The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Collecting stuff for an upcoming intercooler install. So far I have:

- PDI FMIC + PDI trans cooler
- EGR delete plate for exhaust manifold
- OEM Valve cover gasket
- Feeler gauges to adjust valves
- OEM Gaskets for EGR plate, intake heater and PDI adapter (taking the place of the crossover pipe)
- EGT and boost gauge to be installed

Anything else I should do while I'm in there?

What radiator overflow did people end up using when installing a front mount intercooler? I've got an HZJ105.
I've used a 1l aftermarket overflow that is sealed. It's ok round town but when towing on the highway I eventually end up with an empty overflow.
Thanks
May i ask why you chose a front mount IC over the top mounted one? What are the intake air differences, if you happen to know?

Thanks

May i ask why you chose a front mount IC over the top mounted one? What are the intake air differences, if you happen to know?

Thanks

I've had both in the same 80 series. Started with the top mount with a pulling fan by one of the larger companies from down under. During its use on the 80 I went through 3 fans and finally it cracked on the side nearly the intake. The company had changed the design since I'd purchased mine and hopefully, I fixed some of the faults with the original as there are benefits with the top mount.

However, I was done sinking money into it and purchased a PDI front mount and have been pleased with the decision. The installation was much more involved than the top mount but nothing anyone with a small amount of mechanical skill couldn't handle.

Not the intake air temps, but the differences in the EGTs are huge. I can't remember the exact numbers but the are significant, like in the 100s of degrees F.

Last edited:

Thanks
they say top mount has heat soak.
and some don't like water to air because of potential leaks

I choose a front mount for better cooling when cruising at highway speeds

I've had both in the same 80 series. Started with the top mount with a pulling fan by one of the larger companies from down under. During its use on the 80 I went through 3 fans and finally it cracked on the side nearly the intake. The company had changed the design since I'd purchased mine and hopefully, I fixed some of the faults with the original as there are benefits with the top mount.

However, I was done sinking money into it and purchased a PDI front mount and have been pleased with the decision. The installation was much more involved than the top mount but nothing anyone with a small amount of mechanical skill couldn't handle.

Not the intake air temps, but the differences in the EGTs are huge. I can't remember the exact numbers but the are significant, like it the 100s of degrees F.
Understood, thank you very much for your clarification. My 91 is still all stock but as it's getting up in years i want to be nicer to the old block. Getting the EGT down by such a significant drop is... HUGE.

Again - thank you!!

Just starting my PDI intercooler install today. I've already run into a little snag.

2023-06-19 15.45.10.jpg

I have a 1HDFT and the glow screen relay assembly is mounted right where the intercooler piping needs to go on the driver's side (RHS)

2023-06-19 20.52.06 copy.jpg

2023-06-19 20.54.45 copy.jpg

So I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone relocated this relay?
2. Or should I just delete the glow screen heater? I'm in Utah and most winters are 10-30° F. The cruiser lives in a garage that stays in the 40s most of the winter.

I went with option 2 and haven't had any issues starting when in Western Colorado during the winter. However, I do have an inline coolant heater I plug in on the really cold nights if the 80 isn't in the garage.

I went with option 2 and haven't had any issues starting when in Western Colorado during the winter. However, I do have an inline coolant heater I plug in on the really cold nights if the 80 isn't in the garage.
Good to know! I did a lot of reading last night and found similar experiences from guys in Europe. I like the idea of simplifying all the wiring.

Question for anyone with a PDI setup -

JgXVjxx.jpg

These brass boost fittings - should I use thread tape or something or will they seal just fine on their own? Also it almost seems like the thread pitch is different - it only screws down 1/3 of the way. I don't want to force it. Thoughts?

Question for anyone with a PDI setup -

JgXVjxx.jpg

These brass boost fittings - should I use thread tape or something or will they seal just fine on their own? Also it almost seems like the thread pitch is different - it only screws down 1/3 of the way. I don't want to force it. Thoughts?
There NPT threads which are tapered. They should seal on there own but I use a bit of thread sealer as a extra precaution and I don’t crank them all the way down. Usually snug then adjust to what position you need that fitting to be in.

There NPT threads which are tapered. They should seal on there own but I use a bit of thread sealer as a extra precaution and I don’t crank them all the way down. Usually snug then adjust to what position you need that fitting to be in.
Great, thank you!

7vKhdIQ.jpg

Hopefully getting this install wrapped up this weekend. Overall, good kit from PDI. Fair amount of work disassembling, cutting holes, bending brake and AC lines. The only thing I've had to buy is more transmission hose. They sent about 3 feet and it wasn't quite enough.

Great, thank you!

7vKhdIQ.jpg

Hopefully getting this install wrapped up this weekend. Overall, good kit from PDI. Fair amount of work disassembling, cutting holes, bending brake and AC lines. The only thing I've had to buy is more transmission hose. They sent about 3 feet and it wasn't quite enough.
Nice piece of kit you got there!!! Looks great. I know some people have issues fitting there signal lights but looks like your in the clear!!!

Nice piece of kit you got there!!! Looks great. I know some people have issues fitting there signal lights but looks like your in the clear!!!
Hopefully not! We'll find out pretty soon. I drilled as low as I could.

Ok so I'm running into my first issue - the driver's side stainless pipe going to the turbo needs to go right where the PCV hose/airbox hardline is:

DyznRCD.jpg

uLw4PJi.jpg

I have a PDI airbox on order so it's not the end of the world but I might not get it until August or September. In the meantime, what's everyone else done? Chopped the hardline off the airbox and weld it shut?

Hopefully not! We'll find out pretty soon. I drilled as low as I could.

Ok so I'm running into my first issue - the driver's side stainless pipe going to the turbo needs to go right where the PCV hose/airbox hardline is:

DyznRCD.jpg

uLw4PJi.jpg

I have a PDI airbox on order so it's not the end of the world but I might not get it until August or September. In the meantime, what's everyone else done? Chopped the hardline off the airbox and weld it shut?
Can you tweek the PCV line out of the way?

I'd hesitate to cut it.
Someone else would probably appreciate that airbox lid

Can you tweek the PCV line out of the way?

I'd hesitate to cut it.
Someone else would probably appreciate that airbox lid
Can't tweak it, it's a metal hard line on the airbox. Agreed on not cutting it, it's out of production and mine is in great shape.

I'm going to email PDI on Monday and see what the lead time is on my airbox. If I need something in the meantime, it looks like I can get a 1HDT lid shipped for about $110. Not bad.

1770517010.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom