The new Nissan Armanda vs. Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would agree that is was Carroll Shelby, after all he was the guy using 427 Side Oiler engines in his MarkII Cobra's. They had far more torque that Mr. Ferrari's V-12 gems.

Cary

To each his own, but that Armada is butt ugly. I drove my cousin's and
I hated the thing. He had the tow package with a huge towing capacity
and it rode like a buckboard wagon when going over minor bumps I wouldn't
even notice in the 80. It did have lots of storage compartments, cup holders
and gee bobs. The cousin was real proud of that. He did express concern
about the blind spots when backing the thing even with it's garbage truck
beeping while backing. He's thinking about a rear camera. I did like the GPS
navagation being built in however. For my money it's a Mall tripper.
Like Grandpa says: That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

[glow=black,2,2]Hey , I've had garbage truck beeping for a while now ... didn't want to run the lil neighbourhood kids over :eek: Simple as a bulb replacement on the 80 .... might serve well in court if I do manage to miss something , and wasn't being reckless at the same time ; I hope .[/glow]
[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]

Hi AL welcome back. I installed a SC on my fathers Tundra this past fall. It's quite involved and required removal of the intake and some re-wiring. This was because it was for an early 2000 Tundra as I beleive later production trucks had the needed wiring changes in them already. You can expect to hear the whine of the SC when you get on it and need that extra power. No offense, but you might want to rethink installing it yourself unless you buddy is used to working on vehicles in this manner. One of the herder parts of the install was to locate the proper plugs for the truck. The dealers can't get them and they had to be ordered for a company on the internet. Several people advised me that the standard plugs were fine, however I'm a little anal about following TRDs recomendations on forced induction. Best of luck

[quote author=Desertmaster link=board=2;threadid=12468;start=msg114301#msg114301 date=1078320557]
Sammy,

Thank you very much for the reply, I knew something like a TRD SC does exist for the Toyota truck line up, I just did not know if it available for the 100 LC model, now I will have to pass this info on to my buddy and see if he can divert his attention from the Nissan to LC considering that he can purchase a clean used one and take it to the dealer to install the SC which means he can save a lot of $$$ by doing so when comparing it with the brand new Nissan Truck

Does any one know where I can get any technical write up on the SC install on the 100 model, I may end up installing it with him if he buys the 100, I just need to know how much time consuming is it ???? he is very mechanically inclined when it comes to complex applications but if we need to work with the dealer to avoid mistakes I would appreciate your recommendations on the matter as well.

Thanks Again
[/quote]

For the installation manuals go to: http://www.trdusa.com/InstallManualsList.asp

You need to left click on the yellow "*" to the right of the appropriate model years to display the PDF. Right click and you can download it.

Nissan Armada have big problem with NVH. All magazine test mention NVH as Armada biggest problem. Most mention just what Gundy mention that it ride like a buckboard.

Safari makes a turbo system for 4.7 V8 engine also. This should be a lot better than supercharger just like 80 series.

um sorry but that yellow armada photo looks worse than a blinged up H2. The armada looks like a minivan hybrid to me and has way too many gratuitous angles and fake bulges. Only thing uglier is the new Envoy vista cruiser thing.

I have a 1999 100 series with a TRD s/c installed. I had the dealer installed for warranty issues. I have installed a few s/c on the 80 but the install on the 100 seems a lot more involved and there was computer work in there too. I mainly did it for the warranty. I have not heard of any issues with the s/c for the 100 series but I will ask my dealer if there are any issues with it.

As for the the truck with the s/c, the power is amazing, I have had friends drive their normally aspirated 100 then drive my truck and they can't believe how much power is there. I didn't really noticed much in the mpg department but my truck also has 35" SSR swampers.

Let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you. The s/c doesn't help me off-road but it sure helps on the way to the trailhead. :eek:

Amando

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12468;start=msg114468#msg114468 date=1078339701]

The TRD release dated 18 Feb 04 states:

"TRD is investigating a potential issue with the engine controls. At this time, we anticipate all V8 supercharger part numbers will be on hold until March 15, 2004. However, this date may be further delayed depending on the results of our testing.

Please note that this situation does not affect any parts that have already been shipped to dealers."

I have not heard of any engine damage and the release indicates that existing dealer stock is not a problem. I believe that if that were an issue they would have asked dealers to hold their stock or return it. My guess is it may be something along the lines of emissions or something dumb like that.

D-

[/quote]

Dan,
Can the tranny/clutch handle the extra torque of the SC? I noticed it's also available for the '03 4runner V8, which might be using the '00-02 4spd 100 series tranny?

Jim,

I know of no transmission failures related to blower equipped vehicles. The automatics in particular are quite durable and by design absorb the torque.

Thanks to all of you who replied with their thoughts.

Rick, Thaks for the heads up on the complexity of the install, I thought I can give my buddy a hand or two and learn something in the process but it appears that we must go to the dealer shop due to the warranty issues that might come of it if any.

i4c4lo, Thanks for making your self available for the project, and I might get back to you as well as others with more questions.

Hell if this project goes in the right direction I may end up buying me a 100 model and SC'ed but I will never get rid off the 80 as this one is very close to my heart.

Thanks again guys.

Al

[quote author=T Y L E R link=board=2;threadid=12468;start=msg114582#msg114582 date=1078350299]
[glow=black,2,2] I was curious and did a Google search for it after you mentioned Ferrari , and found different sources offering that quote by ... Caroll Shelby . Not that it really matter eh ? :slap: :flipoff2: :beer:[/glow]
[color=555555]T[/color][color=2E3136]T[/color][color=555555]Y[/color][color=2E3136]Y[/color][color=555555]L[/color][color=2E3136]L[/color][color=555555]E[/color][color=2E3136]E[/color][color=555555]R[/color][color=2E3136]R[/color]
[/quote]

Damn that Discovery Channel! My encyclopedia of useless knowledge has been corrupted!! I think I'm going to write a letter...

:mad: :mad:

His wife is in love with the Sequoia not him, besides he wants something with off road capabilities as well as on road power.

The Sequoia was a total nightmare on Cape Cod sand last year, I yanked him out twice with my 80 in the rough stuff.

I suggested the 80 model but he was leaning in the favor of the Nissan due to HP, but now I have him convinced that the LC is the route to take. ( I shared with him some of your thoughts & comments from this board and that got him convinced, Thaks Guys).

Although I told him he can strap a SC to clean 80 model and have the best of both worlds, he is opting for the 100 model thinking that the V8 with the SC bolted to it will provide amble power in comparison to a supercharged 80.

Thanks Rick for your feed back.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom