This Little Piggy Got Chopped... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll probably be picking up a parts rig in the near future that I'd be able to cut all the pillars out if you're interested.

I got a tip about a rusted out fj55 in a field about 2 hour drive from here. looks to have solid pillars and a few other parts I might be interested in. I'm going to go look at it and hopefully pick it up when the snow melts and we have access to it.

Sounds good. If it doesn't pan out, let me know. Good luck.

You can cut lexan or polycarbonite to fit in the mean time.

Yes you can. Obviously it is based on the thickness. The best way would be to add temporary tabs and rivet to those.

Looked into it a few days ago. In Ontario we can't use Laxan for the windshield or doors. Needs to be "Safety Automotive Glass"

With the nicer weather I figured it’s time to start to tinker with the 55. Threw on a cheap muffler so I don’t upset the neighbors too much (was a header and that’s it). A few weeks ago put a bit of tranny fluid in the cylinders to loosen up the rings (was told it sat for a few years without running). Manually turned the crank ¼ rotation every few days. Put new plugs in her (had a new distributor cap/wires). I got the timing and idle set so she runs under her own power and has power but is blowing a little smoke(I’m assuming rings still need to re-seat from sitting or valves need to be adjusted). She starts up first crank now. Drove up and down the driveway a few times and she seemed like she was going to be a good runner. Let her sit idle in the driveway for ½ hour ish and when I came back outside from the garage there was a small oil spot that looks like it’s coming from the front main seal. Going to investigate that a little more in the near future.

So, I finally got all the details worked out and if everything goes as planned, I should be going to pick up the parts cruiser this Sunday. she's in rough shape, but it should have most the stuff I need to get the chopped 55 road legal. then a bunch of other stuff that ill need as I build the chopped piggy.

poarts cruiser.jpg

The project was put on hold for a bit while i was working on other stuff. I did a few small things like fix the steering. Upgraded from manual steering to a power steering box and re-positioned it so its no longer rubbing the Oil pan and Alternator when i turn. she still is kind of on hold, but gets a little attention every now and then.

I know the axles were upgraded to 4 wheel disc brakes on this pig before i got it. So i have a few questions.
What is the axle model?
How big of tire / HP can i go before i start to have problems with this axle assembly / Shaft?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

58629897_458870254917488_3459404219134509056_n.jpg

58831601_1105554409650316_7579934811431632896_n.jpg

59178141_2432809670092020_2288545676969115648_n.jpg

59400029_370260750364300_3698928691192004608_n.jpg

59450084_2192715227705764_1257157380173463552_n.jpg

What is the axle model?
How big of tire / HP can i go before i start to have problems with this axle assembly / Shaft?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Looks like standard fare FJ40/FJ55 axles with a disc conversion on the rear. Front discs became standard in ‘75 or ‘76. An entire axle housing or from the knuckles out could have been swapped in.
You can run into problems with any horsepower and any axle depending on what you’re doing. I’ve popped a stock Birfield with 33 x 12.5’s, and have run mini-truck Birfield’s with 35’s through some pretty rough cringy terrain and have had them hold up. The more finesse you use the better chances your Birfield’s have for survival. You add big tires, lots of torque or rpm, and sudden traction, be prepared for that funny “pop” noise. Or maybe like a “plink”. Or possibly a “clink”. In Canada, it might sound like, “clink-eh?”

The old Steering shaft was rubbing the alternator and the pitman arm was rubbing the oil pan. There was a hell of a knuckle bind when turning. I was able to turn full left and only about 5 degree to the right. the owner before me welded on the plate and burnt through the frame. so i removed the plate, patched the hole with 1/4' plate. lined up the new steering box ( a buddy had steering box out of a 95 T100 mini truck for sale (I know its not the most ideal box, but its going to work for now and ill upgrade it to something bigger in one of the next steps of my build). drilled then sleeved the holes (so i don't crush the frame). then drilled out the pitman arm, used a peice of 1/2" plate to make an "Insert". drilled and taper tapped to accommodate the new steering links (donated by Darwink1). I also made a new friend during the build. He stole a 10mm socket off the neighbor in exchange for peanuts. =D

1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom