The noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday fellas

my 1996 1HD-FT 80 is making a click/clunk when turning. It makes it once when turning left, then once when turning right and so on. It’s when the weight shifts. It sounds like a metal click.

im at wits end and I’ve nearly replaced everything!

Knuckles rebuilt, wheel bearings, kingpin bearings (the works). CVs seem fine and were repacked with grease.

Springs are 2” OEM and I’ve tried reseating them in different locations. Not that.

Shocks are Ironman and quite new. Bushes fine.

new panhard bushes.

control arms bushes seem good.

Sway bars removed for a test.
I’ve recently had a crack in the panhard tower that was properly ground and welded. I’ve also looked extensively for cracks in the chassis but can’t find any.

all this and I still have the noise. I’m worried it’s a crack in the chassis that I can’t find.

Sound like it’s coming from the front passenger (in a RHD) side somewhere.

anyone got any tips?

thanks.

That’s a tough one for sure. All you can do is get under the rig and have someone turn the wheel back and forth till you can find where the clicking is coming from.

Last edited:
But the noise is not a constant click... I haven’t replaced them as they felt good. So I repacked them and reinstalled.

CVs wouldn’t click once would they, it would be a click click click as the axel rotated right?

Yes your right birfs would keep on clicking as you drive around a corner.

Could try re-torquing all the front-end bolts, sometimes bolts that aren't tight can make a noise.

That’s a tough one for sure. All you can do is get under the rig and have someone turn the wheel back and forth till you can find where the clicking is coming from.
Could try re-torquing all the front-end bolts, sometimes bolts that aren't tight can make a noise.
Tried that mate... or do you mean loosen them off then retorque?

Ive only checked the tightness and they’re all tight as!

Sounds like you need some chassis ears (i.e. Amazon product ASIN B07K3XZR7R). They are expensive, but maybe cheaper than shooting the full-on parts cannon? Maybe could tape your phone to different suspension parts while recording and driving, as a poor-man's version of chassis ears? Or just go see a mechanic that has a set.

Last edited:
Does anyone reckon that you could get a single click/clunk when turning from

a) a CV
b) Front driveshaft

it’s almost the only things I haven’t replaced 😂

I would also look around the steering gear for frame cracks. Many documented cases of steering frame rail cracking around the pattern of the gear body.

Also look at the panhard bracket on the axle.

A single click once each direction woul lead me to cracks in the frame or body, tie rod ends, loose steering arms, and possibly even trunnion bearings.

Knuckles rebuilt, wheel bearings, kingpin bearings (the works). CVs seem fine and were repacked with grease.
Just a quick question, when you did all this work, did you happen to remember to grease those brass bushing up inside the spindles when you put everything back together?

Yes I did. Why’s that?
Why's that, some Mud members have forgotten to grease those bushing when doing a knuckle overhaul, and they are known to to make noise if they are dry, that's why i asked the question.

Why's that, some Mud members have forgotten to grease those bushing when doing a knuckle overhaul, and they are known to to make noise if they are dry, that's why i asked the question.
Just asking mate, I always graese them (just a little bit of molly). Can you explain how the brass bushing in the spindle could make a noise?
The only thing they come into contact with is rotational and lateral movement on the smooth part of the axle ?
Screenshot 2021-01-08 103004.png

If you do a search you'll find more then a few threads about this very subject. If they are assembled dry, they are known to make grinding, and popping noises that most members report seem to be coming from the knuckles. That's the reason why i ask you if you greased them. Since you did that removes one more possible cause of what might be making you're noise.

Interesting - what year did the spindle come with needle bearings? Mine's a 1996 and the spindle doesn't have needle bearings.

Interesting - what year did the spindle come with needle bearings? Mine's a 1996 and the spindle doesn't have needle bearings.
That i don't know for sure, but i just replaced both my spindles with new spindles, and both of those new spindles came with the needle bearings.

I would second checking the frame for cracks on both sides where the panhard connects. Also get a big pry bar and really pry on the components, ie the control arm to get a good check on the bushings. Your noise description sounds exactly like control arm to frame bushing noises I experienced...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom