The official 1HDT Intercooler thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From my reading about this stuff from way back, I think tube and fin is more efficient.
But, I'm not sure there's a lot in that.
Bar and plate was less common 10 years ago. It seems to be the popular way to go. I don't know if that's because of marketing, durability, ease of manufacture, or performance, or if it's just because tube and fin doesn't quite have the right fast and furious rice burner look.

Here's a few semi-random pics from the web

View attachment 1674999
This drawing suggests air flow through the front of the core is smoother with tube and fin vs bar and plate.
Mine has nicely rounded leading edges on the tubes.

View attachment 1675000
Bar and plate top, tube and fin bottom.

Bar and plate literally is made up of bars to close off the edges of each section of the core (clearly visible above) and "plates" being the finned sections made up of the folded fins sandwiched between two plates.

Tube and fin use extruded tubes, the fins are a part of the tube.

View attachment 1675001
Bar and plate left vs tube and fin right

Tube and fin has wider galleries between the fins, less fins. This means less surface tension, less friction for the air passing through. It's less restrictive.
Trade off is there's less surface area inside, so questionably less heat transfer from charge air, to cooling air. But I think this is not clear cut.

View attachment 1675002
Front view, tube and fin to, vs bar and plate bottom.

Bar and plate has wide flat plates in between charge air galleries. Less efficient cooling air flow through the core.
If you're worried about an intercooler blocking airflow to your AC condenser, and radiator core, bar and plate may not be the best choice.

As far as durability, I think cheap tube and fin cores had a bit of a reputation the past for tubes splitting, some tube and fin cores have a narrow, tapered leading edge on the tubes for better air flow across the core. This could possibly be more vulnerable to cracking?
Bar and plate has more components, so more potential for leaks in welded seems.
Looking at the construction of bar and plate above, it would be more resistant to impact from stones, or abrasion from dust in an off-road racing scenario.

As far as efficiency, every commercial HVAC, or refrigeration core I've ever taken any notice of uses tube and fin construction. If bar and plate was more efficient, it would be in use for commercial stuff. Commercial HVAC energy use is huge. If there was even a small energy efficiency gain available by using a bar and plate core, big business would be on it.

Everything is a trade off. To my thinking, tube and fin has a more open, less restrictive charge air flow through the core. Air dwells less time in the core, maybe less heat transfer, but fins are an integral part of the tube, so better heat transfer. Turbulators (little fins in the tube) help with heat transfer, but cause less surface tension vs complete fins.
Tube and fin provides smoother, more efficient flow of cooling air across the core, so this gives better transfer of heat out of the tubes.
There's loads of variables, so I think it's hard to compare apples with apples.

I think realistically, with the size of the core I'm using, either construction type is going to provide far more cooling capacity than I'm going to need.
Glad I found this post before ordering a intercooler.

I got my PDI intercooler! ...and some couplings got lost from my kit in customs. PDI has replacements on the way.

Skkm019h.jpg

tTxkTa5h.jpg
Looks like a great piece of kit the oil cooler looks really similar to the one used in the “Tru-cool” brand of trans coolers.

Does anyone have any experience with this or this kit? I think they are both the same but one is in Australia and the other in china. The one on Alibaba is 625 shipped here. Or if anyone has any other recommendations, any help would be great!

Does anyone have any experience with this or this kit? I think they are both the same but one is in Australia and the other in china. The one on Alibaba is 625 shipped here. Or if anyone has any other recommendations, any help would be great!
It looks like I'm going to have fun assembling mine it's going to take some tweaking with the piping to get it just right..

what you see is what you get. mine didn't come with any bolts and the clamps are crap and the beading on the piping is not as pronounced..

ill be buying Constant tension spring-loaded T clamps and a tool to redo the beads on the pipe also new turbo has a 3" inlet so I'm picking up a 90 Deg silicone 3" to 3" to adapt to the factory airbox pipe.

for all your silicone intake fittings and couplings I have heard good things from siliconeintakes.com

I plan to be running water/meth injection so I'm also picking up this coupler

1663136840356.png

1663136439538.png

here is the tool in action

So some testing was done. Runs pretty good. My wife told me to slow down just once which is good. She never complains about my speed :)
Now I think the 3" is mandatory. Does anybody have an easy way how to explain to women, that the 3" exhaust really helps the turbo... etc?
View attachment 716323View attachment 716324View attachment 716325
is this one a bolt-in kit with no drilling? I'm curious about the routing of the pipes from underneath.

Of course I see this now... until yesterday I was sort of living in the next suburb.

Will have to stick my head in next year when I'm 'home' again.

View attachment 2982816
It looks like a tidy kit, though the core is slung low (vulnerable? Blocked by the front cross member when reinstalled?) and a result looks to only be 450mm or so wide to fit between the rails, whereas a 600 will fit up behind the grille. Piping on both sides runs under/outside the chassis instead of squeezing behind the indicators, solonger run and again potentially vulnerable?

Dunno... I'm nitpicking, but if I'm gonna spend the money I want the best possible result.

Just an FYI it looks like PEC Australia to be a clone of the HPD minus the hardware. Same tubes same bends but different intake adapter.

9781D229-C35C-48D6-A62A-4DDB2FAA00E2.jpeg

B88834A0-1E4F-4FB1-AFC6-5926E0295F84.jpeg
9912C2F0-80E9-416B-BB55-76714EE9FB1C.jpeg

Just compare the pipeIng From the official HPD diesel one. I took picture with the pipes in the same orientation.

OK, thankyou for that! Will have to go hassle them when I'm home in the new year.

Let us know how you go with the install!
I had to ask HPD for there instal manual because pec didnt come with one. I’ve uploaded for your viewing pleasure. It’s nice to see how the pipes are fitted.

Attachments

• IK-801HZ-F.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 105
Ended up buying the Alibaba kit, it was 700 shipped to the US. I'll let y'all know how it goes. At worst I use the pipes and adapter then buy a new intercooler and boots.

I had to ask HPD for there instal manual because pec didnt come with one. I’ve uploaded for your viewing pleasure. It’s nice to see how the pipes are fitted
I had to ask HPD for there instal manual because pec didnt come with one. I’ve uploaded for your viewing pleasure. It’s nice to see how the pipes are fitted.
so I got a bead roller tools as you can see the beading provided on the PEC kit wasn’t as pronounced. You can see before and after.
3B7C5C1D-E930-4B81-9B7E-A7312724B7A9.jpeg

@IanB Those are install pics, below is how it sits currently with a Nissan Patrol hood scoop.

I saw about 50-75F drop in cruising EGTs at 70 MPH 5th gear. I used to be around 750F now I’m closer to 650-700F depending on my throttle input.

However, on mountain passes I dropped ~150F but that’s combined with the intake lid mod, snorkel, and the fan on.

Also still stock CT26.

Dont mind my horrible cutting skills and dirty bay.

View attachment 2432608

View attachment 2432609
That's dirty

Tackled the Chinese intercooler today. Not super happy but for the price it gets the job done. Intercooler boots are longer than they need to be and some aren't at the perfect angle. I had to cut one of the 90s on both ends. The hose clamps are pretty ehh, I bought some nice ones once but of course, I lost them. Definitely an HPD copy. Don't judge my clear boost line, all I could find on a Sunday afternoon. Also installing an ARB bumper with a 12k Badland Apex winch tomorrow.
IMG_4029.JPG

IMG_4030.JPG

IMG_4031.JPG
IMG_4032.JPG
IMG_4033.JPG

Tackled the Chinese intercooler today. Not super happy but for the price it gets the job done. Intercooler boots are longer than they need to be and some aren't at the perfect angle. I had to cut one of the 90s on both ends. The hose clamps are pretty ehh, I bought some nice ones once but of course, I lost them. Definitely an HPD copy. Don't judge my clear boost line, all I could find on a Sunday afternoon. Also installing an ARB bumper with a 12k Badland Apex winch tomorrow.
View attachment 3191244

Forgive me, but isn’t that installed upside down….?

Forgive me, but isn’t that installed upside down….?
I followed the HPD instructions that show it this way.

I followed the HPD instructions that show it this way.

You're right. Core the other way up and your outlets would be bang in line with the chassis rails.

It looks clumsy, but is much less work to fit than the DPi version which requires cutting and is very crowded behind the indicators.

I'd be worried about the vulnerability of those front loops, and to me the extra work to fit the tidier version would be worth it, but each to their own.

I hope your system works well for you!

its lunchtime and I stopped for a coffee, I have done a bit of the IC install, took a while to blow the bugs out of the AC condenser but it cleaned up ok. Drilled the holes with a hole saw, and fitted the IC and trans cooler. So far I'd give the kit the thumbs up, all seems well made, good solid brackets and comprehensive instructions View attachment 1624952
View attachment 1624954 View attachment 1624955

View attachment 1624956
I like the trans cooler on this. It looks like a Tru-Cool LPD49211
1682315912008.png

What radiator overflow did people end up using when installing a front mount intercooler? I've got an HZJ105.
I've used a 1l aftermarket overflow that is sealed. It's ok round town but when towing on the highway I eventually end up with an empty overflow.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom