Thoughts on Cybertruck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah I’ll take a hard pass on the Cybertruck. It is more of a Cyber car and was acknowledged as such by Elon Musk. Nothing new about the powertrain. Missed the claims on range and will require a separate $10k range extender (which takes up most of the bed) to get close. Considerably smaller in production than the vehicle they originally showed us. Good payload but they missed their target on towing by 4000 pounds. Price considerable higher than originally announced but with significantly less capability. Those mirrors look stupid. I could go on but, in short, no thanks.

In 2004 I was in Baghdad and were taken to work and back in armored GM SUVs and were told that the armor was good up to a 30-06 which is much more powerful then the calibers they tested the door with in the Tesla video with pistol calibers.

My 50 Beowulf would punch right through as well as a Marlin 444.
Yeah I once ran a large tech company in Monterrey, Mexico. My transport was one of 4 heavily armored Chevy Suburbans and little would stop one of those unless they used an anti tank mine. Glad I never had to test it.

The Cybertruck claim is not certified and is little more than typical Maximum Elon marketing.

Soooo ugly. Like the specs, hate the design.

I've put almost 5 years and 100k miles on my model 3 DD and it is far and away the most reliable, trouble-free vehicle I have ever owned. I've bought tires and a 12v battery ($60, install it yourself like a regular battery). That's literally the only maintenance it's needed in 5 years. Minimal battery degradation too.

That's not to say it's perfect. As an early-run model 3, it has the litany of "build quality" issues that are very well documented. Basically it's a loud, harsh-riding rattle trap. But all those issues have been sorted on the newer models.

And I will echo what others have said. EV's are for the daily duties for people who drive ~200mi or less in a day. I would never attempt a road trip unless it was purely for scientific purposes aka s***s and giggles. Charging technology (speed) may never catch up to a gas pump, and it will be decades before there are enough stations that you really don't have to think about it.

tradesmen will never adopt this.

Counterpoint: my general contractor and his foreman both have pre-orders in for cybertruck

Last edited:
Soooo ugly. Like the specs, hate the design.
I never thought that the original design would make it to production - too controversial, and likely not utilitarian enough for a truck.

Yes Sir. I'm sure the industry will eventually develop a real EV truck once the technology improves.
One day soon!

It will much like propane powered vehicles were in many fleet settings, but you can predict that type of driving almost down to the mile.

There is a practical purpose for EV’s, but the misleading presentation and misappropriation of resources forced by the government is borderline criminal for the uninformed consumer.

EV technology should develop and be allowed to proliferate in manner driven by the free market, it will find it’s place!

Tesla has really done an admirable job in that area, however they have benefited greatly by government aid starting 3 administrations ago!

Manufacturers are already putting planning contingencies in place to reverse some of the EV related changes they have had to make the past few years based on the outcome of next years elections here and in Europe.

Just another truck for those with SDS (Small "Richard" Syndrome). Like all those domestic full size trucks with 5.5 ft beds these days (well Tundras too).

Just a few videos to show how revolutionary it is:

Tesla Cybertruck Crash Test - BeamNG.Drive #shorts - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/yEuwjU2EXRw

Driving Tesla Cybertruck: Everything You Need to Know! - https://youtu.be/XxOh12Uhg08?si=ay46k584ScFutp1l

And then there is this:

EV market leader Tesla has company-owned collision repair centers, as well as a network of privately owned body shops. Those additions helped half the cost of repairs on Teslas over the past decade as more shops became equipped to work on the vehicles, said Xander Walker, a former Tesla employee who worked on refurbishing leased vehicles and trade-ins.

Today, Tesla says the costs of operating a Model 3 sedan are similar to those of a Toyota Corolla over a five-year period, in part because of lower maintenance and repair costs.
——————————————————————————————
My comment: Cybertruck is Tesla drop mic moment vs. every other EV. And it looks like Cybertruck is its own brand because you can’t find much Tesla decals anywhere!

Still no rifle rounds.

There’s a long thread on the Cybertruck in the EV section of Mud, which is where this one probably belongs because it’s not 200 tech.

Not something I'd ever be interested in.
I got a chuckle from this over the top article title.

There’s a long thread on the Cybertruck in the EV section of Mud, which is where this one probably belongs because it’s not 200 tech.

I’m not religious but amen.

Basically it's a loud, harsh-riding rattle trap. But all those issues have been sorted on the newer models.

Less than 10k miles in mine literally says otherwise.

I like it, but I am not an "early adopter." I was also one of those guys who thought DeLoreans were cool as a kid.

I'd wait about 3-4 years for the guinea pigs to work through the teething pains.

Of course, the following of a conservative designed brand/model will think it’s ugly.

It’s so ugly it’s kind of cool.

That will not stop the Patagonia/Sorel wearing “outdoorsy” Tech Bros from buying it. I suspect I will see it all over Chicagoland.

I like it, but I am not an "early adopter." I was also one of those guys who thought DeLoreans were cool as a kid.

I'd wait about 3-4 years for the guinea pigs to work through the teething pains.

Last edited:
No secret I've been a proponent of the CT. My wife has had EVs for 10 years now and they have a strong foothold in my family. My wife is not a car person, but she will not go back to ICE and I can't blame her. I've been questioning if I feel the same way and it's hard to resist the merits of EVs, Tesla's specifically.

I'm a car enthusiast and love all things cars. I should say I could care less what other people think and I drive cars for myself. Beyond aesthetics, there's so much going for the CT that it's hard to resist. For context, I have both an LX and a 911 Turbo, both highly modified. Both vehicles may not have an assured place in my garage going forward depending on how the CT works out. I mean, when has there been in history, a single car that potentially has the bandwidth to supplant both hyperbolic cars in the way I use them.

As this is a 200-series forum, my baseline for comparison is my own LX on 35s that's a goat off-road and will tow, road-trip, or date night competently. It gets almost 500mile range unladen with the help of an aux tank. Will tow an 8k trailer about 240 miles. $150 per fill-up but it's all smiles for miles.

The Cyberbeast comes factory with what I've spent a lot of time to achieve in my LX. It has similar unladen range. Towing range will almost be similar. And it's doing this on factory AT 35s! I bet when fitted with lower profile HT tires, it would easily achieve 500mile range. On my friends Rivian, a swap from 32 HT tires to the factory 34 AT tires cost him 14% range. If we were to account for that same factor on the Cyberbeast, it would be 501mile range.

Yes the CT will be expensive. Interesting, both my LX and Porsche, when accounting for time adjusted purchase costs new, were each more than a full spec CT with extender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom