The Water Well Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice work! Every earthquake up here rattles the pump around and clouds up the water for a week or so.

@Hojack
Do you ever install any hand pumps? I have thought about it for when the power is down. My grandparents still have the old hand pump from when they didn’t have plumbed water. This was well before my time but my mom remembers using it when she was young. Now it’s just a nice thing to look at in the old pump room now used more as a mud room entering the house.
The progression was from hand pump, to windmill, to the modern electric pump. Love that ranch house.

@Hojack
Do you ever install any hand pumps? I have thought about it for when the power is down. My grandparents still have the old hand pump from when they didn’t have plumbed water. This was well before my time but my mom remembers using it when she was young. Now it’s just a nice thing to look at in the old pump room now used more as a mud room entering the house.
The progression was from hand pump, to windmill, to the modern electric pump. Love that ranch house.
I have a Baker Monitor Handpump on my personal well at home.
1A62DA55-A2F5-4E36-85E1-6D7456F22FE6.jpeg

I’ve installed about a 100 of them for residential, Oregon Dept. of Forestry and US Forest Service Campgrounds.

about 155ft deep cased all the way, pump hung at 125ft. Was on galvanized pipe but changed to plastic at pump failure a few years ago.

E3CC58EC-9399-4D4E-A03F-AAD3FBE1E41A.jpeg

Installation of 4” PVC liner which sleeves the inside of the 6”’steel casing.
91B4F3ED-1439-4626-932F-6749A204C8C4.jpeg

Liner is set deep enough to install the pitless adapter.
8DDBE6ED-C319-4B11-A071-C6E21860D2FC.jpeg

Cut hole with Oxy/ acetylene torch for pitless adapter.
30A796A9-1EFE-4E54-A5E6-9343F81D6CA2.jpeg

Pump hangs on the pitless adapter which allows water is exit below surface and prevent waterline from freezing.
AC922D22-1BEF-43C1-BD91-3FE1F28484C9.jpeg

Competed upgrade with State Well ID tag that allows anybody to pull up log number and see Well construction and any alterations. Because this well was drilled in the 1950s no log exists. This well will now have the stats entered that we took today.

about 155ft deep cased all the way, pump hung at 125ft. Was on galvanized pipe but changed to plastic at pump failure a few years ago.
To prevent shaking or torque on the drop pipe there are torque stops. As far as the cloudiness after earthquakes must be an unstable formation where your getting water. Is the well casing perforated?

Almost everyone in the Anchorage area with a well had cloudy water. As far as I know the casing was not perforated.

Anybody have there own well. Do you know your own well depth & yield, pump HP & gpm?

Depth - 90 FT
GPM - 10, clear as glass
Pump - 1.0HP
Drilled with cable tool method which was pretty awesome to watch. Looked like something from the 1800's.

20160121_015339.jpg

How do you like the Grundfos SQE constant pressure system?
I have no issues with it other than it not holding constant pressure. I usually have the system locked down at 60psi on the Grundfos control panel and the gauge after the tank fluctuates between 50-95 when not pumping, not exactly constant pressure.....According to Grundfos, it is normal for about a 10% fluctuation but I am having much more than 10%. Been this way since new (about 3 years ago). I am not happy with the installation as well. The main line from the tank to my Kinetico whole house system should be parallel to the wall and mine is definitely not parallel to the wall. Where the pipe comes out of the wall (from the well pump) the main line is like 4" from the wall and by the time the line gets down to the horizontal red lever it is like 8" from the wall??????????? Stevie Wonder must have been the installer.

I have no issues with it other than it not holding constant pressure. I usually have the system locked down at 60psi on the Grundfos control panel and the gauge after the tank fluctuates between 50-95 when not pumping, not exactly constant pressure.....According to Grundfos, it is normal for about a 10% fluctuation but I am having much more than 10%. Been this way since new (about 3 years ago). I am not happy with the installation as well. The main line from the tank to my Kinetico whole house system should be parallel to the wall and mine is definitely not parallel to the wall. Where the pipe comes out of the wall (from the well pump) the main line is like 4" from the wall and by the time the line gets down to the horizontal red lever it is like 8" from the wall??????????? Stevie Wonder must have been the installer.
I’d get a larger pressure tank to stop the pressure fluctuations. Do you have a high static water level in the well?

I’d get a larger pressure tank to stop the pressure fluctuations. Do you have a high static water level in the well?
How can I tell? Would be good to know.

Do you have a well report?
Is that something that the well driller should have supplied to me when he completed his work? I can always give him a call and ask for one otherwise.

Is that something that the well driller should have supplied to me when he completed his work? I can always give him a call and ask for one otherwise.
In Oregon they are required on every well drilled. It’s filed through the state of Oregon water resources. I can look up the well ID tag and find everything about that well.

Ok, I will find out and post the info. Thx

E2D875B4-608B-4379-BBD2-EE922AFB2FF7.jpeg

4” Badger flow meter with Inov8 register for a community well system. The meter register has a Verizon signal and sends the info to your computer to keep track of water usage. Very cool technology. Plumbed it in with 4” galvanized pipe and 3” wirsbo. Preparing the installation of the meter.
A73CE928-C96D-410C-831B-D3BAABB1FF8D.jpeg

Lining up the meter so I know where to cut the existing 3” wirsbo.
F155CC83-3B90-4416-BB18-E5679D94DD3D.jpeg

Using our 3” wirsbo gun to expand the pipe and wirsbo ring.
74E01642-16F1-4A5D-AFDF-98A59287C712.jpeg

Finished up install with the remote register to log and send the data.
EEE9FB15-CEC6-4F56-A55F-EBA10A21EC85.jpeg

Thanks for starting this thread. Wells can be a black hole to many of us.

We have a private well at our house in Gardnerville Nevada. It was tested and evaluated by a highly regarded well company when we purchased the property, and all the tests results were good. Unfortunately, the report is at the house, and I'm in SoCal.

I'll post well info when we are in Nevada next week.

I do have a couple of filter and treatment questions if you don't mind?

Our water is a little hard, but not terrible, and since we are on septic, would prefer not to put a lot salt in the system. So no softening. Mineral deposits will buildup if fixtures are not cleaned regularly. We also have some iron and get a little H2s smell when the water has sat in lines. Our neighbor has an Iron Breaker tank in his system. Is this something you can comment on?

Also, we need a new sediment filter. So we are considering a full water treatment upgrade. Do you have a preference in systems and types?

We are thinking to add RO in kitchen only.

Our house, exterior faucets and irrigation are on one supply line.

Thanks

Have had RO system on whole house except external faucets since 1983 and no harm to septic! the amount of salt it puts out is very small. You want whole house for washing machine and bath rooms!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom