The noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

retighten your wheel bearings.

if that doesnt work repack your knuckles with the proper grease.
Wheels bearings are new and tight (double checked). Noise has been there before and after.
Knuckles are also rebuilt with enough grease. Noise has been there before and after.

Are you sure it's not a beer can rolling around under the seat? ;)

Another couple of thoughts.

Could a word spindle cause a click noise? It didn't look worn.
Could the front diff or axle make a single click noise when weight shifts left to right? There didn't seem to be any lateral movement in the end of the birf (where the circlip is)

The noise sounds like it's coming from where the chassis frame meets the body mount (body mount has been replaced, wasn't the cause). Almost the front guard area...

Check the panhard bushing, some people make the mistake of putting the rears in the front. Bolt size is different and when you turn you get a clunk since the bushing is sloppy on the bolt.

Cheers

Check the panhard bushing, some people make the mistake of putting the rears in the front. Bolt size is different and when you turn you get a clunk since the bushing is sloppy on the bolt.

Cheers
Already checked mate. Replaced the panhard bushes the other week and torqued to spec. (old ones were fine).
All the things I've tried are in the first few updates. I'm deeply invested :rofl:

Ok, I can replicate the noise by shaking the truck "laterally". The dull clunk noise is the one I'm trying to locate.
New suggestions are: a stone or bolt in the chassis frame... maybe I'll check that later tonight.

If you jack up the front and set the axle on jack stands, rotate the steering wheel left/right does it make a sound?

I'll bet it's your 10mm socket dropped behind the block and laying on top of the frame.

Ok, I can replicate the noise by shaking the truck "laterally". The dull clunk noise is the one I'm trying to locate.
New suggestions are: a stone or bolt in the chassis frame... maybe I'll check that later tonight.

Shake & Bake Ricky Bobby.

Exhaust? Motor mount? Tranny mount?

And you've checked your front panhard bracket for cracks under the steering gear?

And you've checked your front panhard bracket for cracks under the steering gear?
Yes. I did have a crack in the panhard mount weld (mount to frame) which I got welded up. But can’t see anymore cracks.

the noise isn’t coming from there though. It’s coming from the passenger side.

Is there a can of oil or something stuffed into a fender well (or a jack and handle) that moves when it is flexed or moved?

My old Chevy truck made a sound similar to that, but it was the tailgate hinge straps and the semi-float axle shafts hitting the center block in the differential.

Maybe a sway bar bushing/bolt/bracket or a loose shock mount.

So I had a dream last night that my mind went through everything that it could possible be and I think I know what it is.
The only thing I didn't replace and TBH didn't really inspect it very well is the SPINDLE!

I reckon my spindle is worn and the wheel bearings are "rocking" back and forth a bit, but it's only under load and almost impossible to replicate with your hand on the tyre. In saying that I did manage to get some movement out of it with a big pry bar, only on the side with the noise.

Sooooo I'm going to replace the spindle I think. What do you guys reckon, plausible ?

So I had a dream last night that my mind went through everything that it could possible be and I think I know what it is.
The only thing I didn't replace and TBH didn't really inspect it very well is the SPINDLE!

I reckon my spindle is worn and the wheel bearings are "rocking" back and forth a bit, but it's only under load and almost impossible to replicate with your hand on the tyre. In saying that I did manage to get some movement out of it with a big pry bar, only on the side with the noise.

Sooooo I'm going to replace the spindle I think. What do you guys reckon, plausible ?
Did you replace the trunnion bearings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom