd
3) Perfect blend of comfortable/capable

Not So Much:
1) Rear door swings the wrong direction
2) Transmission could use another gear or two
3) OEM suspension too expensive to replace with new OEM

Like:
V8
Solid quiet feel
Small size

Meh:
Auto door lock when in drive.
Expensive keys
Plastic body trim

Meh:
Auto door lock when in drive.

I believe that can be changed in Tech Stream. I hate the anti-carjack/anti-rape feature with the remote where I have to press unlock twice, but this can be changed, too, as soon as I either get Tech Stream or befriend someone who has it.

I love everything about it and hate nothing...because I fixed all the things I didn't like lol.

I actually don't mind the rear door at all!

I love everything about it and hate nothing...because I fixed all the things I didn't like lol.

I actually don't mind the rear door at all!

tumblr_nj5w4qSaCf1qln00mo1_500.jpg

Love:
1. The v8, what an awesome engine
2. Came already lifted with sliders
3. The headroom is great!

Dislike:
1. Got a water leak, passenger side carpet is wet...haven't been able to track that down yet
2. Front cup holders are worthless
3. Despite the great headroom, some extra leg room up front would be nice. Seat doesn't go back far enough for how tall I am

@quadforce4 Tsumara cup holder insert solved my problem and it's under $40 when available at Lexus GX 470 Cup Holder Insert

@ewillis and @z00t3ch at least the stock suspension is easy and cheaper to replace with coils and shocks than to replace with oem suspension components. Much cheaper.

I'm re-thinking my bottom 3...maybe ATRAC and the 8" rear diff should have made my list. Hmmm. Or maybe not. I think that if a rear stock locker was offered, then it would probably eliminate my ATRAC and 8" rear diff concerns. Really wish it came with the 2010 FJC e-locker and 8.2" rear diff.

@quadforce4 Tsumara cup holder insert solved my problem and it's under $40 when available at Lexus GX 470 Cup Holder Insert

@ewillis and @z00t3ch at least the stock suspension is easy and cheaper to replace with coils and shocks than to replace with oem suspension components. Much cheaper.

I'm re-thinking my bottom 3...maybe ATRAC and the 8" rear diff should have made my list. Hmmm. Or maybe not. I think that if a rear stock locker was offered, then it would probably eliminate my ATRAC and 8" rear diff concerns. Really wish it came with the 2010 FJC e-locker and 8.2" rear diff.
Yeah...I really need to just replace my suspension with coils and shocks and stop complaining about it so much. Just trying to keep it stock for awhile as my other truck constantly sucks up all my expendable cash.

@z00t3ch at least the stock suspension is easy and cheaper to replace with coils and shocks than to replace with oem suspension components. Much cheaper.

Kept the bags (I tow and bumper-haul motorcycles) and paid $280.00 shipped for a set of Gabriel shocks/struts meant for a 2007 4Runner, so yup! But I'd have been willing to pay maybe $500 to keep the ability to select the ride, $1800.00 is just ridiculous and $700.00 for Chinese knock-offs is too risky.

love the power of the ride
love the comfort of the ride
love the idea of the low range (not that I use it much, given that both of our GXs are pretty much mall crawlers - although the DSRTGX did see some dirt last year . . . )

not a fan of the ECU location (that lets rainwater in if the aftermarket windshield replacement rubber is ever so slightly imperfectly seated - leading to corrosion of ECU terminals beyond repair :mad:)

59CC7447-B30C-443C-BCDF-3ED9E796CE14.jpeg

not a fan of having to approve the screen dealio all the time :rolleyes: (which I don't, so hubby has become the "approver" :lol:)

not a fan of the self-locking doors (have hated them on every vehicle ever since conceived :meh:)

hate that "nothing at Lexus is ever under $1000" :lol: :doh: - original quote of my Lexus dealer service advisor at Earnhardt Lexus in Phoenix (after a cop claimed that the damage caused by a Chevy running into my Lexus loaner at a light "is under $1000, so we don't take official police reports") - guess why I had that loaner from the dealership ? yeah, that was a repair well OVER $1000 on the DSRTGX :doh:

have to admit, though, that Lexus of Lubbock fixed a leaking A/C vent on the SWAMPGX for $47, and Sewell Lexus of Ft. Worth gave me a $27 gas cap for free - and check this: price LeBlanc Lexus of Baton Rouge just recently agreed to replace my damn cracked dash for free :bounce:

hate that I forget that the read door opener is not in the middle (but that wouldn't be the problem if I didn't also drive 80 series :doh:)

hate the idea of ever having to work on wiring on these things - mind you, I come from the 40s world :doh:

@DSRTRDR the “I Agree” button seems to have been required by the government and it’s in my daughters 2004 Acura MDX navigation as well. So, not just Lexus but a lot of cars with navigation around those years.

Self-locking doors can be disabled as others have stated. I’m sure your Lexus dealer will charge you a good penny to do it!

Those of us with aftermarket windshields should take precautions to ensure ECU is sealed, but for me it rarely rains in Los Angeles.

@DSRTRDR the “I Agree” button seems to have been required by the government and it’s in my daughters 2004 Acura MDX navigation as well. So, not just Lexus but a lot of cars with navigation around those years.

Self-locking doors can be disabled as others have stated. I’m sure your Lexus dealer will charge you a good penny to do it!

Those of us with aftermarket windshields should take precautions to ensure ECU is sealed, but for me it rarely rains in Los Angeles.

I believe the door locks can be set. I read in the Manual how to switch the settings. I will try to look tonight for the instructions.

Hey is there a link to sealing the ECU for windshield replacement? I am about to get one done, and this is a new one to me...

Love:
-Engine, solid build quality.
-Ability to be "open" in Low range without additional mods

dislikes:
- no rear heat
- no power 3rd row windows
- less power adjustments on passenger seat- should have everything the driver has
- don't like how I have to "train" my windows to go up and down every time I disconnect the battery.
- still can't solve the sunroof rattle completely.
- rear door- should be split horizontal like a 80/100/200 or split vertical like a 70. We got the worst compromise.
- wish I had a rear locker

Love:
-The V8 is so smooth and so powerful. I came from a 5.7 Tundra and this feels just as strong.
-Full time 4x4 is awesome and i love not really having to worry about switching into 4x4 when I need it like older trucks i've had.
-Super comfy and tight. At 10 years old and 172k it still feels mostly new. My Tundra was a year newer with 100k less miles and it was starting to rattle and stuff was coming loose.

Dislikes (about the GX in general)
-Height. I get nervous when going into parking garages.
-Rear gate. My 95 4Runner had a tailgate. That was awesome. I wish they wouldn't have just copied the Prado and actually made something unique for Lexus.
-Timing belt maintenance

Dislikes (about MY GX specifically (09))
-Seems like I have the whirr whirr whirr vibration/noise under my feet at 70-75 MPH. TSB says to replace a transfer case chain. Not sure i'm about to do that. Guess i'll live with it.
-Sunroof rattle that I made better by adjusting it, but still there. Probably just gonna shove a sock in it.
-Not sure my AC works. I turn it to "LO" and I don't see the clutch kick on, and when it's in the 50's or 60's and I turn it to "LO" it just seems to match the outside temp. So i've gotta get that figured out before summer. The "AC" is selected in the climate menu, and i don't have any warnings or lights indicating something is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom