This could be my last post :( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, this could be my last post. Yesterday my head gasket blew on my cruiser and I had to get towed to a service station. Today I talked to someone that does engine work and was given a low estimate without parts of $3,000. The sad part is about 4,000 miles ago I put new tires and a complete exhaust w/cats. And a year ago spent another $1,000 replacing the gas tank. It just doesn't seem to make any sense dumping anymore money into it. I just can't believe how expensive it is to replace the head gasket and whatever else they find.

I almost sold mine when my HG blew. But my brother talked some sense into me. I pulled the engine and trans and had them rebuilt. I Also replaced every hose and sensor on the engine. It was pricey but I could have done the head alone for under 1500. Your could go really cheap and just replace the gasket. It isn't as bad as you think once you dig in.

Sorta understand... almost felt that way when our HG blew... then again two weeks later when the engine spun a bearing. Two years later I still have a smile on my face whenever I drive my cruiser. And ALL of the maintenance work I’ve done was cheaper than car payments.

Have you reached out to the NJ cruiser club to see if they can recommend a different/better mechanic?

Sorta understand... almost felt that way when our HG blew... then again two weeks later when the engine spun a bearing. Two years later I still have a smile on my face whenever I drive my cruiser. And ALL of the maintenance work I’ve done was cheaper than car payments.

Have you reached out to the NJ cruiser club to see if they can recommend a different/better mechanic?

No, not yet. That's why I posted this thread, hoping I can figure something out.

My advice: Think about why you have the 80 series. I searched for mine for awhile and, despite all the due diligence in the world, including hours on the phone with the seller and having local club members test drive and even put it on a rack to inspect it (it was halfway across the country from me) I only got to drive it a handful of times before the HG blew. That was in late 2014.

I refused to give up my dream of building an off-road vehicle that would give me and my family years of enjoyment and memories. Oh, there were times when I got frustrated and questioned what I was doing; times that I looked out of the window to see a huge paperweight in my driveway and shouted expletives; times I was very close to throwing in the towel, and most likely would have if not for my ridiculously supportive wife.

This past March of 2019 I finally drove her out of the driveway of the extremely talented and generous president of my own local LC club with a fresh engine build.

Is my pocketbook significantly lighter? Yes. Do I regret my decision at all? NO. Each time I get in and start it up I get a huge smile on my face and a feeling of deep satisfaction in my heart. It was the most delayed gratification experience I have had to face in life (in terms of material desires) and it has made it so much sweeter.

There is always a way..... Machines can be fixed. Backs are a little more problematic. Look for a rusted out rig with a running engine and just pay for a full swap. That may be a better option.

I have a bad back too. I also have a pile of crusiers and lots of plans for them. Our 95 was subjected to my daughter 7 years ago and I’ve spent a lot of time and hard earned money trying to get it back to a decent serviceable condition.

Don’t give up if you love the truck and can get it going again with whatever help you might need.

Are there any vocational schools nearby? Sometimes those schools do cheap work as a way of teaching the students. A blown head gasket on a rare truck might be of interest to them. The price would probably be very cheap, but would take much longer than a regular shop. It's just a shot in the dark, good luck with the repairs

Find an experienced 80 series mechanic close to you (and talk to members
of your local club for referrals)

If you think about in terms of car payments... its not that significant. Otoh you could probably find a nice 4runner or 100 series...

80 Cruiser Rod If you used your Land Cruiser as your DD you could always park it, then look for a used Corolla for around 1000 bucks to use until you've got the money to repair your truck.

Meanwhile I'd start saving all my extra* money for the head gasket repair. *You'd be surprised how much money you can save each week by not pissing it away on eating out, passing on buying those 5 to 8 dollar cups of coffee at Starbucks, and so on.

In short order you'll have the money for the repair, plus once the repairs are done you can sell the Corolla, and get most, if not all your money you paid for it back.

Everyone here has some good advice! As someone who has a lot of Land Cruiser regret.... stick with it if you love it! I sold an amazing 40 in 2010 and a loving 60 in 2012 because of circumstance and I still regret it. Now it takes both my 80 and 77 to fill the hole in my heart! :p
I blew the HG in my 1 Gen T4R and was devastated... I found a way to get it fixed as cheap as possible and 3 years later it's still running and STILL my favorite Yota!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom