The OFFICIAL clunk/thunk driveshaft thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IIRC you can engage the CDL in 1st and 2nd when in 4hi, but once the vehicle shifts up to 3rd it disengages.

Should automatically engage in 4lo.

For the heck of it I’m going to engage mine before I go to work today as I have zero clunk when cold, after driving and warming up is when it starts.

Has to be something that is warming up, I just hope it’s not my transmission or TC.

Well I’ll be a monkeys uncle!

I went out and filled up my gas tank, got home and shifted it into 1st, engaged CDL and back and forth to reverse and NO clunk. Guess that means most of my play is in the TC/Ctr Diff?
damn, sounds like an expensive fix. mine clunks after its warmed up too.

So my new to me 06 had zero driveline clunk. When I brought it in for my service I asked the mechanic to grease the driveshaft/spiders as preventative maintenance. Ever since then I have a very pronounced clunk. Does that mean that I am likely over-greased? What's the best thing to do here, unscrew the zerks to release the extra grease?

So I've lubed all the joints up until fresh grease came out. Now P to R there is barely any clunk, but P to D or N to D it's worse than ever. What would cause it to get worse only going into D? Also should note the truck didnt start doing this until about 600 miles after I bought it (a few weeks ago)

Well, if you dig a bit some report having to replace the rear control arms, not sure if all five or just uppers or lowers. Others replace front flanges with OEM front reman axles.

I would check your front drive flanges, often there is slight free play from the front axles and the splines of that flange. It’s easy to see once the dust cap is removed. You’ll need to jack up a front wheel and just rotate it back and forth a bit and you’ll see if there is any free play.

Better yet, have a “TRUSTED” individual duplicate your shifting and you get under the truck and look, feel and listen! You may get lucky.

Good luck man, sorry it got worse.

I had the clunk when going from P to D and R that developed right after buying it and driving the truck from GA to FL.

I lubed the hell out of all the zerks with lucas red and now it's good when going P to R, but just as loud when going to D (it's loud you can definitely hear it both inside and outside) Sound seems to come from the front when going into drive. Should I try relubing the slip yokes with moly grease?

When you say drive shaft should not move when you try to spin it that means vehicle in park, and when I physically try to spin it it doesn't move an inch?

Here was the source of mine.

I had the clunk when going from P to D and R that developed right after buying it and driving the truck from GA to FL.

I lubed the hell out of all the zerks with lucas red and now it's good when going P to R, but just as loud when going to D (it's loud you can definitely hear it both inside and outside) Sound seems to come from the front when going into drive. Should I try relubing the slip yokes with moly grease?

When you say drive shaft should not move when you try to spin it that means vehicle in park, and when I physically try to spin it it doesn't move an inch?
D-N-R clunk is most often associated with wear in the front wheel hub flange and axle of front drive shaft.
Second most common is if front differential bushing worn out.
Propeller shaft slide yoke clunk is associated with letting off the gas pedal while driving down the road, then accelerating again without stopping. You'll get a clunk as you let off and again as you hit the gas.
Others may be CV's of front drive shaft worn out.
Ball joints
LCA bushings

Worn out front hub flange and or axle.

First the title of this thread is incorrectly name "driveshaft clunk". This thread actually deals primarily with the propeller shaft cluck of slide yoke.
So, safe to say, if you (I) have D-N-R clunk as well as getting on/off gas at speed clunk ... it's likely a multitude of things that need attention?

Yes, which is usually the case with our ageing fleet.

Number one under-maintain area I work on, is front wheel bearings. Neglecting them cause more expensive repairs of the front drive shafts yielding D-N-R clunk. What happens is the hub flange spline/teeth wear out needlessly. Also the axle of front drive shaft splines/teeth wear out needlessly. Wheel bearing require servicing every 30K miles. This is either done improperly or not at all in every 100 series I've seen.

Good used axle of front drive shaft

Hub flange, about to fail.

New hub flange.

Propeller shaft clunk:
If slide yokes neglected it may wear out the splines of the slide yoke of propeller shafts. Then you'll chase the clunk with frequent lubes of slide yokes.

So often someone buy a 20 years series 100 w/100, 200 or K miles. They see the service history is great and they just drive. They'll be unaware that Toyota puts out a maintenance schedule. That ever 5K miles something needs servicing, which is mostly fluids/lubes.

I just inspected a very highly serviced 06LC w/200K. With 40 plus service events at one Toyota Dealership over the years. Service history shows Lube, Oil & filter every 5K miles, great right! Yet above the spiders and propeller shafts slide yokes, it's as dry as the Sahara. No old built up grease on undercarriage, from being slug above the 6 grease zerks. Now, unless someone took the time to clean all the old grease as it came out of the spiders (AKA, U-joints) and sliders yoke each lubing, it obviously has not be lubed.

All rubber gets old and dry, in need of refreshing. This includes engine & brake hoses and suspension bushings.

Front drive shaft CV bearings do wear out. They'll click mostly in turns.

Inspect, inspect, inspect.

There is a wealth of information in "MUD". So much you can diagnose and fix any issue that may come up. The trick is to get the rig's maintenance up to date. Then enjoy, for a million miles!

Once these are base line, bring back to factory spec. They don't clunk and are a please to drive. Keep maintained, and they're reliable and can run on the road or trail as long as you do the up keep.

I need to look at mine...mine only thunks if I let off gas while on highway and then push it back down after coasting a bit... guy in my club that has his own Lexus Toyota shop says it is the slip yoke. So going to try and grease mine up too....

Can they be greased TOO MUCH like some other items and cause it to form a vacuum and lock it up....like hubs will do if you put too much in them? Guessing the zerk is right on the yoke?
did you ever resolve the thud? i have an 05 LC100 that I just got and it has the same problem (thud/clank when I let off and then get on the gas). I had the dealer replace the U joints and it did nothing...

did you ever resolve the thud? i have an 05 LC100 that I just got and it has the same problem (thud/clank when I let off and then get on the gas). I had the dealer replace the U joints and it did nothing...

grease the drive shafts and I'd bet it will go away. Read further up in this thread

grease the drive shafts and I'd bet it will go away. Read further up in this thread
The dealer greased the drive shafts and nothing changed. I found one post saying the fix is to heavy grease through the zerk fitting but that is the only other post ive found with an actual fix. Are there other posts deep in here with fixes?
My drive shaft has been greased and U joints replaced with no fix. Still makes the thud/clink when I coast and then get on the gas...Does anyone know a good NYC mechanic that works on the LC100?

Last edited:
The dealer greased the drive shafts and nothing changed. I found one post saying the fix is to heavy grease through the zerk fitting but that is the only other post ive found with an actual fix. Are there other posts deep in here with fixes?
My drive shaft has been greased and U joints replaced with no fix. Still makes the thud/clink when I coast and then get on the gas...Does anyone know a good NYC mechanic that works on the LC100?
I live in north jersey. Got the same problem. I replace all my fluids, greased everything, still got that sound. I have a feeling it’s the transfer case. It doesn’t really bother me any more.

Just enjoy the clunk, the next model is code named Toyota Note

I live in north jersey. Got the same problem. I replace all my fluids, greased everything, still got that sound. I have a feeling it’s the transfer case. It doesn’t really bother me any more.
I just called Jose whos name I got from the list of people who know how to work on the LC100.
José Riveria
josefj40@msn.com
PH: 973.943.1705
He is in NJ
3 Cleveland St
Belleville, NJ 07109
I am going to take it to him. We spoke just now and he seemed to think it may be a transfer case issue. If he can fix It I will let you know what he does and how much. Really hoping I can get to the bottom of this.

I just called Jose whos name I got from the list of people who know how to work on the LC100.
José Riveria
josefj40@msn.com
PH: 973.943.1705
He is in NJ
3 Cleveland St
Belleville, NJ 07109
I am going to take it to him. We spoke just now and he seemed to think it may be a transfer case issue. If he can fix It I will let you know what he does and how much. Really hoping I can get to the bottom of this.
Thank you man. Good luck and keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom