The new Nissan Armanda vs. Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to All,

A very dear friend of mine wants to sell his Toyota Sequoia and purchase instead the new Nissan Armanda, I have pleaded with him if he wants sell the sequoia to go ahead and get himself a 100 model or an 80 model but he is looking for horsepower as you know the Armanda has well over 300hp's. vs. the modest 230 or so on the sequoia or the LC.

Also what sold him most is the off road package that was displayed in the SEMA car show (click on the URL below and look for the yellow Nissan Truck in the middle of the screen)

http://autos.msn.com/advice/photogallery.aspx?contentid=4022213

My questions are:

-if I convince him that the LC is the route to go, then can he install a SC on the 100 model as I know that some of you has SC on the 80 model but for the 100 model can it be done and how much HP can you gain out of it ????

-Is there a TRD package that handles such an application for the 100 model ????

All the help you provide will be appreciated.

Thanks

Al

Here are the specs on the Nissan Off Road package.

The Axis Sport Tuning Nissan Pathfinder Armada is customized with Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Axis Warlock 20-inch wheels, Toyo Open Country tires, external rollcage, a Warn winch, PIAA lights, and PPG chrome yellow paint.

TRD does make a supercharger for the 100 series. They are going for $4k at toyotaparts4u.com. It says: "Up to a 50% increase in horsepower (maximum gain is 235 HP vs. 353 HP at 5200 RPM) Up to a 50% increase in torque (maximum gain 239 lb.-ft. vs. 359 lb.-ft. at 5200 RPM) Torque increases 32% at 2800 RPM Boost pressure: up to 7 psi", according to the website. Tell your friend to get the 100 series and bolt this right on. This is the best way to go. Forget the Armada!

Sammy,

Thank you very much for the reply, I knew something like a TRD SC does exist for the Toyota truck line up, I just did not know if it available for the 100 LC model, now I will have to pass this info on to my buddy and see if he can divert his attention from the Nissan to LC considering that he can purchase a clean used one and take it to the dealer to install the SC which means he can save a lot of $$$ by doing so when comparing it with the brand new Nissan Truck

Does any one know where I can get any technical write up on the SC install on the 100 model, I may end up installing it with him if he buys the 100, I just need to know how much time consuming is it ???? he is very mechanically inclined when it comes to complex applications but if we need to work with the dealer to avoid mistakes I would appreciate your recommendations on the matter as well.

Thanks Again

if he's looking at driving a vehicle around that at all resembles that yellow thing, let him go and buy it -- because that looks like he's more in the Honda Element/hype market than the cruiser market --

:)

e

[quote author=Desertmaster link=board=2;threadid=12468;start=msg114283#msg114283 date=1078318883]
Also what sold him most is the off road package that was displayed in the SEMA car show (click on the URL below and look for the yellow Nissan Truck in the middle of the screen)
http://autos.msn.com/advice/photogallery.aspx?contentid=4022213
[/quote]

Every year car manufacturers take their latest SUV's and drag them through the aftermarket "bling bin" and come out with different "restyled" versions of their junk. If your freind is going off of what he's seen here, tell them the same treatment has been done in the past to the likes of the Pontiac Aztec, Ford Escape, Honda Element, etc. to make them look like hard-core offroad vehicles. But if all he cares about is the looks of the vehicle, which the fact that he's basing his purchasing decisions on SEMA pictures would indicate, then I'm with Eric on this one: he deserves what he gets.

Having said that, I've never driven an Armada nor do I plan to. Power is nice but it is but one facet of what makes an automobile. I'd buy the Land Cruiser without any more thought than that.

I don't like the Armada for the same reason I didn't like the Sequoia, it feels like I'm am sittin in a tunnel, unlike the great visability and open feeling of the 80's and 100's. That said, between a Sequoia and a Armada, I think the Armada is nicer.

Cary

[glow=black,2,2]Can your friend say ...[/glow]
HEY LOOK AT ME ... I'M A BUMBLE-BEEEEE !!!
[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

the Armada and Titon(sp) are prolly the uglest trucks I have seen in years........might have HP but............UGLY! There is just something about Nissans thats not quite right..........only Nissan I would have would be a 240Z.

The 100 Series Super Charger / Blower is no longer available & has been temporarily put on hold by Mr. T :(

The unit has been reported to cause engine damage and will be on hold until the engineers figure out the problem.

Joe

If your freind is going off of what he's seen here, tell them the same treatment has been done in the past to the likes of the Pontiac Aztec, Ford Escape, Honda Element, etc. to make them look like hard-core offroad vehicles. But if all he cares about is the looks of the vehicle, which the fact that he's basing his purchasing decisions on SEMA pictures would indicate, then I'm with Eric on this one: he deserves what he gets.

Having said that, I've never driven an Armada nor do I plan to. Power is nice but it is but one facet of what makes an automobile. I'd buy the Land Cruiser without any more thought than that.

I'm under the impression that most of the US public buys cars based on looks and/or horsepower, granted the hp numbers may never be achievable under normal driving conditions. Who was it who said, "Horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races?" I think this is one reason why virtually all the new 4runners I've seen on the road have been the ones w/ the new V6 and part-time 4wd instead of the 4.7L V8 w/ full-time 4WD. The V6 specs at a little more horses than the V8, but we all know the V8 performs much better for offroading, everyday driving and towing.

So the question is: how many people really installed a SC on their 100 model and reported engine failure ? I know of none because most of them never had the SC installed and I did not know of it's existence until today.

[glow=black,2,2]DM ,

That makes the statistic even more alarming ; no ? :eek:[/glow]

[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

The TRD release dated 18 Feb 04 states:

"TRD is investigating a potential issue with the engine controls. At this time, we anticipate all V8 supercharger part numbers will be on hold until March 15, 2004. However, this date may be further delayed depending on the results of our testing.

Please note that this situation does not affect any parts that have already been shipped to dealers."

I have not heard of any engine damage and the release indicates that existing dealer stock is not a problem. I believe that if that were an issue they would have asked dealers to hold their stock or return it. My guess is it may be something along the lines of emissions or something dumb like that.

D-

As usual Dan you are the best, thanks for the clarification on the situation, now all I have to do is help my buddy locate a clean 2001-2003 100 model with 30K miles or less.

Al

Dan

Evan mentioned it was causing problems in the engine according to the TRD engineers. What damage - I have no idea - could be something simple / dumb, or to them excessive wear.

also, as you mention they haven't recalled any units yet - just no more production / supplies until they figure out the problem. Evan mentioned that last week he talked to the engineer and they haven't found the trouble yet - so I don't think they will make the release date

Joe

[quote author=Jim_Chow link=board=2;threadid=12468;start=msg114408#msg114408 date=1078333373]
Who was it who said, "Horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races?"
[/quote]

I believe that was Mr. Enzo Ferrari, who knew a thing or two about engines.

[glow=black,2,2]Wasn't Caroll Shelby eh ?[/glow]

Hell, I dunno. I was watching a program on Discovery or something, and they attributed it to Mr. Ferrari.

[glow=black,2,2] I was curious and did a Google search for it after you mentioned Ferrari , and found different sources offering that quote by ... Caroll Shelby . Not that it really matter eh ? :slap: :flipoff2: :beer:[/glow]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom