The Retired Tank... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Photo directly above in post #14 shows right rear spring alignment clamp is in "pinch bound" condition, and left rear spring alignment clamp is loose bound for good spring movement, lets leafs glide on each other as they should for a smoother ride. Yellow spring bushings are a pure indication the bushings are not graphite impregnated, no internal lubrication installed. Graphite is black, so bushing would be black. The yellow bushings will not tolerate lubricants, will absorb lubricanrts, then turn soft and begin erosion. Installing the yellow bushing dry will create very squeaky springs.
Thanks. So moving forward I will be looking for black graphite bushings on the new suspension.
After the springs and bushings, should I be looking to salvage and reuse everything that's not visibly damaged?
In terms of the pinch vs loose clamps, would you agree the info in this vid?

Just a couple things from your pics, not suggesting addressing these will cure all your ills but just looking at the obvious discrepancies (along with others already pointed out):

this indicates body components out of alignment a bit, which could point to body mounts askew
View attachment 3225368

this is different than the other three on the rear spring packs, maybe causing pinching and non-settling of that spring pack - but that one and the ones on the front packs look like what’s on my ‘63 so maybe the others are replacements?
View attachment 3225367

Nice looking rig, should get lots of mileage from it!
Thanks, I appreciate it. It seems all my suspension springs have their own "personality".

All 4 spring packs, none are the same, take em all off, separate, clean and rebuild spring packs that match from what you got there. The right front fender has a bit of a janky bend/tilt to it and the right rear corner of bed indicates the jump or hard landing theory. IMO correct spring packs and go from there. Nice truck overall.
Cheers. I think I might completely replace them anew, as many of the leaves are flat, worn or missing, so I can't be sure of consistent age or quality throughout the set. Do people tend to buy single leaves second hand? Wondering if it's worth me sticking them online for someone to reuse.

The fender to hood off-set in Middlecalf's image looks like the frame is slightly torqued by that rear left spring. To me it looks compressed by that clamp. Take it off and see what happens.
Good idea until they all get replaced. Can I simply unscrew the clamp or will that shoot it off and give me hurty?

Looks to me like somebody was jumping too many dunes and had a hard landing

The springs were taken apart poly bushings put in … new unbolts used on a few

Messed up the number of leaves in the pack … maybe even had a few broken leaves

Bolted it all back together tight before lining it up well … then over tightened the shackles even it looks like on at least one

If you notice the spring pack
On Dr side has more leaves … the rears are different spring packs even

My quick observation

Btw it is still a great looking truck … wondering what your trim code says on your data plate

The trim code is KC81. I have seen the thread looking for trims and other numbers so I will post there once I know the truck a bit better, in case I learn a bit more of its history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom