those of you with rear disks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One last question before I dig in... Are any of you running without an inline proportioning valve (the Wilwood knob type)? I have heard that a change can be made to the master cylinder, but others have said that it is absolutely necessary to run one of these. I have a 1st generation 4-runner master cylinder, man-a-fre's up front, and all the stuff for monte carlo brakes in the back. Thanks in advance!

Mike

I just reseached this. I am going to do the same upgrade nexy week.
Seems that there is people that have sucess without and some who change the master. Some tried to run without it and had problems and then installed it.
So there is no exact answer except that you may or maynot need one or you can use the master change. How ever a proprotion valve installed is a good way to go and you won't regret it. That's what I plan on doing. Hope that help

so, you are running a brake booster? If you are, I used a '95 Land Cruiser master on mine. It is set up for 4 wheel disks, and the 4 bolt mounting pattern that the mini truck and I think the newer cruisers use. I have a mini PU booster installed. I haven't put a proportioning valve in and all 4 of my tires lock at about the same point. Absolutly love the 4W disks and wouldn't live without them, especially when you get them wet.

Juice said:
One last question before I dig in... Are any of you running without an inline proportioning valve (the Wilwood knob type)? I have heard that a change can be made to the master cylinder, but others have said that it is absolutely necessary to run one of these. I have a 1st generation 4-runner master cylinder, man-a-fre's up front, and all the stuff for monte carlo brakes in the back. Thanks in advance!

Mike

No valve that I know of. Though I'm running a 95 LC master with stock front disks. Works like a charm perfect balance.

I guess I just got lucky on my 71 fj40. I have mini disc front and GM rear and all I had to do was remove the residual valves from the stock master. Bias may be off just a bit but it handles well both on and off road. I was ready to install the proportioning valve but didn't see a need.

i dont use the proportioning valve, i used the M/C that JT Outfitters sells. i believe its from a 94 4runner with 4 wheel disc but no anti lock brakes. it works great even in snow and ice, all 4 wheels lock up the same, the bias is perfect and i have been running this for about 2 years now on a daily driver and never have had a problem yet. oh and the master cylinder bolted right up to my 76 vacum canister and i didnt even have to adjust the adjustment rod between the petal and canister. but i did have to slightly bend one brake line because the new master had one outlet on top instead of the side no big deal. good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom