The noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replaced the spindle. Made a bit of difference. Not the noise though. Bugger.

back to square one.

could I have worn king pins causing a click/clunk? Wouldn’t I feel movement from that?

also the sound is coming from the ps pump area (hard to tell) BUT I want to rule out that it could possibly be the ps pump - it wouldn’t make a single click/clunk on turning left to right and Bose versatile would it?

thanks fellas.

No kingpin on the 80 series, maybe you meant trunion bearing?

I have a feeling this is something simple like an exhaust hanger.

I feel for you though, I hate noises, rattles, clunks, etc..... I really hope you figure this one out. If you were close to me I would come try and help you find it.

Motor mounts????

No kingpin on the 80 series, maybe you meant trunion bearing?

I have a feeling this is something simple like an exhaust hanger.

I feel for you though, I hate noises, rattles, clunks, etc..... I really hope you figure this one out. If you were close to me I would come try and help you find it.

Motor mounts????
No not the trunnion bearings (I’ve replaced those), I’m talking about the pin in the top steering knuckle cap or the pin in the bottom steering arm (that go into the trunnion bearings)

Clutching a straws now

No not the trunnion bearings (I’ve replaced those), I’m talking about the pin in the top steering knuckle cap or the pin in the bottom steering arm (that go into the trunnion bearings)

Clutching a straws now
Wouldn’t engine mounts make a noise on acceleration or deacceleration rather than shifting right to left or left to right?

Wouldn’t engine mounts make a noise on acceleration or deacceleration rather than shifting right to left or left to right?
You would think so, but if this were my rig I would be checking everything at this point.

What about a cracked wheel?

I am taking the shotgun approach at this point lol

for the most part yes, or going from reverse to drive or drive to reverse. i would think that is the mounts were bad enough that they were shifting around while making a turn you would have other indications that they were a problem.

did you check your tierod ends, i had a clunk that i couldnt find for the longest time as well. checked the tierod ends as you would normally do by holding the tire in the 3 and 9 position and rocking back and forth, always no movement. went under and grabbed the tierod bar and moved up and down, found play in the ends and found the clunk.

i would maybe consider looking for the noise inside of the truck, maybe its something rolling around or shifting its position when turning. noises can come from weird places and show up somewhere unrelated due to noise transfer

I apologize if someone already mentioned this but I didn't see it. Have you checked all of your exhaust mounts? I had a really annoying clunk sound that would only happen every now and then and usually when I pulled into my driveway. Found out it was a broken exhaust mount and the exhaust was bumping the frame when I went over a bump just right.

Thanks for everyone’s input but it’s none of the mentioned things.

I now suspect a crack in the frame but can’t find it.

i know there are speciality services that can find cracks but are very expensive.
I would have though a crack in the chassis loud enough to hear it clunk would be easily found.

ive tried prying on everything!

totally at wits end. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Thanks for everyone’s input but it’s none of the mentioned things.

I now suspect a crack in the frame but can’t find it.

i know there are speciality services that can find cracks but are very expensive.
I would have though a crack in the chassis loud enough to hear it clunk would be easily found.

ive tried prying on everything!

totally at wits end. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I don't think Wits' End, Solutions for Problems You Didn't Know You Had - https://absolute-wits-end.com/ sells clunk stop kits other than bushings....... :rofl:

How about throw a camera under the truck and then do the shake and bake thing again, or drive it around in a parking lot, and then take a look at the video. You might see something in Slow Mo that you did not see with a visual inspection on a static vehicle? I have seen a number of vids of folks analyzing their Death Wobble and other suspension issues this way. Perhaps even do it focused on one side or the other.

Still haven’t found the noise which drives me to insanity. May have to rebuild the whole truck 😂

Here’s my latest thinking: could one of my birfs be slapping into the spindle? Or maybe the axle hitting the end of the birf because the circlip has broken

Eg axle moving laterally

I really need a few guys to help me rock it and I reckon I’ll isolate it (hard to find good help around here!!)

440C632C-86AD-45FE-998E-1F816095113D.jpeg

Thought I’d post an update since I invested so much time and effort to finding this bastard noise.

well I’ve found where it’s coming from.
The chassis/frame near the cross brace rod appears to have a crack down the weld. You can sort of see from these endoscopic camera down the frame rail (inside).

if I clamp the frame like I’ve done in the pics the noise isn’t there anymore.

im hoping I can just grind the frame where the joint weld is, then re-weld. Thoughts?

FE280A23-30C1-4C30-846B-6A390A7F09CC.png
30CB9018-E76E-4C23-BACB-4CAF223026DE.png

7A637EE7-06DE-4AE2-AB1C-B0C676FD66B4.png

3D65AD4B-9872-47D8-B854-02D4CF015900.jpeg

75D7BEB7-955B-4A4F-97BB-3F27F94EFDEC.jpeg

Congratulations, with good weld prep and the right expertise with a welder, you should be good. Amazing that such a crack made all that noise.

Thought I’d post an update since I invested so much time and effort to finding this bastard noise.

well I’ve found where it’s coming from.
The chassis/frame near the cross brace rod appears to have a crack down the weld. You can sort of see from these endoscopic camera down the frame rail (inside).

if I clamp the frame like I’ve done in the pics the noise isn’t there anymore.

im hoping I can just grind the frame where the joint weld is, then re-weld. Thoughts?

View attachment 2676363View attachment 2676364
View attachment 2676365
View attachment 2676366
View attachment 2676367

Nice, and you finally found the perp. You could certainly try welding the crack. I am sure it would at least work for awhile.

If it were mine I would grind, prep, and weld the crack. Than I would grind the new weld flat and reinforce the area by welding a piece of plate to the frame in an attempt to strengthen it.

Not sure if this is where your crack is but something like this should give you an idea of what I am trying to describe.

80 Series Chassis Repair Plate - https://trundlesautomotive.co.nz/products/80-series-chassis-plate

Goodluck

I have a very similar noise but on the driver side. Will be checking this ASAP. I was leaning towards it being the frame side radius arm bushing but not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom