The "Official" 1HZ/1HD-T/1HD-FT Airbox/Intake Mod Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1KZ question here guys, but I suspect it is very similar to your airbox setup. I recently added a generic Safari-style snorkel. I don't plan to go deep water driving with the vehicle (nothing deeper than headlights), so I was wondering it I should seal up the airbox drain valve (rubber valve at the bottom of the airbox).

Wouldn't the vehicle shut off once the alternator/fuel pump wiring/connectors etc are submerged long before the water reaches the level of the airbox?

Is the valve helpful if driving with a front-facing snorkel in the torrential rain that we sometimes get in Jamaica? I know the snorkel head is designed to separate off the majority of water, but I'm just wondering what would be my better bet.

What I can say though is the vehicle throttle is a lot more responsive with the snorkel, I assume because I am not almost always heat-soaked like I was before.

View attachment 2606722

thought I would share my airbox, it’s a volant system meant for a JK jeep. 3.5” to 3” 45 degree elbow then just a 90 degree 3” elbow to the turbo. Lines up with the hole in the fender, has an additional inlet (not sure what for, Jeep thing) I had to cut off and block. Runs great with it!
which model # is this unit?

Thought I’d post up the box I had made up for my 1HDT. 4” in & out. 4” to 3” elbow at my GTurbo. ~2006 Duramax cartridge filter.

6AC63E8D-493E-4351-A15E-B996DF4B83D2.jpeg

2832B379-10CA-48F7-B72D-47EE8C0CED3F.jpeg

9539B994-D769-4B50-812C-A40299BC074B.jpeg

5F591F34-0AB8-4316-8414-8B2607B8598D.jpeg

Overall it came out alright. A few things that I’d tweak slightly next time. I asked for Satin powder coat but got this shiny basterd instead. Lol. At least dirt won’t stick to it.

That turbo-IC inlet pipe looks like it sits up very tall, how much clearance does the hood have?

Airbox turned out great, very tidy engine bay!

That turbo-IC inlet pipe looks like it sits up very tall, how much clearance does the hood have?

The AC normally sits right underneath that pipe. I’m sure PDI had a reason but I still think that pipe could have been routed better 😂. I know Mine on both sides of the engine bay hit the top liner of the hood

Hood isn’t on yet. Lol. Neither is AC. Yeah, it’s a PDI intercooler. It used to snake around the stock air box pipe to the turbo that sits much higher.

Eventually I’ll replace that piece with something that fits better.

The AC normally sits right underneath that pipe. I’m sure PDI had a reason but I still think that pipe could have been routed better 😂. I know Mine on both sides of the engine bay hit the top liner of the hood

I know that I had that pipe backwards for a while and it made it sit higher. I realized my mistake, switched it around and it sits in better now.

Little bit of cutting of the lid, a 90 degree 3.5” to 3” silicon joiner and from memory a 3” to 2.5” silicon reducer. You also need some 3” pipe (stainless or aluminium) to put between the two joiners. Plus obviously clamps...

Little bit of cutting of the lid, a 90 degree 3.5” to 3” silicon joiner and from memory a 3” to 2.5” silicon reducer. You also need some 3” pipe (stainless or aluminium) to put between the two joiners. Plus obviously clamps...

Depending on your turbo, the 2nd reducer's specs may vary. Gturbo Grunter for example has a 2.75" inlet rather than 2.5" like stock turbo, and it's much nicer when that actually fits opposed to stretching it over and having it pop off while driving or something.

Apologies if I'm hijacking this a bit....can someone tell me if running a custom airbox over standard with no snorkel will improve airflow and turbo spool?

@IanB Did you ever install that gauge into the 1FZ lid and take measurements? My turbo whistles at 18+ PSI and I think it's restricted by my airbox so I'm looking at how to move forward here without spending more on an airbox upgrade than I did my turbo, because that's just silly.

@IanB Did you ever install that gauge into the 1FZ lid and take measurements? My turbo whistles at 18+ PSI and I think it's restricted by my airbox so I'm looking at how to move forward here without spending more on an airbox upgrade than I did my turbo, because that's just silly.
Yup he did! Post #385. Link below.

That info is from the STOCK airbox lid, not the 1FZ. I'm curious if the 1FZ lid made a significant-enough improvement to bother, or if I need to start thinking about an entirely new airbox.

I did not install the restriction gauge in the 1FZ airbox lid, seat of my pants feel is that it outflows the 1HD-T lid, but that's as far as I got with it before we moved houses and everything got stuck in boxes where it remains to this day, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom