The Mule / 73’ with a past? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Blastservices

SILVER Star
Threads
This truck has turned into a slight project / constant challenge to make it operate as it should. I purchased it because of a need to have a mode of transportation in NC. Figured I’d grab something I’ve wanted since my college years and this truck was sorta what fit the bill. I wanted a unrestored preserved truck as orignal paint does make me happy verse someone else’s short cuts and lack of proper steps. I sacrificed and got this one because it was basically completely taken apart and zinc plating done on every single item that they could think of. It just meant to me that it didn’t need to be fiddled with for the most part. Or so I thought.
I already introduced this to another thread but now I’m finding i need a place to land the documentation of all the work I’ve done and am doing. Get answers and advice here and there and maybe get some missing doodads.

F3F01105-689C-4910-BC77-FBD869656390.jpeg

0A4C1869-6C81-4E35-A71E-AB179B100418.jpeg

EB039E9C-7673-482F-A620-92866F5C9C7A.jpeg

C34A7250-D029-4DF3-87D4-AAD4BF13D6FB.jpeg

7E38582C-3104-42B1-837C-DB5AA711AE31.jpeg

Glad to see you’re going to do some continued documentation on your new rig, there’s no better place to do it than here.
55’s require a lot of attention from you no matter how much money you throw at them. There’s always something there to keep your mind spinning whether going to or retuning from a destination.
Did you find that section of peeling paint on the underside in the area of where the rear heater mounts?

Last edited:
First thing Required was a one way flight to Miami from Tampa. I was told the truck had mostly everything intact with some maybe brake issues. I’m a gambler and have done way dumber buys and much sketchier drives in my life so I figured how bad can they be?
The boaster turned out to be hissing and leaking vacuum but that didn’t feel like it was the only issue. Seemed like it had a hard pedal and would eventually stop but no panic stops were on its future.
Then there were no gauges. Gas gauge was inop as was the temp. Now we are getting sketchier. Still a gamble I was willing to take. I paid for the truck and left and pulled into a gas station across street and started to top off the tank. Now a old Cuban man came out and was yelling at me because I was leaking fuel all over the ground as I filled up. I laid under the truck and realized it was not something I was fixing on the fly and shook the dice one more time said screw I’ll drive this lit fuse home I just need to close my eyes and hope for the best. Off I went into traffic with a good steady drip / stream coming from an odd location on the top of the tank above the seam. Now it’s sputtering on hard acceleration. It wasn’t doing this on the test drive. Points closed? Burnt points? Clogged fuel filter? Who knows …. Let’s keep going. Now I’m at a auto parts store procuring a fuel can and back to another gas station and a quick top off and fill of my spare and onto the interstate I go.

As I travel 5hrs north I’m now at the entrance of alligator alley…. For those that aren’t aware of this stretch it’s a barren section of interstate in south Florida that has nothing no help and no gas stations except one in the middle. As I hit the toll plaza the truck dies… hahahah I’m thinking this fun! It restarts and I press through. Right onto the hard stretch that no one is there to help. It’s pouring rain like it does in Florida just enough to cool you down then the sun comes through and cooks you.
I make it to Pumta Gorda area across the state and it runs out of fuel. I pull over and dump my spare can in and splash some down the carb take note of the radiator cap leaking all over and press on.
later that day I make it home but immediately dive in starting filing / adjusting points, setting timing and take it to the house.

Last edited:
Probably be easy enough to fix if you were to find the paint code they used.
I assume you looked at this truck? The paint being the way it is won’t hurt my feelings at this point. It was probably marginally prepped and it appears to be laquer paint since the quarter panel under the fuel fill is bubbled from venting issues.

Welcome to the world of Pigs. They will try your patience and wallet, You’re in the right place for help, support and encouragement. We’ve all (most all anyway) been surprised at what we get into on these “projects”.

Still sorting out a tank and have one paid for and waiting to see if it ships in the next day but while I wait I derusted the tank and dried it out and lined it and spray bombed the areas I tried to patch with more silicone bronze. The entire top of the tank was cut off above the seem and accessed for some odd reason? Then put back together and installed. Leaking in about 12 spots all around the welds. I have it installed so I can press forward and get running and swap out later with another better starting point. Later on that.
The clutch chattered pretty badly and I wondered if it were just a bad clutch disc… out came the trans and transfer case. As I pulled it and started taking the pressure plate washer that had been ground on one side were shimming the pressure plate off the flywheel? Maybe they machined the stepped flywheel incorrectly? Not sure. The flywheel has been resurfaced and parts arrive later today. Back together with that once the brown truck shows…

Tge three fingers on the pressure plate… anyone care to chime in and explain the adjustment and why one is completely different than the other two?

C8DEEE56-5234-4F0A-A4B4-265F5F218A9C.jpeg

27FF6733-CF40-4A1D-B98A-A672B43857D9.jpeg

5093E6BB-923E-455B-9AF8-A059A9D4AB07.jpeg

4A8DF26C-D739-48AE-8E3E-B89059C84A06.jpeg

ACB68D91-8BEC-4191-8928-D65C61715188.jpeg

Last edited:
Like you, a few of us have found out the hard way that no matter how good you make 'em look, there's always something. Still seems to me you're starting from a better place than most of us did.

Well it sure LOOKS pretty, hope you get it sorted enough to enjoy regardless of what the shine is hiding.

Well it sure LOOKS pretty, hope you get it sorted enough to enjoy regardless of what the shine is hiding.
I’ll get it sorted. The challenge is fun!

here is how I also started the adventure.
The keys weren’t in super brand new shape but both were original to the truck. They both had their codes stamped on them. After talking with a locksmith friend of mine and him telling me the blanks were tough to find I decided to search. It’s actually how I found this site. Toyota Matt came into the fold…

32BD4D31-D16D-4C61-BB19-3A2A84FB3E5F.jpeg

9BFC7400-446E-4D9C-A07C-7D19EBDEFC8F.jpeg

E225E6B9-62FE-4088-A40A-C52F0380941D.jpeg

03950866-C214-403C-ACAB-3D27E1838CD6.png

846B0DC0-5306-41F7-9C5E-B5E01271A168.jpeg

Matt has the original shorty keys for the door, tailgate and gas filler for these trucks. It’s literally unobtanium if you have looked for them you will know. He also had some other items I was interested in so I splurged a little with him. Good guy! Def is passionate about all things Toyota and will go the extra mile. Thanks, @ToyotaMatt

Last edited:
but my later style has always been smooth.
I believe that was the reason for the diaphragm clutch with all the fingers, easier on your leg muscles. I don't know why those three fingers are adjusted different either. I don't remember seeing adjusters on them, been many moons ago.

So the 3 finger clutches are the earlier 3 spd clutches. When they went to the 4 spd transmissions (H42), they changed over to the diaphragm style (or somewhere thereabouts).
I myself have zero experience with 3 finger clutches on LC’s, but my later style has always be
So the 3 finger clutches are the earlier 3 spd clutches. When they went to the 4 spd transmissions (H42), they changed over to the diaphragm style (or somewhere thereabouts).
I myself have zero experience with 3 finger clutches on LC’s, but my later style has always been smooth.
I just need to dig into a manual. I realize there is a difference between the F and 2F I’m just wondering what the adjustment feet on the end of each of the three fingers provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom