The noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Were your control arm (frame side) bushes noticiablly worn or had movement ? I agree with you that's what it sounds like. Mine dont budge, but then again who knows how much force im really putting on them.

Have you experienced the dreaded "Death Wobble" yet?
Good indicator something is worn or loose.
I did a recent front end service and on left front the circlip on the end of the stub axle had come off. This meant the axle could move in and out making a single clunk when turning. Might be a start.

I'll add another vote for checking the frame for cracking around the steering box, and on the other side where the panhard brace goes to the frame.

Also, check the bolts through the radius arms at the diff are torqued fully.
My first 80, the PO had neglected these, and the holes became elongated. I would get a heavy click / clunk when turning, or crossing a driveway on an angle that shifted the weight on the suspension

No death wobbles. All bolts and torqued to spec and don’t make a noise when I pry on them. All bushes are in good nick.

I’ve looked and looked and I can’t find any cracks in the chassis at all.

Do you guys think this is a crack?
It's definitely around where the noise is coming from.

It's REALLY hard to pinpoint when the engine is going.

It's hard to get a good view but it's the passenger's front chassis, near the chassis crossover frame and engine mount.
Left front chassis (looking down).jpg

Left front chassis (looking down) 2.jpg

Would something like that make a click/clunk/crack sort of noise?
Do most mechanic outfits own a set of "ChassisEARS" or does anyone else have any good tips/tricks on how to test/prove it ?

I don't think that is a crack. It's just the edge of the piece of the frame.

Cracks will usually have a little rust stain along the crack.

Have someone steer the wheels side to side (engine off) while you listen and look under the truck.

Were your control arm (frame side) bushes noticiablly worn or had movement ? I agree with you that's what it sounds like. Mine dont budge, but then again who knows how much force im really putting on them.
Assuming you were asking me. My frame side bushings were not noticeably worn or loose with a visual inspection. The big pry bar revealed a little movement. After I pulled the arms and clamped them in a vice I put a piece of rod in the bushing and torqued on it. At that point it became very obvious the rubber was torn and allowing too much movement.

I don't think that is a crack. It's just the edge of the piece of the frame.

Cracks will usually have a little rust stain along the crack.

Have someone steer the wheels side to side (engine off) while you listen and look under the truck.
Thanks. I didn't think it was either. It's all I can find that looks suspicious.

Assuming you were asking me. My frame side bushings were not noticeably worn or loose with a visual inspection. The big pry bar revealed a little movement. After I pulled the arms and clamped them in a vice I put a piece of rod in the bushing and torqued on it. At that point it became very obvious the rubber was torn and allowing too much movement.
Yes I was. Thanks. I can get a little movement out of the radius arm bushes (with pry bar) and I can't really see the condition of them while installed. I've re-torqued the bolts but didn't make a difference.

The bushes look like the original 1996 bushes - I wonder if it's worth just replacing them (as I'm already way too invested to find the culprit)

Yes I was. Thanks. I can get a little movement out of the radius arm bushes (with pry bar) and I can't really see the condition of them while installed. I've re-torqued the bolts but didn't make a difference.

The bushes look like the original 1996 bushes - I wonder if it's worth just replacing them (as I'm already way too invested to find the culprit)
Absolutely worth it, 25 old rubber doesn't owe you anything. Replace with OEM for another 20+ years of service.

Also, I would recommend investing in the 20 ton harbor freight press and bushing press tool from wits end. You can change them in one evening and instead of paying a mechanic you get to keep the tools. I also think wits end sells the bushings, or @cruiseroutfit can get you the bushings.

Goodluck

Get your rubber parts from www.partsouq.com. 2/3 price of domestic and actual Toyota parts.

Well, replaced the control arm bushes today. Truck handles great ------ but the noise is STILL there. :bang:

I swear the only things left are:
CV.
Crack in chassis that I can't find.

Well that sucks to hear, does the rig have caster correction of any kind? I ask because sometimes caster correction can cause the steering linkage to hit the control arm. This usually happens when turning and flexing the suspension. It's an easy thing to check, just look at the steering linkage above the control arms and see if there is any evidence, IE shiny metal or scratches.

It might just be one of those things where you need to keep driving it until it gets worse and bad enough that diagnosing the noise becomes easier.

Had a thought today. My front OME 851 springs don't have the spring hats (cushion) ontop of them anymore. Should they have? Could this cause a noise?
If yes, and yes, I wonder if some spring spacers (30mm or so) might work ?

Fronts don't have the cushions. Only the rears

You will find it. You could just invest in a louder stereo. Thats typically my solution to weird noises I can't solve

retighten your wheel bearings.

if that doesnt work repack your knuckles with the proper grease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom