The welders thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^^^ @benc - how's the start on the new Invision setup?

I'm running a 350p myself & while the steel/Bernard gun I can dail in easily, when I jump to AL with my Aluma-pro push-pull (the premium aircooled one) - I get dogsh!t looking beads (comparitively). For some $4K of welder & $1600 of gun, this is balls.

I have gotten so salty with the push-pull of the 350p that if possible I jump back to my old Econo-Tig & just walk a cup - it's that frustrating to see how inconsistent my welds were, esp in pulse mode - using the push - pull.

I know it has to be some fine adjustment, as the welds are structural but damn if they aren't dogpile ugly in comparison to anything I TIG or MIG w/ the Bernard gun (used just for steel/SS).

I've got the right gas, the right pusher spools - just push-pull AL is something O've never been paid to learn or cert'd to weld.

I know my LWS hates the multi-metal 350, and have had plenty of traded in - mine's the 'later' generation (heard the early ones were horrible for quality circuitboards, lots failed)?
Both welders weld great with the proper settings. My reason for not liking the 350p was the hot start and crater fill were a pain to turn on and off.
I got it dialed in perfect with hot start and ramp time but there is no easy way to disable the timers, this was especially bad for tacking!
I do tend to run pretty cold and tuning the hot start and ramp time just right can give you a uniform weld start to finish.
Have you set you sup values?
Are you making sure to push on all welds?
How's the moisture in your shop?
What are your sharp arc and arc length?
Do you have you hot start on auto or manual?
One thing I would recommend is getting ahold of your local miller rep, he most likely will come to you and show all the tricks. My local rep is amazing!
One thing I really like about the invision is the 4 weld programs, I can pre set 4 different weld parameter and switch back and forth with the tap of the trigger!
I have a tack parameter , a parameter for cold material, hot material and open corners.

Last edited:
Just found this thread, late to the party :)

Machine make/model: Miller 211 on 240V

Wire/gas: INEFIL .030 ER70S-6, C25

Experience level: Home hobbyist

Bead pic:
008.jpg

012.jpg

Current project:
020.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Fellas,

I've been going through this thread looking at all your different work and just wanted to say it's nice to see what talent can do. I've been welding for over 40 years, most of that time with a Lincoln buss box and lately a mig and never have come close to what you guys are doing. I should of had someone show me how to weld or took a class instead of wasting the time. Thinking about buying a tig and when I do the weld shop ( Miller dealer) will give me free lessons.

You guys should be proud of your work, it's not as easy as some would like to believe.

While I am not a welder, I have been gluing pieces of meal together with molten metal for about 30 years using a Lincoln 225AC buzz box. I finally decided to get something better in another welder with DC capabilities. I tried to get a Lincoln AC225/DC125 buzz box of eBay but the seller would not deliver. For a couple more dollars, I got an old 300AC/300DC Lincoln tombstone welder made in 1986. It was tested by the seller and confirmed to be working so I bought it.
Before starting the unit, I took it apart and cleaned all the dust that was in it - and there was a lot. Lubed the gears and made it presentable again.
Even though it has been used, everything was in good condition and functioning once it was put back together.
Looking forward to many years of using this machine.

Front view without cover
upload_2018-5-19_21-54-9.png

A view of the cooling fan after it had been removed and washed. It was almost black with dust. Evidence of the dust is still there in the image and I did do a better cleanup with a stiff bristle brush and a plastic scraper.
upload_2018-5-19_21-56-35.png

The final view with the covers on and a new 20' paint job
upload_2018-5-19_21-59-1.png

New amp and polarity indicator plates have been ordered. I also made some 1 gauge cables to replace the old ones.
The test welds in AC were much nicer than what I was used to from the AC buzz box.
More testing to come.

Also in my welding tool list is an oxy-acetylene set and a Lincoln 180 MIG welder that I use for thin metal work. Still using flux core wire but will eventually get a gas tank.

Last edited:
Both welders weld great with the proper settings. My reason for not liking the 350p was the hot start and crater fill were a pain to turn on and off.
I got it dialed in perfect with hot start and ramp time but there is no easy way to disable the timers, this was especially bad for tacking!
I do tend to run pretty cold and tuning the hot start and ramp time just right can give you a uniform weld start to finish.
Have you set you sup values?
Are you making sure to push on all welds?
How's the moisture in your shop?
What are your sharp arc and arc length?
Do you have you hot start on auto or manual?
One thing I would recommend is getting ahold of your local miller rep, he most likely will come to you and show all the tricks. My local rep is amazing!
One thing I really like about the invision is the 4 weld programs, I can pre set 4 different weld parameter and switch back and forth with the tap of the trigger!
I have a tack parameter , a parameter for cold material, hot material and open corners.

@benc - wow, thanks as well!

I’d missed your post but had the Tundra on ramps for an oil change today & saw this thread bumped - I’ve yet to get back on my 350p (TBH I walked the cup a couple weeks ago to avoid it) -since I have a TIG here at home too.

I am taking my boat over to my uncle’s dealership for some work & will “unbury” the 350 then in the garage, so I’ll power it up & get my settings & take some pics of what is resulting.

IMG_20180523_163737749_HDR.jpg

I don't weld for a living anymore but I've been working on this party trick a little in my spare time. Not great yet, but coming along. Good cheap practice.

G'Day Fella's,

Here are some images of my main welding equipment.
A WIA (Australian Made) 200Amp MIG welder.
Hot Glue Gun.JPG

And a Cebora (Italian Made) ??? Amp TIG welder.
Hot Glue Gun (2).JPG

The AC/DC transfer on the side, is my addition............ ROCK&ROLL!

These do every thing I want to do and if they don't, the jobs to big for me.

D'oh!
Homer

Constructive criticism please, pointers. Trying to improve, new to MIG welding. I had what I think is excessive splatter, I test my welds by cutting sectioning and polish to look for lack of penetration. I weld some ¼" at a 45˚ angle, an open corner/edge without gusset then beat it with an 8 pound sledge. Bent it over but the weld held firm.

1st pic is a scab plate on a frame, hard to tell in the pic

2nd is the top of the scab where it meets the frame. I didn't quite meet the edge and some undercut?

Toes of the welds, too cold, too hot? Heat affected zone looked good to me, but thats why I'm asking the pros out there

IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0823.JPG

Looks like you're pulling the puddle. Try pulling the puddle, it'll lay in better.

The Miller weld calculator app is great for getting mig settings close. It's not perfect, but it's a good place to start.

:lol: Whoops. Meant to say try pushing.

IMO you're building up too much filler across the middle, that's why it's stood up like that, for the top pic anyway. Could be the wire speed is too fast, you're spending too much time crossing the center in your weave pattern, or you're just going too slow.

Bottom pic looks good from a speed perspective, I'd just focus on your consistency. Try to make the weld bead edges straight as an arrow as you weave back and forth.

IMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG
Getting to play around with a prototype miller machine! Can't say much about it yet but i plan to replace my 2 Lincoln 256 with 2 of these when released.
Crazy smooth and stable arch
All these were done with 0.35 c25.
Typically I would have to run 0.30 to get a good weave but I'm able to do everything on 0.35 now.

when are you gonna be able to say more .?
Projected release date is October so not until then. I do believe the target price is 3k. It's definitely a cool experience being chosen to try it out and offer feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom