Builds The SUBdued GX470 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unless you're going full ARB style it won't protect much from an animal strike. A sleek understated winch mount is my intention on this rig if such a product exists.

Bud built seems like a good deal. Comes powder coated. Would still work with my trail tailor tow hooks as well it seems and has tabs for lights.

Installed a Toyota emblem and trimmed the front bumper.

TOYOTA COROLLA GRILLE EMBLEM 2009 - 2013 HOOD GRILL BLACK CHROME 75301-02010 LE | eBay

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4444.JPG

IMG_4443.JPG

So got my ST Maxx 255/80s and I picked up some 8 hole FJ wheels. Decided on the 8 holes since there are less of them out there and it’s nice to be different. Also these are way more low key than the new TRD offerings. I’m going to paint them. Question is what? I’m leaning toward gunmetal grey.
A72FE47E-FC43-4F65-AA8A-A3EC3DC9623B.png
88268EB3-B244-4AEB-8A28-4DD6CA16BCCB.jpeg

Is Scangauge wireless? or you just ran it along the edge of the headliner?
I ran it up the A pillar and over the headliner. You just need to pull the handle off the A pillar to get enough access. This way you can run the wire behind the side curtain airbag.

For a noob on this, any details on how easy/hard it is, can you get it right to the edges? How does it feel?
Lots of YouTube videos on it. I am a perfectionist and I think it came out well. Nice and tight lines. I’ll post a pic later.

Well I have owned a lot of Toyotas over the years and sold them for various reasons. But now I get to build a dedicated travel rig. Something I have learned from traveling over the years and especially ON PAVED ROADS is to keep your truck as unblingy or as low key as possible. (POLICE love to look out for a flashy rig.)

I modified your quote to match my experience.

I too want to go a stealth route, going to keep my eye on your build. ALSO going to badge and probably re-badge as it will be the wife's daily driver she is a teacher screwing with a teachers Lexus is more appealing than screwing with a teachers Toyota. I am going to straight swap the grille to something simpler, and probably just plastidip the chrome black.

I modified your quote to match my experience.

I too want to go a stealth route, going to keep my eye on your build. ALSO going to badge and probably re-badge as it will be the wife's daily driver she is a teacher screwing with a teachers Lexus is more appealing than screwing with a teachers Toyota. I am going to straight swap the grille to something simpler, and probably just plastidip the chrome black.
Keep me posted on what you do with your grill. People still identify this as a Lexus... I have asked even non-car people and most are confused. But some still think it’s a Lexus. I’m hoping the wheels help.

D71388F0-38BD-43A4-963D-6B7E442F076C.jpeg
11349E8A-E3E4-4A85-BB8B-56C6DE66E1BE.jpeg

Preserving the FJ 8 hole wheels brushed rim edge. Figures this will help keep the wheels looking better longer. If I painted all the way to the edge any little chip would really show.

Last edited:
42BD204C-DA60-466F-89A6-3889A332D6D6.jpeg
Wheels and tires on...

That looks nice! I like the grey wheels.

4DD2FB8F-DBA4-47E6-8E30-9A2737A71851.jpeg
255/80/17 St Maxx on FJ 8 hole wheels. Painted. No lift. Front bumper trimmed no other rubbing.

Those wheels look great! I'm between those, Trails, or Pro's with that tire size or 75. Just trying to make decisions. Haha

Those wheels look great! I'm between those, Trails, or Pro's with that tire size or 75. Just trying to make decisions. Haha
I went through all the same options. I liked the rarity and low key look of the 8 holes. Personally I think the 80 series tired are worth it over the 75. Extra inch is great and fits easily.

IMG_4346.jpg
IMG_2925.JPG
IMG_8876.JPG
IMG_3350.JPG

Got to say this little mod just looks so nice. It was worth the $150. You can plan on destroying your old trim. The rear glass is simple just pop the C pillar interior trim and rear door weather-stripping and take a 10mm deep socket and loosen the lower glass bolt this will give you access to the clip holding the corner trim in. Then take a flat head and a rag and pop it up from the bottom working front to back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom