Alexandria VA Safety Inspection shop recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,
After a 3mth stint in the Capitol we managed to migrate south to Alexandria!
I'm looking for a "good" shop to do the Safety Inspection on my currently Oregon registered 92. Everything works on the old girl but she has gone to the hippy a little and grown some dreads on the drivers seatbelt (two noticeable frays strips)! I'll do a trim job but it wont be totally discreet!
Any help is appreciated.

I don’t know if Va Inspector will even look at the seat belts. Mine will not but I’m out in Winchester.

I had to have a safety inspection done in VA on my white 80 a few years ago (long story...yes, NC registration). Drivers seatbelt was really rough and/or frayed about 1/3 the width of the belt for about 16" of length. Can't miss seeing it. The tire shop near Giant at Gateway said nothing about it, but I'm sure they weren't looking too hard anyway due to the odd nature of my need.

Still have that belt. NC inspectors have never said a word for the 6 years I've owned it. But, I do think it's time to sneak swap it out for the brand new replacement that Sarah's '97 got just before she parked it last year. Maybe steal her Landtank seat extensions, too. It isn't like someone who's 5'2" would miss the extra legroom.

I had to have a safety inspection done in VA on my white 80 a few years ago (long story...yes, NC registration). Drivers seatbelt was really rough and/or frayed about 1/3 the width of the belt for about 16" of length. Can't miss seeing it. The tire shop near Giant at Gateway said nothing about it, but I'm sure they weren't looking too hard anyway due to the odd nature of my need.

Still have that belt. NC inspectors have never said a word for the 6 years I've owned it. But, I do think it's time to sneak swap it out for the brand new replacement that Sarah's '97 got just before she parked it last year. Maybe steal her Landtank seat extensions, too. It isn't like someone who's 5'2" would miss the extra legroom.
Thanks John. I think I'll chance it and see how I go. Good luck with the sneak swap!

the best VA inspection shop I take my truck to is: 9555 Fairfax Blvd, Fairfax, VA 22031
I moved away from this place 15 years ago but with all the experiences I had in different inspection places where they rip me for nothing. I started taking it here again. This shop is frills free and only flag you for serious violations.

Also, avoid any shop which gives you 2$ , 5$ off for inspection. They will flag you for bigger repairs if you take the bait on that 2$, 5% off.

the best VA inspection shop I take my truck to is: 9555 Fairfax Blvd, Fairfax, VA 22031
I moved away from this place 15 years ago but with all the experiences I had in different inspection places where they rip me for nothing. I started taking it here again. This shop is frills free and only flag you for serious violations.

Also, avoid any shop which gives you 2$ , 5$ off for inspection. They will flag you for bigger repairs if you take the bait on that 2$, 5% off.
Thanks pvchaitanya! I'll check them out!

Kinda off topic - but what are the thoughts on live plates (needing to do safety inspections) vs antique plates (no inspection, yearly registration, etc).

I have normal plates on my 90 FJ62 but picked up antique plates for my 76 FJ40. Any real benefits to normal plates?

I just moved from Woodbridge to Springfield and have a good shop out in the dale city area if anyone is interested. Its nice to find a shop that appreciates older cars and aren't looking at you to make a buck.

Kinda off topic - but what are the thoughts on live plates (needing to do safety inspections) vs antique plates (no inspection, yearly registration, etc).

I have normal plates on my 90 FJ62 but picked up antique plates for my 76 FJ40. Any real benefits to normal plates?

I just moved from Woodbridge to Springfield and have a good shop out in the dale city area if anyone is interested. Its nice to find a shop that appreciates older cars and aren't looking at you to make a buck.
I think it would come down to how much of a "daily driver" you want the 90 to be!
https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv289.pdf

If "they" catch you abusing Antique plates, the punishments are not insignificant.
That being said, I do use mine for more than just parades and such, but I always have some sort of reasonable plan in the event something should go sideways. Getting fuel. Testing out the brakes. Running out for parts. Car wash is my next stop. Etc.

Also, be aware that those roadside emission testing stations have the capacity to monitor for Antique plate abuse. I've been told by DEQ that there are many "features" which have been or plan to be implemented in that system.
Further, there's the question of Police plate reading data. A bill to limit the storage of that information to just 30 days did not pass in Richmond earlier this year.

YMMV

If "they" catch you abusing Antique plates, the punishments are not insignificant.
That being said, I do use mine for more than just parades and such, but I always have some sort of reasonable plan in the event something should go sideways. Getting fuel. Testing out the brakes. Running out for parts. Car wash is my next stop. Etc.

Also, be aware that those roadside emission testing stations have the capacity to monitor for Antique plate abuse. I've been told by DEQ that there are many "features" which have been or plan to be implemented in that system.
Further, there's the question of Police plate reading data. A bill to limit the storage of that information to just 30 days did not pass in Richmond earlier this year.

YMMV
I dont anticipate driving either of these old trucks more than once a week or so... I think the main benefit for me is the yearly tax, registration and inspection costs... I have a few cars and they add up. :)

I will do a little more research and figure out which direction i want to go.

The antique plate thing for me was kind of undercut by adding the "Occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence." I think in most cases, you could say you were just driving it around and it wouldn't matter how often (probably not everyday but a couple times a week at least to me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom