Builds The SUBdued GX470 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Current.
F4A55A84-C865-4B4B-B100-B654903FDECE.jpeg

Well I have owned a lot of Toyotas over the years and sold them for various reasons. But now I get to build a dedicated travel rig. Something I have learned from traveling over the years and especially in other countries is to keep your truck as unblingy or as low key as possible. (MX police love to look out for a flashy rig.)

Found a 2008 GX (non-KDSS0 with 72k miles on it, only dealer maintained, for a good price (I think...) and have just started.

So this will be a build to actually tone down the GX and make it a capable travel/adventure rig.

5705D60B-CD21-4DB8-9256-CBE6632E9F99.jpeg

E21E1212-E6F2-4FFA-9693-635354F98A3B.jpeg

Last edited:
So first up was getting rid of as much chrome as possible...

IMG_4228 2.JPG
IMG_4216.JPG

This is the after of wrapping the chrome and swapping a Prado 120 rear badge on.
IMG_4114.jpg
IMG_2541.JPG

Pulled the center caps off the wheels as well for now until new wheels and tires are acquired.

IMG_5290.JPG

Did aux air injection pump bypass for the v8. I have an 08' so this was a right away item to me. For those that need the starter wire connection this is for future reference of where to tap the relay.
IMG_0385.JPG

You will see my bike rack in many of my pics because it lives on the back of my truck. This is the 1UP rack, made in the USA and the best hitch rack you can get in my opinion after using many others over the years.
IMG_1395.JPG

Got to say these are handy. Commandstrips this is the grey model for exterior use. Perfect to hang items in the back of the truck. Attaches easily anywhere there is hard plastic inside. Also my Lexus first aid kit had velcro on the back from the factory and I found you can stick it anywhere the headliner fabric is.

IMG_5399.JPG
IMG_3435.JPG

Headliner badges seem all the rage these days... So had to add a few I have collected from travels.
IMG_4252.JPG

Also made sure to mount my scanguage II above the rearview mirror. Just used velcro and it holds perfectly to the headliner like this.

Last edited:
Did aux air injection pump bypass for the v8. I have an 08' so this was a right away item to me. For those that need the starter wire connection this is for future reference of where to tap the relay. View attachment 1726340

This is the first I’m reading of this... never heard of it till now. Seems like a real pricey thing to have to repair. So this bypasses the broken aux air, but why do it ahead of time before it fails? And what makes an ‘08 especially vulnerable?

You will see my bike rack in many of my pics because it lives on the back of my truck. This is the 1UP rack, made in the USA and the best hitch rack you can get in my opinion after using many others over the years. View attachment 1726345

This is hands down the best bike rack available. I LOVE mine. I’ve owned several hitch racks as well and the 1UP rules them all. I love how stable and sturdy it is. When I had a Yakima Holdup my bike looked like it was gonna go flying off it wobbled so much!

I think I may paint my 1UP for some custom flair, as I’ve got an add-on that has some corrosion from the east coast weather, so why not? Will report back if I actually decide to do it.

This is the first I’m reading of this... never heard of it till now. Seems like a real pricey thing to have to repair. So this bypasses the broken aux air, but why do it ahead of time before it fails? And what makes an ‘08 especially vulnerable?

This is hands down the best bike rack available. I LOVE mine. I’ve owned several hitch racks as well and the 1UP rules them all. I love how stable and sturdy it is. When I had a Yakima Holdup my bike looked like it was gonna go flying off it wobbled so much!

I think I may paint my 1UP for some custom flair, as I’ve got an add-on that has some corrosion from the east coast weather, so why not? Will report back if I actually decide to do it.

Read up on the AIP failures here.. 06/07 Air Induction Pump Failure & Bypass

As far as an 08 really it is 06 and up that have this issue. To me I just hate CEL's so I am always looking to prevent throwing codes. Peace of mind.

Would love to see a painted 1UP! Since my truck is silver it works fine for me. But these are amazing bike racks. I have had other racks where on back forest roads I actually lost a bike of the back...

Did the loft upgrade. Stole this from the 100 series guys. Simple 3' closet shelf and some sturdy straps of your choice. Its great for soft storage items.
IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_5306.JPG
IMG_5740.JPG

Thanks to @reevesci at Trail-Tailor.com for my new front tow hooks. Very simple install loosen a few bolts on the radiator, pull the factory skid off, grab a 1/2" drill bit to open two bolt holes up and you have a great D-ring mount.

So would you guys cut off the factory tie down locations? Or keep them?

IMG_4366.JPG
IMG_4728.JPG
IMG_5522.JPG

So would you guys cut off the factory tie down locations? Or keep them?

View attachment 1731303
I would leave them- they don't seem like they would interfere with a shackle during pulling. Mine is an '09 and I'm glad to see that the lower factory tie downs don't interfere with the tow hooks and I won't have to cut them off.

It looks like I will finally be able to install my tow hooks next week since I have some free time and will also be replacing a leaky radiator. Do you happen to know what the thread and lengths of the bolts are (looks like they are M12?)?

I would leave them- they don't seem like they would interfere with a shackle during pulling. Mine is an '09 and I'm glad to see that the lower factory tie downs don't interfere with the tow hooks and I won't have to cut them off.

It looks like I will finally be able to install my tow hooks next week since I have some free time and will also be replacing a leaky radiator. Do you happen to know what the thread and lengths of the bolts are (looks like they are M12?)?

I don’t. Sorry I just used the bolt kit from trail tailor. I’m sure @reevesci could provide the specs on the bolts.

Read up on the AIP failures here.. 06/07 Air Induction Pump Failure & Bypass

As far as an 08 really it is 06 and up that have this issue. To me I just hate CEL's so I am always looking to prevent throwing codes. Peace of mind.

Would love to see a painted 1UP! Since my truck is silver it works fine for me. But these are amazing bike racks. I have had other racks where on back forest roads I actually lost a bike of the back...
Like your stealth approach...been to Mexico a number of times and agree that staying under the visual radar is a good option. I have the 1up too...fantastic rack. Read the whole air pump thread and conflicted on a preemptive strike vs wait to fail.

Like your stealth approach...been to Mexico a number of times and agree that staying under the visual radar is a good option. I have the 1up too...fantastic rack. Read the whole air pump thread and conflicted on a preemptive strike vs wait to fail.
I went with preemptive. I just like to prevent issues. I have found that with trucks if it’s a common issue it will happen to me. :) I’m torn on what to do about a front bumper. Low key is so good for travel. But I have also seen where a full coverage front bumper can save you with animal strikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom