Thoughts From the 200 Crew On the LC250 Reveal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My son had a 4 cylinder Corolla for a while. That 4 cylinder, once warmed up, was silent. I guess we’ll see how this one is.
I love how Toyota integrates the electric motor in between the engine and transmission on their trucks. It's clearly a more durable system than many other hybrids, so I'd at least much rather have the hybrid 4cyl in this new LC than, for example, the hybrid in a new Defender...

Maybe with all the isolation and sound deadening that will end up in these trucks the typical 4cyl noise won't be an issue. Here's hoping at least.

I just wish they had not included a digital IP. I really hate those things. Both of my wife’s BMWs have them and you can’t see them with certain sun angles and with difficulty with polarized sun glasses.

digital IP? Sorry if it's obvious.

Looks like Toyota is spec'ing it at 27mpg, so that will be a significant range increase.

Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 8.36.10 PM.jpg

Might be just a coincidence, but few days ago Carmax had only 1 LC for sale, today, after LC250 (Prado) announcement, take a look:

Untitled8.2.23.jpg

edit: probably people cancelled their reserves / holds.

For crying out loud, Toyota , just give us this already. I kept looking at the new 70 during the reveal hoping there was going to be the announcement it was coming our direction. Too bad this surprise reveal from last night isn't applicable to us.

2024-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-70-Series-Japan-8-1024x683.jpg

Which is not the USA for the 300-series. The voting dollars told them it was too much for us. Too much weight and cost, too little tech and MPG. We never valued core capability, durability, and strength the way other markets did.
The rest of the world does not have the competition in that segment. Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition, Navigator. Also the full size pickup - F150, Silverado, Sierra, Ram. I had a LX570 for a while but man - it's a very small full sized SUV with horrible gas mileage. Better value and room in a Suburban or Tahoe - or a full sized pickup. That's what killed the LC market in the USA. You really have got to want an LC in the USA to buy it. There are too many competitive full sized SUV's that beat it in room, mpg, price (by a lot) and other attributes. I love the LC 200 but it's hard to justify. The LC 300 would have the same problem if not more of one as the domestic offerings keep getting better. For the price of an LC300 you can get a fully loaded Escalade or Navigator. That's a hard sell.

Toyota's legendary reliability, durabililty and longevity are a curse since one can get better spec'd USDM competition at a lower price that will be almost as reliable for the first 100,000 miles and most will be sold before then.

I can't speak for other Toyota purists but I find myself buying used and keeping for a long time. None of my money goes to Toyota except for filters. Obviously, others are more than willing to pay $40-60k for a Toyota 4x4 so bringing the Prado here seems like easy money. The six-figure SUV belongs on the Lexus lot.

For the price of an LC300 you can get a fully loaded Escalade or Navigator. That's a hard sell.
The Off-Road ability & robustness is the differentiator. You're saying that didn't matter to enough consumers. Or at least not more than those other factors you listed (space, mpgs, etc).

Not disagreeing, just a bummer to think about. I know there are folks on here that love their LCs and never go off-pavement. It's not a vehicle I'd have ever considered if I was planning on staying on-road at all time -- but I get others have different wants and needs. Nothing wrong with that.

The Off-Road ability & robustness is the differentiator. You're saying that didn't matter to enough consumers. Or at least not more than those other factors you listed (space, mpgs, etc).

Not disagreeing, just a bummer to think about. I know there are folks on here that love their LCs and never go off-pavement. It's not a vehicle I'd have ever considered if I was planning on staying on-road at all time -- but I get others have different wants and needs. Nothing wrong with that.
This...all the soccer moms in our neighborhood drive either new Navigators, Suburban's/Yukon Denali XLs, Expeditions. There's one new LX and then our 200. They have no idea what a Land Cruiser is. But the new one unveiled last night may just grab their attention b/c it has that kind of new overlandy look to it like a bronco or Defender.
The Off-Road ability & robustness is the differentiator.

Reslly depends on what you mean by ‘off road’. I’ve been driving LCs continuously for 36 years. Much on pavement, most on dirt and gravel roads. I don’t rock crawl, I don’t do highly techical trails. Land cruiser 200s aren’t really designed for that anyways. I do drive thousands of miles of corrugated gravel roads that would shake apart most vehicles. Muddy fire roads. Shelf roads. All on which the LC200 excels. There are a few folks on here with highly built 200s who would tell me I don’t drive off road. Fair enough. But the 200 does the off pavement driving i need it to. And the 250 will as well.

Looks like Toyota is spec'ing it at 27mpg, so that will be a significant range increase.

View attachment 3390680
Looks better in that environment!

If it is really a Land Cruiser, Toyota will keep the range at 250-275 highway in stock trim, its what a modern Land Cruiser does regardless of series!

I will test drive one of these 250's the first chance I get. Since the 200 is my wife's vehicle, I could see trading it for the 250. She really hates two things about the 200: the pathetic range per tank and the lack of a HVAC fan speed button. I can see the 250 having a +400 mile range (if Toyota doesn't screw it up and put a small tank in) and in the videos of the 250 I see a fan speed button on the dash.

Looks better in that environment!

If it is really a Land Cruiser, Toyota will keep the range at 250-275 highway in stock trim, its what a modern Land Cruiser does regardless of series!
If they stay with a 20-24 gallon tank they will have a nice range in the 500-600 mile zone.

Reslly depends on what you mean by ‘off road’. I’ve been driving LCs continuously for 36 years. Much on pavement, most on dirt and gravel roads. I don’t rock crawl, I don’t do highly techical trails. Land cruiser 200s aren’t really designed for that anyways. I do drive thousands of miles of corrugated gravel roads that would shake apart most vehicles. Muddy fire roads. Shelf roads. All on which the LC200 excels.
This definitely falls under what I meant by off-road. I have the same use-case for my LC100, and other vehicles for hardcore technical trails (see Power Wagon & OG Defender). I meant more the peeps that literally do not ever leave pavement.

1st impression:
Looks cheap

My '15 200 doesn't after 8 years - likewise 4 previous 100's were in a different class too.

Yes the 200 Land Cruiser always cost more, but so did the 100's back then.

Finally the hybrid battery friendly raised rear cargo in the '24 looks like an afterthought IMO

Don’t know why they even put those ugly aluminum wheels on the 1958. Why not just put 17” or 18” steel wheels on, since 90% of buyers are just going to buy aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom