Thinking about buying a trailer, any tips or recommendations would be appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

iptman

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about buying an equipment/car hauler and I'd like to solicit recommendations or any tips you may be willing to provide. I found a company down in Ashland called Bigfoot Trailers and they build and sell directly which I like. They seem to build a high quality trailer. I asked them to quote one of their 20 ft (18+2 dovetail) 10k equipment trailers but with slide in ramps instead of fold up, an adjustable coupler, drop down supports on the back corners and a total of 8 welded on D rings. It'll have 6000 pound Dexter never adjust brake axles. My use case is to transport my Kioti tractor (~4500 lbs), my 80 (6000 lbs), my 40 and any other vehicle or piece of equipment. The guy says the trailer will weigh in around 2400 pounds.

Since this would be custom built for me is there anything else I should ask for? For those of you who tow your trail rigs (80s/40s) is 18 flat deck with the 2 foot dovetail sufficient? Anything else I'm not thinking about?

Trailer looks good. I like a long tongue so you do not jack knife it into your bumper. You can also put a storage box on it or fuel cans.
Go for 10 ply or E rated tires if you can
At least a 5-6 k jack so you can drop the trailer with a load on it. A small jack with fail with a load on it.
Make sure the slide in ramps are rated for the load you plan to carry. Most are small.
For what you plan to haul a 18+2 should be plenty unless you have a bush hog on the back of the tractor.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

I've always owned aluminum, so my random comments are limited. Always wanted a big steel utility setup, but never had the right tow rig.
Try to get high-quality, non Chinesium tires on it.
Check wire routing carefully. How much of it is exposed? LED?
Full steel deck or runways or PT 2X decking?
Big picture: Have you got a great spot to store it with easy in/out access?
You can never have enough tie downs. On my small open deck, I'm using staps with formed ends that hook onto the frame. Love the flexibility.

Last edited:
I suppose I could have put in the description on the quote. It will come with the 5000 lbs tongue jack.

Bigfoot Trailers Premium 9,980 LB GVWR Equipment Trailer Meant to Carry Approximately 7,500LB --- 6000lb Dexter Axles With NevR Adjust Brakes on all Wheels --- 225-75R15 8Ply Radial Tires With 6 Year Warranty and Free Road Side Assistance --- 100% LED lighting --- Fully Wrapped DOT Reflexive Tape --- 14,000LB Fixed Welded Coupler --- 5,000LB Topwind Jack --- Full Plug and Play Automotive Style Wire harness --- Tongue Wrapped all the way the Axles --- If not specified otherwise 18ft flat deck with 2 foot Dove tail Total Deck 20ft --- HD Diamond Plate Double Broke Fenders --- Bigfoot Life Coat Paint System --- 3" REAL Structural Channel Crossmembers NOT STAMPED SHEET METAL --- Extreme Duty 60in Adjustable and Removable Ramps NO STAMPED PARTS LIKE THE BIGBOYS

Adjustable coupler and jack +250 sidemount jacks in rear +250

4 extra d-rings

$5748 + tax

Last edited:
I've always owned aluminum, so my random comments are limited.
Try to get high-quality, non Chinesium tires on it.
Check wire routing carefully. How much of it is exposed? LED?
Full steel deck or runways or PT 2X decking?
Big picture: Have you got a great spot to store it with easy in/out access?
You can never have enough tie downs. On my small open deck, I'm using staps with formed ends that hook onto the frame. Love the flexibility.

I'll check on the tires used. They say they use the best wiring harness available but not sure what they means exactly. Yes, LED, and 2x PT deck. I do have room to store it for easy roll in/out.

Thanks for your input.

Trailer looks good. I like a long tongue so you do not jack knife it into your bumper. You can also put a storage box on it or fuel cans.
Go for 10 ply or E rated tires if you can
At least a 5-6 k jack so you can drop the trailer with a load on it. A small jack with fail with a load on it.
Make sure the slide in ramps are rated for the load you plan to carry. Most are small.
For what you plan to haul a 18+2 should be plenty unless you have a bush hog on the back of the tractor.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks Rob. It'll come with 8 ply tires but I'm guessing they'll do 10 ply if I ask them, for a cost. No bush hog but the BH is subframe mounted and sticks out a good bit. I assume it's ok for a bit of the BH boom sticking out past the trailer (legally)?

I see a spot on the side to mount a spare tire, might as well get a matching spare to go with it too.

Spare tireis good, for sure. Especially if leaving the local 'hood.
Socket for the trailer lugs in the tow vehicle.

Security. Lock for the ball to the receiver. And the trailer coupler.
I'm yet to find one I like for the receiver. They all seem to freeze up over not long time.
This is the best one I've used for the coupler.
3 years outside, with just a bucket over the coupler and it still works perfectly.

I'm a big believer in conspicuity tape on trailers. Years ago, I was heading south on 15 towing my race rig late evening. I was behind another truck pulling a big enclosed landscape trailer. Got to the rotary at 50 and he gets T boned. The other car never saw the trailer. Flipped the trailer right over.

I put that stuff down the flanks and some extra on the rear. People just don't see trailers. Especially unladen.

Insurance. Make sure you got the correct coverage. A week after I picked up a brand new race trailer, a microburst sent it tumbliing out into my field. Crumpled up, total loss. Hadn't even notified my insurer about the purchase yet. I still got paid out, but nobody was happy about it.

Tires are Diamondback. He says they have a 6 year warranty, first 2 years full replacement and roadside support.

What about a lockable tongue box? These don't have one and I was going to ask the guy but if they're not necessary/convenient then I won't bother.

I'm a big believer in conspicuity tape on trailers. Years ago, I was heading south on 15 towing my race rig late evening. I was behind another truck pulling a big enclosed landscape trailer. Got to the rotary at 50 and he gets T boned. The other car never saw the trailer. Flipped the trailer right over.

I put that stuff down the flanks and some extra on the rear. People just don't see trailers. Especially unladen.
I know someone who can help you put LED light strips on it.

You will really like that size. I think you will like the length. I miss my 18’ trailer. I have hauled 80s on my 16 foot trailer they hang off a bit. The length will be spot on.

I love my equipment trailer and would suggest the following that haven't been suggested above:
1. get one set of replacement bearings for the axle to have on hand for trips. Pregrease them and then bag them and put in a tupperware container with some extra gloves.
2. Add a 2" receiver up on the front that you can slide a winch cradle into. This is great for sliding up non-running vehicles.
3. Add some extra lights on the front and rear of the trailer. These are helpful when backing into campsites or loading/working on vehicles in the dark.
4. Get a waterproof enclosure to stick the laminated registration in. These enclosures are usually available at trailer stores. Same thing they use for semitrailers usually. You can use something similar to this as well

Last edited:
I too have a 20ft equipment trailer. I wish mine was at least 22' with dovetail. I have a tongue tool box and a chest on the front of the bed which takes up extra 2'. I like stake pockets more now than I used to. when going on trips I would just to strap everything down on the bed so it wouldn't slide off, Now I built some sides that slide in the pockets and nothing will slide off now. If you haven't invested in a weight distribution hitch I would look at them. Even with small loads it makes pulling these trailers a dream.

What about placement of welded on D rings? Where would you put them if you were having a trailer built to your specs? One or 2 on the front or back? Only along the sides?

Although with these you maybe don't need a bunch on the sides?

If you dont plan on putting a tool box on the deck, One on each corner and 4 more spread out. If you see need more tractor supply sells them and you can always weld them on.

Solid job with the tie downs:
sqyz3lkuoov21.jpg

Not so much
1621008291110-png.59858

What about placement of welded on D rings? Where would you put them if you were having a trailer built to your specs? One or 2 on the front or back? Only along the sides?

Although with these you maybe don't need a bunch on the sides?

I use 2 of those on the front of my trailer they are very handy. And can be moved around depending on your loads. I use them in the front to haul wagons and the sides to haul 40’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom