The plan (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm getting close to putting my 40 back together. The suspension has been keeping me awake at night. For some reason I didn't put nearly as much research into this part of things as I did others. At any rate I've been searching and reading and think I have a plan. But I would like a sanity check.

The problem is after the SOA my rig is way to high.

The first problem I identified is the addition of helper springs in the leafs.
hlpr.jpg

Here is my attempt to show the arch of the springs. This without the trans & t-case installed. There will also be a HFS bumper and 8274 winch.
front_sprng_arch.jpg
rear_sprng_arch.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to shorten the front fixed spring hanger but there is a celrance issue with the steering gear box.
frnt_shkl.jpg
PS_shkl_clear.jpg

So my plan is to
1) remove the helper springs
2) move the shackle side spring hangers in
3) remove additional leafs as required

I really don't know what to do with the front fixed spring hanger situation other than live with it.

Does this sound like it will work? I really would like a critique, good or bad.

umm well, you can cut that sh#t off and put some of these on your front

DSC02460.JPG

from proffits

your caster is going to be all jacked anyway if you move your rear mounts

do it once do it right do it low

I may be mistaken but I think that SR kit is suppossed to give you a couple inches of lift alone. Bustanutley got the right idea.

Those are the exact hangers I'd like to use. I just don't see enough clerance with the PS gear box.

Those are long shackles. Get some shorter ones.

How much "too tall" is it?

I would put the front of the front spring on the frame as bustanutley showed, then put the top of the reverse shackle mount through the frame- eliminate the drop from the frame. For the rear, remove the helper spring, and shorten the shackle.

Good luck!

rusty_tlc said:
Those are the exact hangers I'd like to use. I just don't see enough clerance with the PS gear box.

Is there any way you could move the box back a little bit, or maybe mount it more level with the frame?

Other leaves were removed to put the Helper spring in.

stock cruiser is a 6 pack (sometimes 5 sometimes 7) I would be tempted to get a set of stock springs...

Also.. the military wrap goes on the frame end, not the shackle end..

and lose the funny Shackle reversal..

I know it is a lot of work but I would move your box anyway, level with the frame, this will make for much better steering geometry. here are some pics for reference on what my junk looks like.

steer.JPG

steer2.JPG

you can see that my drag link and tie rod are completely parallel with each other (no bump steer. Also my box is level with the frame out of harms way.

Oh and I know that I got a freaking ps leak. Stupid thing just started leaking the other day somewhere around my cooler, need to take a gander.

Last edited:
Mace said:
Other leaves were removed to put the Helper spring in.

stock cruiser is a 6 pack (sometimes 5 sometimes 7) I would be tempted to get a set of stock springs...

Also.. the military wrap goes on the frame end, not the shackle end..

and lose the funny Shackle reversal..
I have the original springs that were removed, just need to figure out what goes where. Any help on that?

bustanutley said:
I know it is a lot of work but I would move your box anyway, level with the frame, this will make for much better steering geometry. ....
:doh: I just installed the steering box. What you say makes sense so I'll look at what it would take to move it tonight.

I'd flip the front hangers from side to side and sink the shackle end into the frame, doing it this way puts you only about .5" above stock with the steering correction kit you have .I've had one of mine like that for years it works great.I have never had any issues with the so-called rockfinders but I run 35's and flip the front springs as well .The original springs should have two different arcs , the one with less arc goes in the front .

MandMAutomotive said:
Only been here a couple of days, but it sounds like you need a hy-steer kit.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=563058

Here is some search results I found. I was told SOA needs hy-steer and PS

HTH

John

If you look at the pictures you can see my draglink, it is above the springs. That is Hysteer.
SOA can be done without converting to Hysteer but you wind up with the tie rod running at an extreme angle which causes bump steer. In addition you leaving your draglink below the axle exposed to rocks.
You don't need PS with a SOA, but SOA usually implies larger tires which definatly make PS a requirment, unless you have Popeye arms like Flexing 40. He has a SOA and runs 36" tires with no PS, welded rear and lockrite front. Don't piss him off. :D

click on my link below to see some pics of what i have done hehe

camcruiser13 said:
click on my link below to see some pics of what i have done hehe
Nice work!
It looks like you used the BTB Products adaptor plate, is that correct?

That was a mistake.
I called Proffitts Cruisers, they have kit that sells for $40, includes the hangers and through frame sleeves.

They also have a way nicer Sag PS mounting bracket for $65.

The problem? Explaining to :princess: why I'm grinding off the PS plate I just bought and replacing it. :doh:

This will require much thought. I'm still open to suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom