The Retired Tank... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
... that is the name of my newly purchased FJ45 pictured below. I have been on this website a number of times but now feel I have the badge needed to join up.
I have always wanted one of the old cruisers, but I am willing to admit I know F(J) all about automotive restoration, or even heavy maintenance. So, while I will aim to be as independent as I can, I am hoping the older heads can nudge me along with specific info I can't find online. I also don't have any friends or family that are into cars, so I'm all alone out there.

Now, while the "tank" is in decent condition, it needs plenty of work as its maintenance has been neglected for some time. I'm capable of changing all the fluids etc at least to get her smelling a bit better, and will inevitably post engine photos etc in other threads, but just for now...

I HAVE ONE QUESTION FOR THOSE THAT KNOW THINGS... As you can see from the photos, there is a poor lateral alignment. The front left sits higher than the front right and the rear right sits higher than the rear left. This could be a bent chassis I know, but the suspension is also uneven (detailed below), so I will supply you with photos and all the relevant factors I am aware of (just ask if there is anything else) for you to figure out which it is.

Factors suggesting chassis misalignment:
- Visual misalignment is significant
- Passenger door has minor issues opening and closing

Factors suggesting chassis fine:
- Doesn't pull to the side when driving
- Doesn't crab walk
- There is one suspension spring less on the rear left than rear right, and the front right suspension seems flatter than the front left, which could both be congruent with the higher rear right and front left. [Having said that, I do know suspension can be affected by chassis damage.] I do not know why there is a spring missing from the rear right.
- No visible chassis damage or bending (but I'm a novice so maybe there are tricks to figuring that out that I haven't learnt)

Just to provide as much info as I can, the front left sits 2.5cm or 1 inch higher than the front right, and the rear right sits 3.5cm or 1.4 inches higher than the rear left.

I will attach some as many relevant photos for you to have a look at too. Thanks for any advice given.

P.S. I have also never been a member of any forums so if I'm supposed to be posting elsewhere, just let me know.

IMG_20230117_142001_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230117_141705_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230117_141928_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230117_142226_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230117_142544_HDR.jpg

I am not an expert on suspension issues, but if you are confident the frame is straight and true, then start with a new suspension kit from Manafre, JT Outfitters, or someone like that. It looks like a case of worn out springs to me. Up front you can loosen some of the bolts in the front clip and the bottom of the front bib and wiggle stuff around and retighten. I have zero experience with pickup beds, though.

Looks to me like somebody was jumping too many dunes and had a hard landing

The springs were taken apart poly bushings put in … new unbolts used on a few

Messed up the number of leaves in the pack … maybe even had a few broken leaves

Bolted it all back together tight before lining it up well … then over tightened the shackles even it looks like on at least one

If you notice the spring pack
On Dr side has more leaves … the rears are different spring packs even

My quick observation

Btw it is still a great looking truck … wondering what your trim code says on your data plate

Congratulations on acquiring your first FJ45. I say this for a reason. You will likely own more now that the "sickness" has started.

As JohnnyC states, your leaf springs have been assembled using a jumble of parts and this is most likely the reason why it is leaning on the various sides. Here in Africa that is par for course.

I'm assuming you are Middle East/Gulf based given the architecture, as such I would approach your nearest ARB/Old Man Emu stockist and authorised fitment centre and have them replace the hodgepodge of springs and suspension components under your Cruiser. That should get it much closer to level, riding better and safer than now.

There are a good few in that part of the world -

Screenshot_20230121_153852_Firefox.jpg

Both the left side spring packs look tampered with or damaged. The rear one has a non-factor clamp in the wrong place which might be compressing the leaf spring and causing that left rear droop. The front looks like it has a broken spring clamp.

I am not an expert on suspension issues, but if you are confident the frame is straight and true, then start with a new suspension kit from Manafre, JT Outfitters, or someone like that. It looks like a case of worn out springs to me. Up front you can loosen some of the bolts in the front clip and the bottom of the front bib and wiggle stuff around and retighten. I have zero experience with pickup beds, though.
Thanks for that. Can you tell me, is there a particular size or style that is suited to these trucks? I assume there are multiple brands that I could choose, so what is it that would tell me a spring would fit my FJ45? I could ask a pro in the shop, but I'm trying to learn about this all the right way. Thanks.

Looks to me like somebody was jumping too many dunes and had a hard landing

The springs were taken apart poly bushings put in … new unbolts used on a few

Messed up the number of leaves in the pack … maybe even had a few broken leaves

Bolted it all back together tight before lining it up well … then over tightened the shackles even it looks like on at least one

If you notice the spring pack
On Dr side has more leaves … the rears are different spring packs even

My quick observation

Btw it is still a great looking truck … wondering what your trim code says on your data plate

Thank you for all that. Do you reckon all that would be enough to have the truck as wonky as it is without chassis damage?
What do you think should be there instead of the poly bushings?
Are U bolts not supposed to be on the old cruisers?
Sorry for all the questions.
I'm not with my truck right now, but I'll let you know the trim code in a couple of days.

Congratulations on acquiring your first FJ45. I say this for a reason. You will likely own more now that the "sickness" has started.

As JohnnyC states, your leaf springs have been assembled using a jumble of parts and this is most likely the reason why it is leaning on the various sides. Here in Africa that is par for course.

I'm assuming you are Middle East/Gulf based given the architecture, as such I would approach your nearest ARB/Old Man Emu stockist and authorised fitment centre and have them replace the hodgepodge of springs and suspension components under your Cruiser. That should get it much closer to level, riding better and safer than now.

There are a good few in that part of the world -

View attachment 3225251
Thank you for the input. The sickness started a while back really, but it's just now I'm showing the symptoms!
In terms of this habit of ours', we can pour a lot of money into it. Now that I'm at the start, I want to be wise from the beginning. So is there any sense in seeking out second hand suspension in good condition? Or is that something I should ALWAYS buy new? If I could, would the suspension on modern day LC 70 series fit the same?

Both the left side spring packs look tampered with or damaged. The rear one has a non-factor clamp in the wrong place which might be compressing the leaf spring and causing that left rear droop. The front looks like it has a broken spring clamp.
Thank for having a look. In your opinion, is that enough to cause this degree of a slant? Would you be worried about any hidden chassis damage?

Thank you for all that. Do you reckon all that would be enough to have the truck as wonky as it is without chassis damage?
What do you think should be there instead of the poly bushings?
Are U bolts not supposed to be on the old cruisers?
Sorry for all the questions.
I'm not with my truck right now, but I'll let you know the trim code in a couple of days.

I flipped mine on highway going 65mph with minimal damage

If your not putting it on frame machine your just guessing it’s good

Poly is fine or oem rubber … doesn’t matter … the point being is it was changed out for a reason … they needed to get removed in order to repair the suspension

U bolts are supposed to be there … some were replaced… a sign that they needed to do spring repair or replacement

U need to get a suspension for an fj45

Get a good set like OME

Get actual frame measurements checked

Last edited:
Just a couple things from your pics, not suggesting addressing these will cure all your ills but just looking at the obvious discrepancies (along with others already pointed out):

this indicates body components out of alignment a bit, which could point to body mounts askew
ED218E87-DB5A-474A-B207-5520A3E8F8A1.jpeg

this is different than the other three on the rear spring packs, maybe causing pinching and non-settling of that spring pack - but that one and the ones on the front packs look like what’s on my ‘63 so maybe the others are replacements?
9412CB71-4007-4D11-8411-76D1EDE9C40C.jpeg

Nice looking rig, should get lots of mileage from it!

Photo directly above in post #14 shows right rear spring alignment clamp is in "pinch bound" condition, and left rear spring alignment clamp is loose bound for good spring movement, lets leafs glide on each other as they should for a smoother ride. Yellow spring bushings are a pure indication the bushings are not graphite impregnated, no internal lubrication installed. Graphite is black, so bushing would be black. The yellow bushings will not tolerate lubricants, will absorb lubricanrts, then turn soft and begin erosion. Installing the yellow bushing dry will create very squeaky springs.

Thanks for that. Can you tell me, is there a particular size or style that is suited to these trucks? I assume there are multiple brands that I could choose, so what is it that would tell me a spring would fit my FJ45? I could ask a pro in the shop, but I'm trying to learn about this all the right way. Thanks.
I have a 3 inch lift I bought in 2002 from Manafre that works for me. Use a new suspension, because you will probably never want to sell this truck. It is a sickness.

All 4 spring packs, none are the same, take em all off, separate, clean and rebuild spring packs that match from what you got there. The right front fender has a bit of a janky bend/tilt to it and the right rear corner of bed indicates the jump or hard landing theory. IMO correct spring packs and go from there. Nice truck overall.

The fender to hood off-set in Middlecalf's image looks like the frame is slightly torqued by that rear left spring. To me it looks compressed by that clamp. Take it off and see what happens.

Thank you for the input. The sickness started a while back really, but it's just now I'm showing the symptoms!
In terms of this habit of ours', we can pour a lot of money into it. Now that I'm at the start, I want to be wise from the beginning. So is there any sense in seeking out second hand suspension in good condition? Or is that something I should ALWAYS buy new? If I could, would the suspension on modern day LC 70 series fit the same?
Happy to help. As for the spending part, it's ok, you could be blowing money on worse things.

As the others have stated, I would only buy new. Used suspensions are at best almost 40 years old and you cannot visually inspect the true condition of the blades.

As for the LC70 components, they use coils up front and the rears are too long (eye to eye).

Just a couple things from your pics, not suggesting addressing these will cure all your ills but just looking at the obvious discrepancies (along with others already pointed out):

this indicates body components out of alignment a bit, which could point to body mounts askew
View attachment 3225368

this is different than the other three on the rear spring packs, maybe causing pinching and non-settling of that spring pack - but that one and the ones on the front packs look like what’s on my ‘63 so maybe the others are replacements?
View attachment 3225367

Nice looking rig, should get lots of mileage from it!
Cheers. I had noticed things like that, but wasn't sure if it was enough to cause this much of a slant. It sounds from what you and the others are saying though that it could be the only reason. I'll post back on this page once I've sorted it. Thank for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom